IGNORED

new shafts for irons - now playing all different

Note: This thread is 4629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

I play callaway X-20 irons 7-SW, and Cobra Baffler rail hybrids 4-6 (sig needs to be updated).  I really like the setup, but I have a few issues.  Over time, I've lost a few of the clubs on the course, and a car ran over my original AW.  As a result, I've been buying irons from callaway pre-owned and ebay to replace, but due to stock issues and price issues (as well as me not really getting into golf until xmas of this past year), I didn't pay much attention to the shafts in the irons.  As a result, I have different shafts across several of my irons.  In my 7,9, PW and SW I have Callaway Uniflex Steel, in my 8 iron I have Callaway Graphite, and in my AW I have an aftermarket graphite.  In the 4 hybrid I have an alida NV shaft, and in the 5,6 Hybrids I have the stock Motore shaft from Cobra.

I hit my 8 iron about as far as my 7, and the only difference is the shaft.  For some reason that graphite shaft in the 8 gets the ball up and gets it far with the same swing.  I have a much harder time getting the four off the ground than the five and the six.  Sure, some is due to loft, but after looking up the shaft in the 4 hybrid I found it has a low launch, where the stock shaft is mid-high so that might have something to do with it.  I also love the Callaway grips and hate the cobra grips.

Due to an uptick in business recently, I want to go ahead and get new shafts so that they are consistent across the set.  I have searched old threads and found quite a few discussing new iron shafts but haven't found answers to exactly what I am looking for.

Some stuff about me:

My 150 club is my six iron hybrid (this didn't use to be the case, but after taking lessons my distance went down and my accuracy went way, way up).

I shoot in the high eighties on the relatively easy course I play at, and mid-90s at the hard course.  My handicap is 18.

I swing about 86-90 mph.

I would like a high launch angle, as my shots by nature are usually low flight (too low) rather than higher.

Questions:

Can I put the same shaft in my hybrids as the rest of the irons?

Should I use a different shafts in the wedges?

My favorite club is the 8 iron, regular flex, graphite - and it goes about 135-140, the same as the seven iron with uniflex steel.

I think I want graphite because I don't experience with the graphite shafts the "ball spray" problem that some discuss.

Ever since I got steel shafts (my previous Iron set, a cobra s9 2007, had graphite), my hands have experienced some significant pain after playing 3 or 4 days in a row.

So, I think I want graphite, regular flex, high launch angle for the irons and hybrids?

Any input would be much appreciated.  I'd like to get 4-SW new shafts and the callaway grips and would love suggestions on the shafts.  Thanks!

John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I looked at the cost of doing this, and found the cost to replace the shafts on all my irons with anything decent was more than a new set would cost.  It may not be the same for you, but I'd compare prices.  The Callaway Uniflex is between a regular flex and stiff flex.  The graphite shaft might be regular flex which would indicate your swing speed is better suited to regular shafts.  I'd go to a pro shop and get fitted.

As for shafts between irons, hybrids and woods I've never heard of matching the woods and irons, but some have matched hybrids and irons.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

I think you should find a used set of Adams "a" series irons with regular Grafalloy red graphite shafts.  Based on your swing speed and experience with graphite, this is my #1 recommendation.  If you want to go the shaft route, get on ebay and order some Aldila VS Proto 85 gram regular shafts.  They are a bit pricey, but worth it.  I think you will need the .355 size tips, but you can check with Callaway to be sure.  Aldila makes the VS Proto for hybrids too, so matching will not tbe a problem.

This would be my thinking as well.  You are probably looking at $45 per club for the shaft, intallation, and grip.  So probably close to $400 by the time taxes are figured in.  Your best bet would be to sell what you have and hit up the used market for some new sticks.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I looked at the cost of doing this, and found the cost to replace the shafts on all my irons with anything decent was more than a new set would cost.  It may not be the same for you, but I'd compare prices.  The Callaway Uniflex is between a regular flex and stiff flex.  The graphite shaft might be regular flex which would indicate your swing speed is better suited to regular shafts.  I'd go to a pro shop and get fitted.

As for shafts between irons, hybrids and woods I've never heard of matching the woods and irons, but some have matched hybrids and irons.

Note: This thread is 4629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!