IGNORED

Umbrella for Sun (v. Rain)

Note: This thread is 4842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Executive Summary : should I get a separate sun umbrella, or will my rain umbrella suffice? Main Post: The third round of my Club Championship a month or so ago began in the rain. The club didn't cancel, and it's a good thing -- I was in the third group off and the rain stopped seemingly as soon as I holed out on the first green. But it did cause me to finally get an umbrella holder for my (push) cart, which I finally installed yesterday. Now, I do own a 62" rain umbrella, and it fits nicely into the umbrella holder (appropriately). So if it starts raining heavily and I have my umbrella with me, problem solved. My question is: how do these work as a sun umbrella? I will be in the south-west for most of the rest of summer, but am then moving to the pacific north-west (where I understand that I'm not supposed to put out the rain umbrella until it's heavy downpour... which is fine, because I can enjoy a light rain just fine). Of course, I hear the sun comes out there too.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I think you're okay using them as a sun umbrella. The only downside might be that they're heavier because they are made for rain.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If you're getting something just for the sun, you might be okay with one of those telescoping umbrellas that you can get at the supermarket for $10. They're smaller and a lot more flimsy, but if you don't want to lug the rain umbrella around, and there is no chance of rain, the smaller ones are a lot lighter. Or you can just save the money and use the rain umbrella.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I use one of those huge Nike umbrellas during the summer to keep the sun off me when I'm walking. I stick the thing in the holder on my Sun Mountain 3-wheeler, hang my glove and a towel on it, and smile when people stare. I could care less what people think, it's actually cooler under there!  :)

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Note: This thread is 4842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!