IGNORED

The Classic - what irons?!?!?!?!

Note: This thread is 4660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by max power

Let me add that I've had nothing but great results buying clubs off ebay.  Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but on multiple occasions I've used ebay to pick up irons/clubs I wanted, often with upgraded shafts and with brand new grips for much, much less than I could find locally.  I've bought clubs from local shops too-if the price is competitive there's no reason not to support the local merchant and build a relationship.  But ebay has been great, just research who you're buying from.

I agree. I've never had any trouble on ebay with fakes. A few minutes of research and some common sense will save you the headache later down the road.

Don't be afraid of Ebay.

Check out some Ping irons if your looking for some slightly GI irons. For some reason I love the way most Ping irons feel during the swing (weight and look) but Im not too fond of tungsten weight in the toe of the irons they have been doing (s56 etc). I dont like when club makers start putting tungsten in the irons. Anyway, I think for someone looking for slight GI, maybe more so than a players cavity iron which to me is the same as a blade, then take a look at the Ping I15. Those are great irons and I seriously would play them, they just feel right to me.

Originally Posted by motteler621

Check out some Ping irons if your looking for some slightly GI irons. For some reason I love the way most Ping irons feel during the swing (weight and look) but Im not too fond of tungsten weight in the toe of the irons they have been doing (s56 etc). I dont like when club makers start putting tungsten in the irons. Anyway, I think for someone looking for slight GI, maybe more so than a players cavity iron which to me is the same as a blade, then take a look at the Ping I15. Those are great irons and I seriously would play them, they just feel right to me.

I like the S series. Is there Tungsten in the toe on all of them? Can you actually see or feel it?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Agreed.  I'll take the tungsten to get the smaller head and less offset that comes with the S series.  I also like the I10s a lot.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I like the S series. Is there Tungsten in the toe on all of them? Can you actually see or feel it?

Hijack alert:

I buy a lot of stuff on eBay from clothes to computers. I have bought golf clubs too. I'm now afraid to new clubs. I would buy used clubs on eBay. If you want to give eBay a try, here's some advice:

http://www.*********.com/fake-counterfeit-golf-clubs/

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I like everything but the tungsten aspect, even the I15's have the tungsten insert in the toe. Whats the purpose of having a tungsten weight in the toe though, why dont other irons have it? Seems like it would cause the blade to stay open?

That is the purpose-that's why they put it in their player's irons.  I almost got the I15s last year, great sticks, just didn't have the feel/sound on impact of the MX-200s or the X-Forged.

Originally Posted by motteler621

I like everything but the tungsten aspect, even the I15's have the tungsten insert in the toe. Whats the purpose of having a tungsten weight in the toe though, why dont other irons have it? Seems like it would cause the blade to stay open?

Originally Posted by max power

That is the purpose-that's why they put it in their player's irons.  I almost got the I15s last year, great sticks, just didn't have the feel/sound on impact of the MX-200s or the X-Forged.

yea I dont know. The Ping website says its to make the iron more stable on off center hits, I just thought it might make the iron stay more open as well. Dont see too many irons with a weight in the toe. Having said that, Ive hit the I15's and didnt notice anything heavy in the toe really. Plus I have a ping tour w with the same tungsten weight and dont notice it. I tried my R11 with the heavy weight in the toe and it made the driver feel totally weird, I hit a natural draw with all my clubs and I still didnt like it with the heavy weight in the toe

cheers guys, im getting my current crappy clubs fitted next wednesday, so hopefully can get the right set up and groov my swing and begin saving for a new set that i can buy with the right set up from the get go,.....could be a long time coming as im setting up my own company in the very future, so all monies will be investing and saving for the time being

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

Am I heading in the right direction of forged cavity backs? should i not rule of MB's completely?

For a 24 capper, you are to expect a lot of info to get yourself something with a lot of forgiviness ...... I must admit, that is good advise in general, but some people prefer MB's and hit them better than any CB or GI irons, So if you are a bit serious about golf and willing to invest time, there are no arguments against MB's ..... and if you prefer dispersion above distance it might be a good option to actually choose a stiffer shaft than you are fitted for.

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

How do you guys rate the mizuno Mrange? 63 and up? gorgeuos looking irons but i fear out of my handicap range?

There is nothing wrong with Titleist Forged irons, but compared to Mizuno...... they have a harder feeling, so if you prefer a softer feel, you will like Mizuno MP better...... MP-63 ...... if you like them, you might also like the MP-62 (which I personally prefer above the MP-63) ..... if you like the MP-68 (soon to be replaced by a new model) ....... you can save your self lots of $$$ by buy a second hand set of the MP-67/MP-37/MP-33

A bad shot with an MB iron, isn't a good shot with a cavity or game improvement iron ...... sure you will get punnished for bad contacts more than with GI iron, but the rewards of the (in the beginning) few pured shots with MB's is great ....... and most people do nothing else than keep repeating what others say about MB's and how difficult they are ...... nonsense ....... they are as easy to hit as any other iron ...... but offer the opportunity to work the ball in any way you want (and sometimes they will work the ball for you, when you weren't trying for -;)))))))))))))))))))) )

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Here are some irons that offer a lot of forgiveness with quite a lot of workabilty as well...and they arent chunky to look at.

Callaway diable forged
Titleist AP1
Taylormade R9s (last years model, but they are sweet clubs)
Adams CB2.

I've hit all of those, and they sound perfect for you! My personal pick is the callaways. They just feel sooooo good. Plus Fredrick Jacobson won with them last week

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need." 
Will Rogers 

thanks for the input guys :) will let you know how my fitting goes on wednesday! need new grips to, mine are making my hands go black :S

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

• 2 weeks later...

Give the Nike pro combos a look there for all types of players, i love em!

In the bag....

Driver-Titleist 910D2 8.5 diamana ahina Xstiff/ 3wood- Taylormade r9 tp 15degree motore f1 stiff/ 5wood- Titleist 910F 19degree diamana stiff/ 3i-pw- Nike forged pro combos DG x100s/ sw- 54degree titleist spin milled 2011 vokey cc/ lob- 60degree Ping tour S/ Putter- Odessey white hot tour #9.

Note: This thread is 4660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!