IGNORED

Bubba Watson at The French Open

deasy55
Note: This thread is 4627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As for "not saying anything disrespectful" - he couldn't emphasise enough that he would not be returning to the European tour. Ever. Good, I find him massively overrated anyway, an his "eccentric" schtick is zzzzzz and very forced.

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

He just said he was uncomfortable at the tournament I don't see how that is being disrespectful towards the game...

Ok I give up! :)

C'mon guys.  It's been "rumoured" that he refused to share the car.  Of course the French, who are our best friends, would never make up a lie about an American.  And he's a casual guy, who probably isn't all that well-versed in European history and culture, so, when put on the spot, he couldn't remember names the Louvre or the Arc de Triomphe, and just said the big tower, etc.

As for him being disrespectful, maybe he shouldn't have said he doesn't ever want to come back, but as an American who has lived in Europe, I understand, at least partially, what he's talking about.  He speaks his mind.  I'd rather watch an interview where a guy tells me what's really on his mind that just spouting off the same "oh everything is wonderful, etc." every time.  Not to mention, there's a level of casualness in the States that is almost horrifying for some of the more formal European cultures, which could also have offended the French.  People forget that "cultural understanding" is a two-way street.  And it's also easy for Europeans to forget how culturally isolated we Americans are.  In Europe, a 3 hour drive puts you in another country with another culture/language/etc.  I can drive 8 hours and still be in Texas.

To me, this is just yet another piece of sensationalist journalism looking for a story on a slow day.

No, it's not 'rumoured'. The sky team just confirmed it earlier, and Ewan Murray said how disappointed he was in his behaviour etc.

Originally Posted by makaveli

Darkhunter139 that's the point: Bubba Watson is a professional player right? So, EVEN IF he had a bad couple of days he should always be respectful towards the game and also to the journalists and the host country, otherwise you he is just a spoiled guy full of himself who everybody will forget in a short time. Golf is first of all etiquette, we should never forget this!

Originally Posted by makaveli

Ok I give up! :)

Are you giving up because you can't come up with a good explanation of his supposed "disrespect"?

What did he do to disrespect the game?

How did he disrespect the journalists?

How did he disrespect the host country?

Tiger Woods is a spoiled guy who is full of himself.  Will people remember him?  He isn't teaching golf etiquette 101 either.

I think you are stretching for reasons to "hate."

Haha @ you asking such obvious, diingenuous questions. How did he disrepect people? If you've watched the interviews, you really wouldn't have to ask that, unless you're either a fanboy or being intentionally contrary.

Can you post the link?  I cannot find any mention of on skysports.com.

I did find an article where the EuroTour commissoner stated that their securty is lax compared to what Bubba is used to in the States and that Bubba did not receive an appearance fee.

Originally Posted by Plox

No, it's not 'rumoured'. The sky team just confirmed it earlier, and Ewan Murray said how disappointed he was in his behaviour etc.

I tend to agree with the "sensationalist" comment.  We're not seeing the full contents of the interview here.  We're only seeing snippets.  A lot of this seems to boil down to a perception, by mostly EU folks, that since Bubba doesn't know much about Paris, he's being disrespectful.  As mentioned briefly before, this is Bubba's first trip to Europe and it wasn't a sight-seeing trip.

As much as most people in Europe couldn't conceive not knowing the name of the monuments in Europe, the same is true of the US.  Just so everyone is on the same page, here is a great map showing a comparison of the US to Western Europe: http://goeurope.about.com/od/europeanmaps/l/bl-country-size-comparison-map.htm

As mentioned above, both links posted seem to contain the same snippets without the rest of the interview.  "Attractive reporter"...really?

The whole car thing is ridiculous because it is not verified and we don't know the specifics of the contract he signed to play over there.  Watch the video interview.  I think that shoots closer to the truth than what we've read about, at least in this thread.

Carlos

I watched the interview on the Eurotour website where he was speaking to a single reporter after the round. Is there another inteview that I can watch that shows disrespect and rudeness toward the reporter?

I would be happy to watch other videos if you can post them and they are watchable in the States.

If they were have such obvious answers, why don't you enlighten my by giving your heartfelt response.

Haha @ you asking such obvious, diingenuous questions. How did he disrepect people? If you've watched the interviews, you really wouldn't have to ask that, unless you're either a fanboy or being intentionally contrary.

I think that says a lot about you if you find no disrespect in his behaviour.

Let's see:

- Refused any interviews with sky prior to the tournament

- Played on a beautiful course, in a beautifil city, yet looked and acted like he couldn't care less

- I wonder if the first reserve felt happy watching this?

- Complained about the noise, having to walk through crowds, even though everything was as standard (does he expect every event to be the same as a big US event?)

- Disrespected said crowds by insinuating they contributed towards his poor performance

- Disrespected the organisers by STRAIGHT AWAY claiming he would never come back

- Disrespected his playing partners by looking like he'd rather be anywhere else, and this includes the many people who no doubt pandered to his every requierment

- Disrespected the other Euro player who he 'snubbed' over the car

I could go on, but if his behaviour is acceptable to you, we have very different ideas on what a well known/paid tour pro should act like...

Let's see:

Players refuse interviews for various reasons all the time.

- Played on a beautiful course, in a beautifil city, yet looked and acted like he couldn't care less

How so?

Why should they not?

- Complained about the noise, having to walk through crowds, even though everything was as standard (does he expect every event to be the same as a big US event?)

He said its not necessarily bad just different then in the US.

- Disrespected said crowds by insinuating they contributed towards his poor performance

I think he was just pissed that they were using their phones which is because of how the event is managed not because they were being inconsiderate.

- Disrespected the organisers by STRAIGHT AWAY claiming he would never come back

He answered a question.  Do you want him to lie and say he is going to come back?

- Disrespected his playing partners by looking like he'd rather be anywhere else, and this includes the many people who no doubt pandered to his every requierment

How many players look thrilled to me there when they are having a bad round? Give me a break.

You would have to know more about the situation to say that.

I could go on, but if his behaviour is acceptable to you, we have very different ideas on what a well known/paid tour pro should act like...

Originally Posted by Plox View Post

Let's see:

Refusing interviews is not disrespect. He told them to contact his manager. If they had done so, they would have probably gotten their interviews. He is under no obligation to grant interviews outside of the press conference before the tournament. Now, had he said that he will not do an interview because they are a terrible reporter for a crumy newsouce I would agree with you.

And that is disrepectful to whom? He said he loved the city. And how does one look like he couldn't care less on the course.

Of course not, he wasn't playing! :)

He didn't complain per sey. He said it was different. And made him uncomfortable.  Is it not vastly different from a tour experience in the States? Even the Euro commish admitted as much when he said that security is lax compared to the States. Not sure who or what this disrespects.

No insinuation, they did contribute towards his poor performance as he is not used to those types of crowds. If you are uncomfortable, are you going to play your best? They make him uncomfortable and that was a factor in his poor performance.

Again, how is this disrespect? He was asked if he would return and he said no. If he had said I won't be back because the organizers are crappy, I would agree with you.

This one I am in partial agreement on with issue to disrespect to the fellow players.  I doubt any players pandered to his requirements though.

Speculation about the car.  No proof or any reasons from Bubba on why.

If you find this completely intolerable, you need to grow a thicker skin. You are doing nothing to cease the stigma that Euro's are "soft".

Haha, yeah, it's the 'soft' Euros fault. Great generalisation, btw.

Silly me, his behaviour was gracious, accommodating and he was generally a great ambassador for golf! Silly Euros being soft.

Never been a big Bubba fan; I always got the feeling that he is pretty full of himself. This just confirms things for me. His not coming back to Europe comment... does this mean no Open Championship for him, or is he too dumb to figure out that is held in Europe too?

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Originally Posted by gogolfing

Never been a big Bubba fan; I always got the feeling that he is pretty full of himself. This just confirms things for me. His not coming back to Europe comment... does this mean no Open Championship for him, or is he too dumb to figure out that is held in Europe too?

If you actually watched the interview before making that stupid comment you would know the answer to that.

I've come to take anything Bubba says in context of the very moment he says it, and nothing else. He talks before he thinks about the message, and doesn't wait to censor himself. He gripes about courses he doesn't like, even when he's winning on them. There's nothing deep or serious about his sound bites, and I doubt even he takes them beyond face value.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Haha, yeah, it's the 'soft' Euros fault. Great generalisation, btw.

Silly me, his behaviour was gracious, accommodating and he was generally a great ambassador for golf! Silly Euros being soft.

I knew I would get shit for that, but the discussion was getting stale!

In the American sports landscape, Europeans have always been considered "soft."

I never said his behaviour was gracious or that he has ever been a great ambassador for golf.  It was, however, not disrespectful.

I guess we will have to chalk this one up to different cultures.  I blame Lance Armstrong for this whole mess.

I am still waiting on links for other videos/interviews to watch.

Originally Posted by shades9323

Are you giving up because you can't come up with a good explanation of his supposed "disrespect"?

What did he do to disrespect the game?

How did he disrespect the journalists?

How did he disrespect the host country?

Tiger Woods is a spoiled guy who is full of himself.  Will people remember him?  He isn't teaching golf etiquette 101 either.

I think you are stretching for reasons to "hate."

Thank you Plox for answering, that was more or less what I wanted to answer, I see that we have the same ideas in mind, cheers!

Shades 9323, I give up because since you guys want to defend Bubba and his behaviour, there is no way to make you change your mind or at least understand that that guy have no class at all. Anyway, no problem, if you are proud of this guy, good for you, I am proud of Manny! Cheers ;)

p.s. I really would love Bubba to stay in the USA for The Open, we don't want such selfish punk to cross the ocean

Note: This thread is 4627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!