IGNORED

Super Embarrassing Range Moment

codwater
Note: This thread is 4669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was hitting at the range yesterday with a friend. I recently got a new bag and some new irons. This was my first time hitting them and using my new bag. I went at around 1:30, which was my first mistake. It was hot and HUMID. Once I got to the range, I realized I had not switched my glove over to the new bag. The humidity made me nervous, but I wasn't going to buy another glove. The whole reason I was hitting balls at the range was to avoid spending too much money.

I was having a decent time hitting. I worked from my wedges all the way up to my 4 iron, and I was stroking about 80% of my shots, which is a great day for me. I went back down to my wedges, and the unthinkable happened. I slung the club straight out of my hands. Now I have thrown a club out on the range and seen it done many times, but this was worse. The club slipped out of my hand during the last part of my follow through and ended up hitting the concrete above, which house the second level of stalls. The club ricocheted  off the concrete and flew about 30 feet from the concession area. The whole range pretty much paused and watched me sheepishly pick up my club and apologize. I checked the club for damage, and there was a small nick  where the head meets the shafts.

I took a 15 minute break and drank down a power aid. I tried to wait for a few of the people who hitting next to me leave. I went back out and finished strong hitting with my 4 iron the rest of the time. In retrospect it wasn't as bad as it seemed at the time. As soon as I got home, I made the complete bag switch.

i've seen people lose their grip and consequently their club several times.  it happens.  one time i was playing a short course with a friend of a friend, and on the 10th tee, he lost his grip swinging and flung his club a good 30-40 yards to his left in the follow through and managed to hit the side of the cart barn.  a couple of guys in there stuck their heads out to see what all the noise was, and he went over and apologized.  they were cool with it, and i told him afterwards "hey man, don't worry about it, no harm, no foul."  it bothered him the rest of the afternoon, though.  he was really embarrassed.  i kept trying to tell him it wasn't any big deal, but it didn't do any good.

Yeah, that's embarrassing.  But I know the feeling.  At Sleepy Hollow GC here in KY, about 20 years ago, I was on the first tee.  It's about 270-280 and the tee is right next to the owners house.  I had an old Tourney 2-wood that I loved, and was trying to hit the green.  It slipped out of my hands and went flying over my left shoulder, probably 40-50 feet high right against the brick of there house, then came down on their patio.  A lady came out and handed it to me just like it happens daily, but I was red as a beet.  And the club was scuffed up really bad.

I once hit the ceiling at a driving range when i was 13 or so. Tee was too high and I ballooned it straight into the roof. Embarrassing to say the least

I tend to keep most sets of irons once I purchase new ones so I have a few extra sets. I let friends who don't have their own sets use them occasionally. This year during our schools golf tournament I loaned out all of my sets and my wifes set. My friend who was using the first set of irons I owned (ping eye 2's) ended up putting some sun tan lotion on before hitting at the range. Of course the 8 iron ends up slipping out of his hands. I was checking people in so didn't see it but some other friends said it flew about 100 yards and slammed into the ground breaking into two pieces (the range at Industry Hills is astro turf over cement). I was told he didn't know what to do and just kept hitting different clubs until another friend asked everyone else to stop hitting so he could run out and get it.

I always get embarrassed when stuff like this happens to me too.. I then quickly realize that everyone has those kind of moments, not just me, and I get over it pretty quickly. With that being said, I hate hitting my clubs without a glove. Even with Iomic sticky grips I still feel like the club could slip out of my hands at any time when I'm sweating.

Don't worry... I had to yell "Fore!" on the top deck of a range when I first started playing. I had a combination of teeing the ball too high and just sucking at golf and the ball flew behind me onto the putting green.

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

I was in a stall behing an older gentleman the other day, and he had a strange case of gas. He was letting em go in his downswing. I was biting my tongue so hard I could hardly swing.

Embarrassing....for him.

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

I was in a stall behing an older gentleman the other day, and he had a strange case of gas. He was letting em go in his downswing. I was biting my tongue so hard I could hardly swing.

Embarrassing....for him.

LOL! We have an older guy that plays with us pretty often and it seems like he lets it go on every tee box, I kid you not! It amazes me at how much gas he has!

When my buds and I were very new to golf, we played on course that was lined with houses.  My bud was having a terrible day snap hooking the ball.  On one of the latter holes, he thinks that maybe he's gripping his club too tight, so he loosens his grip.  He promptly snap hooks that drive.  Well, he figures his grip is still too tight.  So, he tees up another ball, loosens his grip even more and swings.  The next thing we see is a club flying through the air and it sails over the backyard fence of one of the houses.  We had to drive to the front of the home and ask the homeowner if we could go into her backyard.  She says to us, "Don't feel bad, people lose their golf balls in my backyard all the time."  We said, "Well, we're actually looking to retrieve a club."  She paused a bit then burst out laughing.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Originally Posted by deasy55

I once hit the ceiling at a driving range when i was 13 or so. Tee was too high and I ballooned it straight into the roof. Embarrassing to say the least

That happened to my friend who does not play golf and it almost hit him haha.

My first trip to the range I broke my dads driver, the head just flew off out onto the range.  The very next day I go with my friend and when I hit his driver the thing snaps in half and the head along with half of the shaft hit a metal barrel about 50 yards away and made a very loud sound.  They were both pretty old and cheap clubs but it was still hilarious.

The last time i lost a club was about 12 years ago, and it was 8 holes into a rainy golf day, the misty days were you can't help but get wet. I don't understand how you can loose a club from humidity, never has happened to me. Why not just dry your hands off before each shot. I would check to see if your grips are worn out.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by saevel25

The last time i lost a club was about 12 years ago, and it was 8 holes into a rainy golf day, the misty days were you can't help but get wet. I don't understand how you can loose a club from humidity, never has happened to me. Why not just dry your hands off before each shot. I would check to see if your grips are worn out.

Same here.. I played baseball for over 10 years and in all my time of playing baseball or golf I've never lost a piece of equipment during my swing.. Now that I say that, it'll probably happen next time I play and will be super embarrassing. Hahaha.

I was on a golf trip to Myrtle beach.  we were playing a hole with water directly in front of the green.  My buddy hit his pitch shot and his wedge slipped out of his hands and went right into the drink.  I never laughed so hard in my life.  He laughed too. He told that story every time we were there after that. LOL  I'm smiling just remembering it.

The range I use has a lot of grass available, and the only time I hit off the mats is when it's really wet out.  Anyway, two months ago, I was out after a huge rain storm that left the range looking like a swamp.  I have a problem with getting too steep on my mid to long irons, and when you're on grass, it's not a problem as you just end up taking a larger divot (I always hit the ball first so there aren't any contact issues).  When you get too steep on an astroturf mat, the mat tends to grab the club enough to bend and/or break the shaft.  While hitting a 4-iron, I got too steep, the shaft buckled as I was making contact with the ball, and on my follow-through, I felt the club snap in half.  I hung on to the grip end of the shaft, and the clubhead and the other half of the shaft flew about 30ft behind me and almost went through the range pro shop window.

One time at the range, i sliced a drive, and somehow the ball hit the guy-wires on one of the poles holding up the netting, ricocheted right back and almost killed the guy next to me. i was too stunned to yell "fore!"

I was at a casual golf outing once with about 16 people, and I was in the first group to tee off so not only had my foursome watching me but everyone else in the outing hanging out at the first tee box watching me tee off.  I shanked my drive and everyone was like take a mulligan........and i was so embarrassed but proceeded to put another tee in the ground as i normally do towards the left side of the tee box to play a draw and as I begin to address the ball i realize i put the tee in too close to the tee box marker such that I couldn't take my stance because it was smack dab in the way of my left foot. Then everyone watching start chuckling and commenting but I was so embarrassed to bend over and re-tee, i just toook my awkward stance and fired off another...................shank. FML.

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

A couple summer's ago I was playing in Florida and some rain was on its way towards us. I joked around with the group about playing with a friend in high school who had his 5-iron slip from his hands in the rain and fly into the lake behind him, on his follow-thru. Our friend's dad owned the course so he got him another from the lost & found at the pro-shop. Well I go to tee up, and my driver did the same thing, slipped out of my hand, and into the lake behind me. Different course, same set up. luckily drivers float - my friend decided to hop in the lake for me and retrieve my club. My shot turned out in the fairway.

Note: This thread is 4669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!