IGNORED

Need a new 3 wood, suggestions?

Note: This thread is 4652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I found that I hit my 17 degree 4-wood about as far as a 3-wood.  I also can hit my 4-wood off the deck much better, so I dropped a 3-wood all together.  I used to carry a 2-iron that I used off the tee a lot, but not anymore.  What I'm missing is a club to hit a high shot ~200 yds for long par 3's.   I hit the 4 wood too long and too low.  Might look into a 6 or 7-wood, but seems to be a real specialty club that I might not use for much else.

G15 Driver 10.5° * G10 Draw 4-Wood * G10 Hybrid 18° * i3+ 3-SW Irons

Tour Action 60° LW

SLOTLINE J-Stroke Putter

I absolutely love my R11 14* 3-wood...adjustable by 1* higher and lower and face open/close as needed.  The feeling is a little dead as compared to some others I tried, but the face is so hot the ball just takes off like a rocket. I also have G15 irons and driver and tried the G15 & i15 3-woods...just didn't match the distance of control of the R11.

Driver:  i15 (8*)  3W:  R11 (14*)   Hybrids:  G10 (28*)    A12OS (25* & 19*)  Irons:  i20 (7i-UW)    Wedges: CG14 (54* & 58*)   Putter:  Scotty Cameron Red X5    Ball:  Penta   

"What other people may find in poetry, I find in the flight of a good drive" -- Arnold Palmer  

Check out the Cleveland FL 3 wood.   It is a very nice club!

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

Well, laying here all week with my knee iced down thinking about 3 woods is about to drive me crazy. I wish I could hit some balls with my new G15 4 wood and some with the VR Pro 3 wood with the loft dropped 1*. I've looked at just about every 3 wood on the market and every club on ebay. Since I've kinda got it in my mind that I need a 13-14* 3 wood and the Ping i15 and the Titleist 909F3 fit that mold and along with my credit can get one new for $75-80 out of pocket, that's where my focus has been.

I been reading all the reviews I can find on both clubs and I have concerns about both. I'm worried that the club head on the i15 will be too small compared to the g15 4 wood and may be a little strange switching between clubs. My concern for the 909F3 is that it will be too hard to hit. From what I've read the reviewers talk about needing a high swing speed to get the most out of this club. I think it has a lot to do with the high CG and it takes a good swing to get the ball in the air but since I'm planning on using it mainly off the tee can it really be that hard to hit?

I guess not being able to get out and hit balls is making making me stir crazy. Man I hope my knee heals up quick.

Originally Posted by cruzthepug

I'm still struggling with a decision for a 3 wood. After playing the VR Pro it just doesn't have the distance and tends to balloon on me. I think it's all in the shaft, Project X 5.5, and I think a stiff 6.0 would be much better. I did pick up a Ping G15 4 wood and I'm now thinking of either a Ping i15 14* 3 wood or a Titleist 909F3 13*. I've got a $75 store credit with TGW and both are on sale. I'll keep looking for the next couple of weeks, I had knee surgery last Friday so I'll won't be able to try the 4 wood for a few weeks.

ive had a hit of the VR Pro 3 wood, titleist 909F, cleveland launcher and a mizuno jpx 800.. all with stiff shafts mostly vodoo all 15* i'll share my experience with you;

(scale of 1-5) [1 being good, 5 being outstanding]

VR Pro

Distance: 4

Workability: 2 [offset really bugs me out, so i see a hook before i swing]

Launch Height: 4

Feel: 3

Looks: 4 [ classic looking but the offset.. zzzzzzz]

titleist 909f

Distance: 4

Workability: 3

Launch Height: 3

Feel: 2 [ never really liked the feel of a pure shot from anything titleist]

Looks: 4 [great looking club]

Cleveland Launcher

Distance: 3

Workability: 4

Launch Height:5 [nice and high for a soft landing into a par 5]

Feel: 5

Looks: 4

Mizuno

Distance: 2

Workability: 2

Launch Height: 5

Feel: 5

Looks: 2

this is all purely subjective...

as much as the cleveland was the best club out of these, i think im gonna stick to the VR pro, solely based on the distance off the tee, as i rarely ever use a 3 wood on a par 5

I replaced my '07 Burner 3 & 5 woods - really nice clubs too - with a Ping G15 4 wood. Main reason for the switch was that I was able to replace 2 clubs with 1 and made room for an extra wedge. I only hit my 5 wood off the deck and 3 wood from the tee, so was not making the most of my 14 clubs. I now use the 4 wood for both, it is as long as my old 3 wood and is excellent from the fairway and light rough too. I can't comment on the Nike, but the Ping G15 4 wood is an excellent club, plenty long and easy to hit.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Originally Posted by Jmdmbike

I replaced my '07 Burner 3 & 5 woods - really nice clubs too - with a Ping G15 4 wood. Main reason for the switch was that I was able to replace 2 clubs with 1 and made room for an extra wedge. I only hit my 5 wood off the deck and 3 wood from the tee, so was not making the most of my 14 clubs. I now use the 4 wood for both, it is as long as my old 3 wood and is excellent from the fairway and light rough too. I can't comment on the Nike, but the Ping G15 4 wood is an excellent club, plenty long and easy to hit.

That is exactly why I dropped a 3 wood.  I can hit my G10 4 wood off the deck or tee with confidence.  My old 5 wood went way too high off the tee.  I thought I needed a 7 wood, but I think I need a hybrid.  Somewhere around 21-23 degrees.  I play a 13 club bag and drop in an extra putter or driver or 2 iron or (the 5 wood which I never use).

G15 Driver 10.5° * G10 Draw 4-Wood * G10 Hybrid 18° * i3+ 3-SW Irons

Tour Action 60° LW

SLOTLINE J-Stroke Putter

With this store credit to TGW burning a hole in my pocket I think I've decided to order a 13* Tour Edge Exotic XCG-4 3 wood. They have them on sale and if for some reason I don't like it I think I should be able to most of my money back out of it. Like with every club there are mixed reviews but I'm finding more good things about this club than negative. The titanium head along with the claim of more distance makes me thing it's worth a try.

What have I got to loose? It's just money right? And I have lost plenty of that over the last 2 weeks in the stock market , what's another $100.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if the 909 F3 would be the best option for wou since it has a deeper face and it will be a little more difficult to hit off the deck. I can tellmyou ,y experience with the 909 F2. By far is the best 3w I've had, I use it off the tee in short tight par 4 or whe ther is a bunker/hazzard in play with my driver but can still get 260 yds with it. Overall I think it would be a club that you should give it a try since you can get it very cheap on ebay. Good luck.

:sunmountain: C 130 Cart Bag :titleist: 910 D2 Driver 8.5° Fujikura ROMBAX 7Z08 Stiff (280 yds)
titleist.gif 909 F2 #3 13.5° Blueboard S- (260 yrs) titleist.gif 909 H 17° Voodoo S (240 yds) :mizuno: MP 58 4i to PW PX 6.0 (210-200-185-170-160-145-135 yds) vokey.gif  50°/6 (120) 55°/10 (105) 60°/4(90)

:nike: Untitized Tiempo putter Ball: any top ball on sale, currently Srixon Z Star Tour yellow.

Note: This thread is 4652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!