IGNORED

Course Memberships

etomford
Note:Β This thread is 4671 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I am not a member at any course so I do not play as much as I would like, I have been going about once a week to different courses around my area. However I feel like I am spending a lot of cash by not being a member of a course. Now I cant afford the $2000 or so membership dues at most courses charge BUT Pheasant Run (a course right down the street from me) is charging $300 for a Twlight Membership, which includes May-Aug, Mon-Thursday, after 6pm. This really appeals to me because I could go after work and then on the weekends my buddy and I could still go to new courses (which I really enjoy). Also it is about 3 min from my house. My fiance travels for work so I am left home alone about two weeks a month so this would also be a good distraction for me. My only concern is that I would be golfing alone (which I have also never really done). Β I have been making great improvements but I feel like I could be even better if I played more. Even if I used my weekday golf to just practice different things on the course and then play real rounds with my buddy on the weekend I think this would be worth it.

Does anyone else have a "Twlight" membership, do you think its worth it? Does the $300 for 4 months seem like a good deal? I have almost decided that I am going to do it I just wanted some of your opinions. Is there any other options out there? I have about a $500 budget though.....

Driver: Β taylormade.gifΒ Burner Superfast 2.0, 10.5 Stiff Flex

3 Wood:Β taylormade.gifΒ Burner Superfast 2.0 Stiff Flex

Hybrids -Β adams.gifΒ A4 19 and 22 degree Stiff Flex

Irons -Β nike.gifΒ  Forged Combo 5-PW & SW

Wedge Β -Β vokey.gifΒ Spin Milled Tour Chrome Β 60.07

Putter -Β cameron.gifΒ Studio Select Newport 2, 34 inch &Β cameron.gifCalifornia Series Monterey 34 inch

Ball -Β titleist.gifΒ NXT Tour

I have a student membership that cost me $350 for the entire season, unlimited weekdays and any time after 12 PM on the weekends.Β  I know its not exactly twilight but I usually play after 3 or 4 anyways.Β  Buying the membership let me play a ton more then I usually would and I like not having to worry about coming up for the cash to pay my green fee every time I go.Β  Its nice being able to just stop by the course and play however many holes I feel like whenever I want.

I'd say that sounds like a pretty good deal! I'd go for it.

You said that the twilight covers Apr-May, which is only two months. You get four days per week, so that equates to ~32 days to golf within the two months for ~$9.38 per round (best case playing every day).Β  Even if you played 50% of the available time, it would cost you $18.76 per round (given the after 6 PM limitation, that would for 9-holes).Β Β  Now, if it is somehow for four months as you stated, then the cost per round is a lot cheaper.Β  If the course is half-way decent, and you enjoy paying it, then it is an oppty to consider. Again, the after 6 PM condition means that playing 9-hole rounds will be the most likely scenario, making it $37 for 18-holes (not a tremendous bargain unless it is a great course in your area).

Does the membership include use of the practice facility, or cart, or other benefits?

Twilight memberships can be great deals, but it depends on whether the course hosts a lot of leagues, tournies, etc. which will impact your available playing days.Β  My primary course has such a membership, but until mgmt made a slew of changes this season, it was not a great deal because leagues got in the way almost every day (unless you enjoy three hour 9-hole rounds).

Sorry for the typo the twilight rate is $300 from May to August and is Mon-Thursday after 6pm. There are some leagues but I have gotten in at 6ish before with no problems. For the twilight membership there are no other benefits other than carts are included, although I would probably try to walk at least once a week to get some exercise... Again thanks for the replies and sorry for the typo...

Putter -Β cameron.gifΒ Studio Select Newport 2, 34 inch &Β cameron.gifCalifornia Series Monterey 34 inch

Quote:

... Β I have been making great improvements but I feel like I could be even better if I played more. Even if I used my weekday golf to just practice different things on the course and then play real rounds with my buddy on the weekend I think this would be worth it.

Does anyone else have a "Twlight" membership, do you think its worth it? Does the $300 for 4 months seem like a good deal? I have almost decided that I am going to do it I just wanted some of your opinions. Is there any other options out there? I have about a $500 budget though.....

Worth it... This depends in part if you are on the eastern side or the western side of your time zone. If you're in the eastern half, the sun will tend to set fairly quickly on you. I lived in SW Oklahoma twice on the western edge of the Central TZ, and in July you could play until about 9:15 PM.

This spring I got aΒ Senior Intro Membership in St. Louis area that's good until December. For the $219 fee, I can play Monday-Thursday, and until 11 AM Friday for $15 (includes cart). In June and July I almost work flextime, so I could play up to three times a week as long as my joints and tendons hold out.

With your situation, you could play six holes if your just wanted to "practice," or get in nine holes sometimes... Remember, you can combine two nine-hole scores for an 18-hole score; see your HDCP system people for details.

Similar to you, I have good access.Β The course is along the way to my job, just a half-mile north of the main route. If I don't play, I can hit a small bucket or practice the short game going to or from work.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To echo what others have said, twilight memberships are a great value (especially for urban public courses).

I'm unable to play during the weekday and our course gets very busy on the weekends during normal golf hours. Β I worked out a deal with the head pro for unlimited golf after 4 pm (all days) and unlimited range for $400.

I'll play 5 or 6 holes in the evenings between range sessions, and am able to play 9 or 18 if I plan my time right. Β I've been able to hit 400+ balls a week and work on my short game quite a bit, and I think it's been very helpful.

In the Bag: TaylorMadeΒ R11 TPΒ - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - VokeyΒ SM 52Β -Β Vokey SM 60Β - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1xΒ 

On the Computer: Β Analyzr ProΒ 
Β 

Have you asked if the $2000 was due up front? Β I know some places will take 50% down and the remainder to be paid at season end.

Also, since its already July, ask if there is a pro-rated cost for 2011.

Member: Branch River Country Club

Taylormade Burner Superfast Driver

Warrior Custom 3 hybrid

Taylormade Burner Superlaunch Irons 4-PW

Taylormade White Smoke MC-72 putter

If you can play enough it's worth it at Pheasant Run. I've always enjoyed the courses there and in Michigan, at least for the next few weeks, we can play till at least 9pm so you can get in at least 9 holes.

Yeah, I am almostΒ sure Β I am going to do it next year. This year I am just going to play courses with my buddy and take some lessons....

Pheasant Run is a really nice course, one of the nicest Ive been too.

I can play pretty quickly and I think I could at least get 9 holes in maybe even the full 18 during June and July as it gets dark around 9ish. I have played the full 18 before in around 3 hrs. So even if I just get 9 in a day and a I 2-3 times a week I still think its a pretty good deal.

Even if the 2K wasnt all up front my fiance wouldnt let me do that. She was having a hard time with the $300!

Originally Posted by etomford

Even if the 2K wasnt all up front my fiance wouldnt let me do that. She was having a hard time with the $300!

My wife had similar reservations. Β It was only when I showed her how much I'd spend all summer golfing without a membership did she see the light. Β A little math can go a long way.

Member: Branch River Country Club

Taylormade Burner Superfast Driver

Warrior Custom 3 hybrid

Taylormade Burner Superlaunch Irons 4-PW

Taylormade White Smoke MC-72 putter

Membership to me afford much more than just golf.

I pay $2000 per year, it doesn't include cart or anything but the benefit for me is that after work I can stop by play nine holes with 2 or 3 balls and be home in time for dinner.Β  I also like playing with the group of guys I play with out there.Β  The wife plays and the kids are getting into it now. It's a value thing for me the money is a whole separate issue,Β  I am just glad it's only 2 grand annually, i"d pay more for.

Right, well I figure I go to the range 1-2 times a week and spend between $5-10 on balls each time. Plus I'm spending between $25-50 on golf 2-3 times a month. Lately I have been going a lot more. So we should just say about $50 a week on golf. thats $200 a month.

If I got that membership it would be $300 up front (I like this because its only $300 and I could still golf with my friend at different courses on the weekend) So lets say that I golf with my buddy 1-2 times a month itd be $100 MAX, which would save me $100 a month. Not to mention the other savings from having the membership.

Quote:

Fiance!?!?Β  Dang that sounds like a future wife that wouldn't let you do much!Β  It's your money bro. spend it reasonably, as you see fit if the Fiance has a problem with that you'll have bigger problems down the road.Β  Ya gotta live life.Β  I am lucky I guess my wife will bitch about the monthly bill once in a while but she also knows who she married.Β  We pay the 2k up front in February the monthly bill is just for carts, drinks and food, around $200/ month in the summer.

Yeah but we are just starting out so money is a little tight. I mean I dont live paycheck to paycheck but still the 2K is a little much for even me to handle. I think the $300 is a good price and I can and will pay for that. She lets me do what I want but she also keeps me grounded, as I do her...

I would be all over the $300 deal.Β  The course I play most has a very reasonableΒ $100/month deal(cart not included), but you must contract for 12 months. Understandable since courses need cash flow in the winter same as summer, but I can't play enough in the good months to offset the time I am not playing. Its great for folks who have enough time to play multiple times weekly and some in winter.

I would love a deal like yours or even a buy 3 get one free type of deal.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 SΒ Β Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;Β Β Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts-Β TT AMT Red S300Β ;Β WedgesΒ Vokey SM8Β 56-10DΒ Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5Β Β Ball:Β Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Thx for this post. My wife recently opened the door for us to get a CC membership. I grew up like many of us, dirt poor, and certainly didn't think I'd be able to golf let alone consider a private CC.

I'm looking at CC fees of $400/month for the entire family. The problem is that even though we can afford it (we're mid 30's, both working professionals, etc.), I still look at money from the perspective of how I grew up (it's a precious thing!), so I'm having a hard time swallowing paying that much when I will likely only get in 1 full round on the weekend and maybe two 9's during the week from April thru Sept/October.Β  A couple other people have said that you can't try to do the math on these sorts of things ... you'll never see the worth measuring your play versus the $$$'s.

Originally Posted by ND Fan

Membership to me afford much more than just golf.

I pay $2000 per year, it doesn't include cart or anything but the benefit for me is that after work I can stop by play nine holes with 2 or 3 balls and be home in time for dinner.Β  I also like playing with the group of guys I play with out there.Β  The wife plays and the kids are getting into it now. It's a value thing for me the money is a whole separate issue,Β  I am just glad it's only 2 grand annually, i"d pay more for.

Right its all perspective. I am getting married in 8 months from yesterday, and we are paying for the wedding ourselves.I am almost 26 and just bought a condo two years go. I have a decent job and moneys not tight but also I dont have 2K to be spending on a course membership. I would rather put some of my extra money to paying off my mortgage or saving. The $300 though is totally doable and would get no resistance from my fiance. Hell if she came home and said she wanted to spend 2K a year on one of her hobbies right now I'd tell her no. We just arent at that point in our lives yet. I'd like to be and I want to spend wisely so one day I can get the full membership. And its not that my fiance is controlling or doesnt let me do things, if I am about to make a foolish decision than I'd hope shed stop me, thats what being a team is about. And right now 2K a year for golf is foolish.

Note:Β This thread is 4671 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!