IGNORED

Thoughts on Sumo

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 6032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How did you like the Sumo2?

• Loved it, I am now square.
    • Hated it, I now know why its not in Tiger's bag.

I wasn't trying to bash anything, if I did it's just my personal opinion and don't mind me. I'm just saying out loud what I thought of Nike's Sumo driver. Besides, this is "Thoughts on Sumo" thread, isn't it?

Yes, it was Titleist.

DRIVER - Tight Lies/Graphite/10°
3 WOOD - Sasquatch/Graphite/15°
5 WOOD - Tight Lies/Graphite/19°
IRONS - X-22/Steel/3-PWAW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/52°SW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/56°LW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/60°PUTTER - Black Series #2/34"

Vanilla, I'm pretty sure he doesn't use (or has

Tiger's Bag - he uses the Tour version

IRONS - X-22/Steel/3-PWAW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/52°SW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/56°LW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/60°PUTTER - Black Series #2/34"

Actually, he can. He's one of the few players in the world that's allowed to play whatever he wants to use. His contract covers clothing and general advertising. So long as his smile appears beneath a Nike swoosh when he hoists a trophy, Nike is pretty happy.

100% correct - and you have set the record straight.

He gets to play whatever he feels is best considering he has one of the master club builders in his corner, Tom Stites, and he has the staff to build anything to his exact specifications, he continues to play an all Nike bag with the exception of his putter. I'd say he will eventually make the switch to something newer. He was recently spotted on the practice greens using the new Nike IC putters. For those who don't know or haven't seen them, there is an interesting concept behind the green color used on these putters - the concept is that, if the putter is the same color as the putting green, then the player can focus on the alignment marker and the ball rather than worrying about the putter. BTW, iacas - who's that in your avatar?
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

See if you can find a photo of Woods using a Sasquatch 460 Tour driver during

any tournament in 2007: http://www.gettyimages.com/Editorial/Sports.aspx
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

All due respect, you could have simply said that. Instead, you said things which were wrong. I've corrected them. This isn't a pissing match - it's setting the record straight.

Sorry I was wrong... You obviously know more about this than I do… I thought I remember reading somewhere or maybe someone told me that what I thought was true… I should have done more research before I posted… I will be more diligent in the future…

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/lofive...p/t115733.html
WHATS IN MY BAD:
SasQuatch Sumo2 13* with Aldila vs proto byyou graphite powered by zyvex (65-r)
Dunlop Alta 3 fairway wood
Copperidge 5 fairway wood
Copperidge 21* and 24* Hybrid (Given to me from father-in-laws set but I like them and hit the well)Ignite 3 Hybrid (part of the set)Ignite Irons 4...

See if you can find a photo of Woods using a Sasquatch 460 Tour driver during

Actually, I can.

Sasquatch 460 Sasquatch 460 Tour The slight difference between the two is the Tour letters found above the "460". Tiger using Sasquatch 460 Tour Save the image and zoom in on the club. You can see that there is lettering above the 460 and loft angle. The regular 460 does not have any lettering above the 460 or loft angle. That picture was taken at the 2007 US Open.

Actually, I can.

Ok - I don't have a good enough photo-editing tool on this PC but I'm not convinced.

However, go to GettysImages and look up the following images: 75580451 - The Open 76003248, 76782727, 76066868 - USPGA 76484443 - Deutsche Bank 77066847 - President's Cup (yesterday) and the clinchers for me: 76062067 - PGA 75974943 - Bridgestone Invitational Definately not a 460 Tour. Maybe he uses both??
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

Maybe they make his specially to Tigers' own spec but it just doesn't say tour on it. It could be like the Nike SQ460 prototype. He does have his own ball after all.

LOL! My bad.

I think it's already in Nike's way of practice to keep their signed players happy. Look all the specialized shoes for some of the ballers in NBA, for instance. Who wouldn't be happy? But in golf only Tiger is the special one. Indeed, he's special and talented. I doubt Mizuno and Titleist would've done the same.
BTW,

Ha! I knew there'd be someone else other than me asking the same question. Let me answer it for you, iacas. She is Natalie Gulbis and she is "Streeeeeeeetching!"

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Honestly, the shape of the Sumo^2 was a bit ugly to me at first, but for some reason grew to like it. Demo'd it, liked it, didn't mind the sound so long as it hits long...almost bought it - ended up getting the non-square SasQuatch since I hit it almost exactly the same (in some cases better) and it was 100 bucks cheaper :)

In any case, whats the big deal with complaints about the sound it makes? I mean, people aren't complaining of the way metal drivers (in general) sound now compared to when driver's were made mostly from wood. Perhaps in 30 years time, the SuMo^2 will be the standard sound ;)

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
Mate i just purchased a Nike sumo and i am wondering if there is any way i can check the serial number is genuine. i tried the nike web site but since i live in Australia it doesn't allow me to ask the Question.

Note: This thread is 6032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!