IGNORED

Thoughts on Sumo

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How did you like the Sumo2?

• Loved it, I am now square.
    • Hated it, I now know why its not in Tiger's bag.

With the big media hype behind the launching of the Sumo2 square driver, I was wondering if anyone other than myself has hit it. I did read one thread about someone who bought one and liked it. I did not want to spoil his thread with my own comments which to say the least are not as kind as his.

Okay let me start by saying the shaft I hit was definately not right for me but it was not that far off. What I can say from hitting it is HELLO LEFT. I could not cut it if I tried. And what is that god awful sound that emits from it. All around I thought it looks hideous, sounds worse, and as far as I am concerned produces a right to left ball flight that cannot be altered. So there they are, my thoughts on the Sumo, what do you think.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm sure there are going to be a LOT of comments about this new club. I can honestly say that I LOVE mine and wouldn't trade it in for the world!

I've got 36 holes in with mine, so it might be just a "tad" bit harsh to knock it if someone doen't get a chance to take it for a REAL demo....out on the course.

As far as being "loud" and "ugly".....hey, as long as it WORKS it doesn't bother me....

....after all, you ain't seen my wife!!!

Can we have a choice of "Not quite sure yet"?

I have swung it a few times, and although the sound was a tad nerve racking - It did go straight and even had the makings of a little right to left thing, which for me was unusual.

I would have to demo it for a day or two on the course instead of just at the range though.

I am really in love with my new Nicklaus driver though.

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

I played 9 holes yesterday with my Sumo2. NMGolf is correct about a left pattern but it could be just something that needs tweaked in my swing. I think for the mid to high handicappers they will find a club that is easy to hit. If you don't really want to try and "work the ball" then this club is for you. I don't try to work the ball off the tee with a driver. I am looking for a club that will help me get it somewhere down the middle without too much effort which is why I picked up the Sumo2. Honestly, the confidence I get from such a huge head is worth the money . The sound is loud but you get used to it quick and it's kinda fun. I'm looking forward to playing some more rounds with it to get the full feeling and control.

In my Ping Pioneer LC bag -
Driver: TaylorMade R11 10* closed
3 Wood: TaylorMade R11 15* open
Hybrid: Ping G15 20*
Irons: Ping G15 4, i15 5 - PWWedges: Ping Tour S 50*, 56* bent to 55*, 60*Putter: TaylorMade Daytona Ghost 34" 

I'm sure there are going to be a LOT of comments about this new club. I can honestly say that I LOVE mine and wouldn't trade it in for the world!

I actually did not buy one but I really agree with Mrbillinoc....

as long as it works... it's more than welcomed! As far as the price... I will wait for some used ones on Ebay....
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

Hit it, didn't like it at all.

The regular Sumo was good, but not anything that much better than my SQ. Looking at the new Titleist's and the FT-5 much more than the Nike
Driver: SQ 9.5* w/ Aldila NV 65 Stiff
3 Wood: X-Tour 13* w/ Aldila NV 65 Stiff
Irons: 3-PW 695MB w/ True Tempor Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges: Vokey 250.08 Oil Can, 254.10 Oil Can, SM60.08 Tour Chrome
Putter: Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #3

So ugly, but I haven't hit it so I don't know if I like it yet
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

After doing a lot of reading since it's release, I tried to find one to hit (left-handed) to see for myself. First off, kudos to Nike: This is the first time I can ever remember a brand new, never been seen before driver being available to LH players on the weekend it's released. I hope this is a trend that everyone else in the industry follows.

Sadly, that was really the best thing I've got to say about this club. I always thought of myself as a technology guy, I mean I play a HiBore and thats one of the new fandangled "geometric" drivers right? There's no possible way I'd get hung up on shape. Well it wasn't really the shape as much as the sheer size of it. Add the sound to it, and the fact that I was hooking it consistently (probably a shaft issue, was a R flex, stock shaft) and it was enough to dissuade me from any additional time spent on it.

On a positive note for my wife though: The HiBore XL wasn't drastically different from the original IMO, so I can't really think of anything I'll need this year other than a shaft for my 3W.

Overall, I'm really happy that companies are no longer hung up on traditional shapes. This years batch of drivers are going to get more people in the fairway more often, which will get more people excited about the game, and that's awesome.
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

Just wanted to add that at my proshop they got the new Ft-i in and I personally liked the Sumo^2 better.

The Ft-i looks tiny at adress, it also makes an allusion of having to much loft,"really hard to explain, try it yourself."

I'll admit the Ft-i felt meatier, but the Sumo^2 just felt incredible when you hit it on the screws.

The final comment I will make is the fact that the Ft-i will retail for $100 more. With no major benefits, that pushing it a little.

The only thing I can't stand about the Sumo^2 is the headcover. I personally think that Nike makes a better driver each year followed by an even worse headcover.

Driver: Speed Pro D 9.5*

3 Wood: 904F4 15.5*

Hybrid: 585.H 19*Irons: MP-32 4-PWWedges: 52* CG12 DSG 58* CG12 DSG 64* CG12 DSGPutter: custom Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-SlantBall: Pro V1x

The only thing I can't stand about the Sumo^2 is the headcover. I personally think that Nike makes a better driver each year followed by an even worse headcover.

I agree, if I end up keeping my SQ, I am defientely getting a new headcover!

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

I played 9 holes yesterday with my Sumo2. NMGolf is correct about a left pattern but it could be just something that needs tweaked in my swing. I think for the mid to high handicappers they will find a club that is easy to hit. If you don't really want to try and "work the ball" then this club is for you. I don't try to work the ball off the tee with a driver. I am looking for a club that will help me get it somewhere down the middle without too much effort which is why I picked up the Sumo2. Honestly, the confidence I get from such a huge head is worth the money

Having now played 4 full rounds with the Sumo2 it is already gone from my bag... I could not get used to it. I kept hitting it left and would have to adjust my swing to hit it right or straight. I don't want to adjust my swing just for a driver. After hitting the Nike then going back to my 905R it felt like putting back on a pair of old comfortable shoes. Sorry Nike back to Titleist for me.

In my Ping Pioneer LC bag -
Driver: TaylorMade R11 10* closed
3 Wood: TaylorMade R11 15* open
Hybrid: Ping G15 20*
Irons: Ping G15 4, i15 5 - PWWedges: Ping Tour S 50*, 56* bent to 55*, 60*Putter: TaylorMade Daytona Ghost 34" 

I hit it the other day and for me the club performed great. Even on off center hits the ball flew very straight and far. Compared to my FT-3 which had been the best driver I've hit in the last year and a half, the SUMO2 is better. I just think it looks terrible and I doubt I'll like the look of the FT-i either (also don't like the Hi-Bor Tour, felt harsh and looks bad).

I want to try the FT-5 and I hit the new Adams Insight BUL.... I was very impressed by that club as well.

Damn, I wish I wasn't such a hardcore Hogan Fan. I have never allowed myself to try other clubs. I can't really participate in discussions about different clubs. It's like having only made love to one woman. I'm going out to Golf Galaxy and hit everything on the rack.
(I'll probably leave with a new set of Hogans)

T-Bone Marshall
Home Course: www.waldenponds.com (74.1/134) 7001 yds
in my bag
Driver: Big Ben cs3 10.5 Stiff/Draw set up
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

I hit the SQ Sumo2 in a shop. While it felt ok, the one thing I noticed was how light the club felt with that huge square mallet at the end. Just not for me though.

F-Speed Driver 9*
F-Speed 3-wood
Boxer 3H
X20 Irons 4-AW
Tour 56* Tour 60* Sabertooth putter:taylormade: TP/Black ball

I picked up a SUMO last night and the headcover seems fine. Very easy. Don't know if it's different for the SUMO2 though.

Colin

WITB:
Driver: SUMO 10.5* w/Stock Shaft R
Wood: X-3 15*Hybrids: Slingshot 3 @20* Graphite RIrons: Slingshot OSS 4-AW Graphite RWedge: CG11 52* and 56* Putter: G5i UG-LEBall: One Black -or- Juice. Still experimenting.

• 5 months later...
With the big media hype behind the launching of the Sumo2 square driver, I was wondering if anyone other than myself has hit it. I did read one thread about someone who bought one and liked it. I did not want to spoil his thread with my own comments which to say the least are not as kind as his.

I voted: I hate it.

Seen it, hold it, watched people demo-ed it, heard its sound, etc. I hate it all. I don't like its shape, its color, its sound, and its name and brand. The shape is like a pancake, the color is pimp, the "donk" sounds like you're hitting an empty barrel, the name could be better. What next? Samurai? or Yakuza? And lastly Nike can't compare to other companies in Golf. If you ask if I ever demo it yet the answer is no and never will. For instance, would you even try a clothing whose color, shape, and brand you hate? If you say yes, then go wear your grandma's dress.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

• 1 month later...
I voted: I hate it.

Thats like saying I don't like scrambled eggs. I've seen them heard them, seen other people eat them... haven't eaten them myself but I know I wouldn't like them.

I'm not saying I like the SUMO SQ, I don't. But I've hit it before and know I don't like it. Also there's no call for this to become a Nike bashing thread.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!