Big Don

How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron

1. 1. How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron?

• <140
    • 150-160
    • 160-170
    • 170-180
    • >180

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

211 posts in this topic

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

How far do you hit a 5 iron (carry plus roll)?

185, no roll.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's no option for mine: 143 yards, plus roll. It isn't less than 140, nor is it 150-160.

I guess the question I then have is, how long did it take you from the time you started to hit properly until the time you got good distance on your clubs?

Roll depends alot on conditions, so I only consider carry which is about 175 for me

Last year I was hitting it about 160 on the fly, probably 170 with roll, but in the offseason I've changed my swing and have a lot more clubhead speed now so we'll see what happens!

Ryan

170 meters = 185.914261 yards

In the summer, in the winter I need a 4 iron to carry that distance..

When I used to play Ping Zing2 and Ping I3 I used to hit my 5 iron 180+. The Mizuno's I have seem to have a higher trajectory.

No big deal to me.

It's not the number on the club but on the scorecard.

Me.... around 180 yards on average and no roll.

Roll.... I thought we were talking about irons.... don't we usually calculate the carry when dealing with irons?

I can also hit it to 200 yards, but the next day I have problems in rising from bed!

Sometimes, I hit it 205 yards (if we introduce the concept of roll...), yeah, whenever I hit it thin, you should really see how much it rolls... if my ball was able to talk, it will scream: "aargh" for the pain!!!!!

The problem is that unfortunately when I hit those distances, most of the times, the ball goes in a very slightly (just a bit!) different direction from where I actually aimed!!!

210? I think you might be de-lofting your club face a bit too much. I hit mine nice and high around 190. Most pros will pull out the 5-iron around 180-200 depending on the pro. Teeing it up on a par 3 is different though. Maybe then around 210 or 220 with a draw.

Trust me...I hit it plenty high!

I believe you... your handicap index speaks by itself.... congratulations!

I actually played with other guys in California who constantly hit their 5 irons around 200-210 (they were getting in two on all the par 5 - 520-550 yards!!!)

That's quite a shot longer...you are a club up on most people. That's a nice driver swing too...wait a minute...you wouldn't happen to have a bias towards Nike gear would you?? :)