IGNORED

Which driver do you use?

hypergolf
Note: This thread is 4052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which brand do you use when it comes to drivers? Pros and Cons.

• Callaway
    • Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • Mizuno
    • Cleveland
    • Nike
    • Bridgestone
    • Srixon
    • Ping
    • Cobra
    • Others (Please specify)

Callaway FT-I 10 deg Draw. I had a bunch of $ left over in credit in my local Pro Shop so I hit a bunch of Drivers. I had a Ping G2 11.5 deg which I liked but found I couldn't be confident whether the ball would draw or fade (my old Taylormade 320 always drew or Hooked, took the right side of the fairway out of play.

Tried both the Nike and Callaway square heads and the Ping Rapture and Taylormade r7 and there was no doubt in my mind that the Callaway was the straightest driver I had ever hit. Nike may have been a touch longer but if you hit the Callaway on the screws it goes plenty long. And on my course, straight and in the fairway is a big big help - lots of trees. I love this club and the Draw designation doesn't make it hook although I always had atendency to do so in the past and had to fight it. Ball goes high with the 10 deg - higher than the Ping G2 11.5. And I have a flat swing. As I tell my golfing buddies - "It's loud and ugly - perfect for me" Always worth a laugh, as I head down the middle of the fairway to hit my second shot.

As Oakmont architecht Mr. Henry Fownes said, " A shot poorly played is a shot irrevocably lost!"

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my new Cleveland HiBore, its turned driving from the worst to best part of my game. Now I'm hitting at least 10-12 fairways a round. The only con I can think of is the look of it, its pretty ugly but I got used to it quickly.

In My Bag :

Driver : HiBore XL
3 Wood : Launcher Gold
Hybrid : 3i Halo 22*Irons : CG4 4-PWWedges : 588 DSG RTG 52* CG11 56* / 60*Putter : GM Exchange2 #4Ball : Z-URS

A $39 Dunlop 450Cc club head with an Adila NV Shaft. I've bought a TM R5 and an Adams RPM. I sold both within a few weeks and have continued playing the Dunlop. The Adams wasn't too horrible, but just didn't feel good. I hated the R5. I think it was the crappy mas shaft. I've decided that the clubhead is much less important than the shaft. I'm hitting only about 230 total on avg, but I hit a ton of fairways. Can't see spending $300 bucks to learn to hit a new club that will likely not increase my yardage by more than maybe 10 yards at best.

In my bag -

MacGregor V-Foil 13º
Lynx Fairway Metal 18º
TM SuperSteel Burner 3-PWSrixon I-201 56ºPurespin Wedges 52º & 60º

I'm using the TaylorMade R7 460cc and lovin' it. I had the R580 before that and I'm still hitting fairways for the most part with the R7 but have a little more pop.

Brian
In the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 460, R, 10.5
3 Wood: TayorMade R5
5 Wood Nickent 3DXIrons Callaway X16Wedges Mixed bag, looking to upgradePutter Nickent Pipe Putter w/Midsize Winn gripBall Callaway HX Hot

FYI to Action Jackson

I know 2 low handicappers (4 or less) who have turned in Hi-Bores and gotten different drivers. One got a Ping Rapture and the my other friend, who is on my golf league team - just bought a FT-5.

Look around and try lots of clubs if you can. There are so many good ones out there that you should be able to find at least one that feels just right.

Cobra F/speed fitted with a regular shaft. It's in my sig. In the pipeline is either a reshafting, or a change to the Speed Pro, since my swing is getting faster and faster over time.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

FYI to Action Jackson

Yes while cleveland is my club of choice in wedges and irons somewhat, it wasn't my first in drivers, was a gift...I am having difficulty with the closed face and can actually hit my back-up driver (Cheap'o cleveland sport 10.5 degree stiff) much more consistantly. I am looking at a new driver but am not in a rush at the moments not untill I can demo a few. I'm really interested in the taylormade burner, as I a 5'2" 175 lb. swimmer, lanky dude I have a very fast swing speed and alot of stregnth, so I think that oversized monster may be a fit for me. Though as a newb I'm not in a hurry to make any costly purchasing errors. The one thing I have going for me is that most newbs/right handrs I know slice right horribly and all of my shots are going slightly left and while it's frustrating to me, I'm told this is a better problem to have than slicing...but I'm in the dark for right now.

Thanks -Adam

A draw is a thousand times better than the beginner's slice. The slice comes from a lot of unwanted sidespin on the ball resulting from and outside-in swing, which kills your distance, and it's 50 yards off line, or worse.

I also hit a draw - just fire down the right side of the fairway. It will draw back to the middle, or left side. When I miss left, it's a nasty duck hook, but when I miss right, it goes straight. So, 2 out of 3 times I'm in the fairway.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Titleist 905R YS-6 Stiff 9.5*

905R YS-6+ 9.5*
904F YS-6+ 15* & 19*
MP-60 3-PW S300
MP-R 52* S300
MP-R 56* S300 Blade Centre Shaft Hot 2 TP-Red

• 2 weeks later...
Titleist 983E 9.5 degree w/grafalloy prolite 35 shaft.

Just got this club last week. $40 at GlobalGolf. What a monster club...very long. I'm in Alabama, and since we haven't seen rain in about a year, fairways are extremely dry and the ball rolls forever. Played the 975D before this. Can't see getting a new driver for a very long time.

I use the Nike Sasquatch 460, regular flex, although I may soon need to upgrade to a stiff. It's a pretty good club and can straighten you out a little, as long as you can get used to the tremendous size.

I used my dad's Taylormade Burner Bubble before I got my new driver, and it was pretty good too.

One thing I am getting pretty sick of is Taylormade's advertising, "The #1 Driver in Golf". What they don't seem to mention is that although they have about 10 times more tour pros using their driver than Nike does, Nike still has about twice as many wins. LOL.

YESTERDAY: Orlimar HTi440 9.5 deg. with Adilia NVS 65-R
TODAY: I really love my Adams RPM 460 11.5 deg draw with Adilia NVS 55-a shaft.
TOMORROW: Who knows? I have several to chose from. Boy, am I fickle!

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

I hit the new Callaway FT-I yesterday. Wow, what a nice driver! The ball flies off the face and keeps going!! I usually hit 240 pretty consistantly, but I was hitting it past 260 every time. Now I'm bummed. I don't have $500 for a new driver...

Straight and high, and with my swing the Titleist head and Zcom shaft works best for me. But lets be real, any modern head and a properly fitted shaft is going to work. Its not the arrow its the Indian, up to a point!

I just bought the Cleveland HiBore XL with the stock red shaft. I hit it just about 200-210

TaylorMade R7 425 TP REAX 65 w/rombax technology. I can't seem to find a better driver for me. The 460 heads are a little more forgiving (although the 425 is more forgiving than most give credit) but I don't have the trajectory control from these larger heads as much as I do with my 425 TP.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got the Cobra F Speed and I'm hitting it huge compared to my old driver, leaving me easier second shots.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

Note: This thread is 4052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!