IGNORED

Which fairwaywoods do you use?

hypergolf
Note: This thread is 5766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which brand do you use when it comes to fairwaywoods? Pros and Cons.

• Callaway
    • Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • Mizuno
    • Cleveland
    • Nike
    • Bridgestone
    • Srixon
    • Ping
    • Cobra
    • Others (Please specify)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogan Big Ben C455.
Don't have a complaint to speak of....not when you get the Aldila shaft included for the price I paid.
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

Callaway Steelhead III 3-wood, Callaway Steelhead 5-wood. Both with good ol' Memphis 10 steel shafts.

I'm loyal to fairway woods, almost to a fault. If I find something I like and I'm comfortable with, it stays in the bag -- even if I know there might even be better options for me, technologically.

PS - I show no such loyalty to drivers.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

i just got a titliest 904F (you gotta love those clearance sales!)
its my first real 3wood and i'm excited about using it....too bad its like 30 degrees

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

Titleist 980f with a Fujikara Speeder shaft and a Taylor Made rescue club.

Driver: Titleist 905R with Aldila NV stiff
3 Wood: Titleist 909f2 w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff
Hybrid: Taylor Made Rescue Club 19*
4-PW: Titleist 695cb
GW (50 degree): Titleist Oil Can Vokey 250SW (54 degree): Titleist Vokey Oil Can Spin MilledLW (58 degree): Titleist Vokey Spin MilledPutter: Scotty...

I've just added an Integra Quadratic 5W from Solid Rock Golf. This club is scary srtaight. I've played it twice now on a par 4 approach shot that I ALWAYS used to lay up for. 220 yard shot with water left, right and 30 yards short. I haven't yet been in the hazard with this club. I hit it up to about 225, so it's not super long, but the accuracy is is amazing, and I love the feel of this club.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've got Titleist R580 TI 3 & 5 woods. Great sticks. I haven't found anything I like nearly enough to replace them with. I'm going to get them reshafted (the M.A.S. 60 stock shaft leaves something to be desired), and possibly refinished.

My Website: Qwowi Golf

In my Atlas Bag:
Driver: R7 SuperQuad 9.5° VS Proto 65-S
3+ Wood: G10 4 Wood: G10 Hybrid: 585H VS Proto 80-SIrons: X-20 Tour 5-PWGap Wedge: Vokey 200 Series 52°Sand Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56°Lob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Bettinardi BC1

I've just added an Integra Quadratic 5W from Solid Rock Golf. This club is scary srtaight. I've played it twice now on a par 4 approach shot that I ALWAYS used to lay up for. 220 yard shot with water left, right and 30 yards short. I haven't yet been in the hazard with this club. I hit it up to about 225, so it's not super long, but the accuracy is is amazing, and I love the feel of this club.

The rule of thumb for PGA tour players and most everybody when playing in Colorado is TOTAL DISTANCE MINUS 10% due to altitude and thin air. In other words, a 225 shot would recalulate out to 203 and they choose whatever club they normally hit 203. I experienced this phenomenon when I played in Denver and Durango and found it to be fairly accurate. I do know that I hit some drives that carried forever and were ungodly long. http://www.golf-trainer.com/golf-vac...vacations.html Here is an exerpt from the article: How about the elevation. Colorado is high up, even at Denver level! If you vacation in Colorado you will 10% to your distance due to the rarified air. If you normally drive 250, you will do 275. So, if you were at sea level playing in Florida you might be hitting it just a little over 200. Balls DEFINITELY go shorter at sea level with the heavy air and a sandy base in FL, I know because I lived in south FL for 12 years. Btw, Integra has been putting out good products for a long time.

I am not a big fan of hitting my 3 wood very much but the distance has to be pretty much perfect or I don't even bother. Anything over 200yrds and usually its not worth the risk for me, I would rather take my lumps and hit an iron to a good approach distance. When I do use 3 wood its usually off the tee because driver is too far or there is not much trouble around the green for me to go for it.

I used to hit a TM v-steel but I always hit too much of a draw and I really had to try and hit is straight or a slight fade. Now I moved to a TM R7 TP 3 wood, it has a bit more of an open face, I am still working with the heel weight but the ball flight it much better then the V-steel was.

I don't carry a 5 wood, I never have. I am looking for a club to fill that 235 or so distance. I did pickup a TM 22deg hybrid but it went too far and it also drawed too much so I sold it to my friend even though it only saw driving range time.

I carry an old Cobra steel head 3 wood. I have no idea what model it is. I've had it since I was 18 and can't get rid of it. I can work the ball both ways and carry it about 260 off the tee. Can't go wrong with that.

Also, I just added a 5 wood to the mix. I'm getting old (25) and out of shape and have lost a few MPH on the swing speed. So I just put a Nike SQ 5 wood with and X Stiff steel shaft in the bag. It has about the same distance as my old 2 iron but flys higher and lands softer.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

im using an old set of Dunlop "matrix metal" woods. haha they are the cheapest most beat up pair of woods ive ever seen but just like people have said before, its like your favorite t shirt. it may be old and beat up and way beyond wear, but i just can seem to get rid of them. they hit so well for me at this point. i always can count on them.

In the bag:
Driver -Callaway Big Bertha "C4"
Irons -Callaway Big Bertha 06
Putter -Odyssey White Steel
Ball -Top Flite D2 and Callaway Big Bertha

Hogan Big Ben C455.

This makes two of us--I picked up one for $70...when the Aldila shafts were on sale, seperately, for $79.

I'm just now (in the past week or so) learning how to hit my 3 wood properly without topping it. Now that I do, I hit the thing a mile (I can hit it further off the deck than my driver off the tee), but it usually comes with a vicious slice.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

i have an old ping zing 2 3 wood

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

• 2 weeks later...
Trying to switch my current Callaway to Titleist... Any other suggestions?
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

Titleist PT906F2 15 degree with an Aldila NV 75 S-flex shaft. 43" in length.

907D2 9.5 degree with Aldila VS Proto 65
906F2 15 degree with Aldila NVS 75
585.H 17 degree with Aldila NVS 85
2-PW 690MB
Vokey 254.10 Prototype Vokey 260.04 Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

• 3 weeks later...
I've always used Callaway's and I love them. I'm looking at getting a 3wd and 5wd in the new X series, but I do not like the stock shaft.

Any suggestions on good fairway shafts? I'm looking at the V2 and the NV right now.

Note: This thread is 5766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!