IGNORED

Which irons do you use?

hypergolf
Note: This thread is 5592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you use when it comes to irons? Pros and Cons.

• Callaway
    • Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • Mizuno
    • Cleveland
    • Nike
    • Bridgestone
    • Srixon
    • Ping
    • Cobra
    • Others (Please specify)

I got a set of Nike Pro Combo Tours about 2 years ago and love them. They feel real solid when hit well (especially the short irons) and I can work the ball with them. The best thing I like about them is if I miss hit it, I get the tactile feedback to let me know, and don't lose a whole lot of distance on the shot.

My bag:

Driver: Cobra AMP 9.5 degree w/ GD6 stiff flex shaft

3 Wood: Ping Anser 14.5 degree THC-800 stiff flex shaft

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19 degree Mitsubishi Kiani Blue stiff flex shaft

Irons: Nike Pro Combo Tour 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Wedges: Titleist Bob Vokey 52-8, 56-11 and 60-4

Putter: 2-Ball White Steel, 34" bent 1 degree flat

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have some cheap Tommy Armour "Morph" irons. Picked them up online for about $200 about 1 year ago. Just started playing 3 years ago so not ready to fully dive in and start spending a ton of money.

Pros: long irons are cavity backs, very easy to hit. Shorter irons (8 - SW) are blade configurations, kind of gives you the best of both worlds. Mid irons are cavity backs as well but offer a little lower trajectory. Nice starter clubs for someone like me trying to learn the game and find his swing.

Cons: The offset, I don't need it and don't like it.

"Other". I play what appear to be the last set of Triumph irons in the entire world. I've been trying to find any others for sale, for years, unsuccessfully. 1, 3-PW. Graphite shafts with cavity-back heads. I love 'em, and I'm screwed if I break one ;)

"Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones

In my Ping Hoofer Extreme...
Triumph TC-100 1 iron
TaylorMade R7 Quad 10.5* and 15* BurnerTriumph 3-PW, TaylorMade 2Pinnacle GoldsA no-name blade handed down to me from my father, and to him...

Accuform PTM blades 2-lob wedge

driver Titleist 905R
3w Titleist 904F
5w Srixon awd 19
irons 3-pw titleist 962
wedges cleveland 485 56 Accuform gap 52putter scotty cameron platinum Luguna 2

I use cleveland ta7's were nice when I bought them BUt I think I should have bought the Tour model instead at the time.

I was looking for a thread on players irons and have noticed that a good one was closed so I guess ill post a question here.

Does anyone who plays cavity backs or used to play cavity backs that switched to forged/blades have the feeling that the ball flies off the face way too hot? Especially for PW-8 iron? To me, a 3/4 shot feels the same on the face as a full shot, but with my GW/SW/LW i notice a difference in the feel, the slower the hit the softer it feels on the face. It feels like a 3/4 shot with my PW just explodes off, and I have a really hard time with distance control with it. My friend has The Nike Forged blades TW model, with 3 added degrees of loft and they every club feels like a SW to me and it doesnt feel like it flies off the face. I also cannot chip for the life of me with my TA7's , the ball comes off way too hot and low, when chipping with my gw/sw/lw and those nike blades though, it makes a nice click and comes off a lot more soft and true, ive wondered if thats a problem with high handicappers not using 9 irons and such around the greens, it simply comes off too low and hot and just sucks. Anyone else notice this with CB irons as opposed to MB/Forged/Blades? Im thinking of getting new irons but $800 is a bit expensive for me since im a college student.

I'm with the Titleist 960CBs now with Rifle 5.5 shafts. I've had the Hogan Apex Edge Pros for 5 years with 6.5 Rifles and went to get fitted and I wasn't swinging hard enough to get the effect out of the 6.5s. If $800 is too expensive then go on ebay and get a good set for a couple hundred. There are so many options that you can figure out what your stats are andthen usually find a set to match.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

Cleveland..... Good all around clubs.
Ace Adair

904R 10*
I3 4 Wood 17* G5 Hybrid 22* CG-4's 4-PW Vokey Design 200 Series-- 50*, 54*, 58* G2 Anser Putter 35" ProV1 Hoofer 3 Bag "Putts get real difficult the day they hand out the money." -Lee Trevino "You are one evil, cunning woman. It's a massive turn on."--House...

Cleveland TA-5

Forget your opponents; always play against par. - Sam Snead

Driver: R580 9.5 deg
3-Wood: 15.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)
5-Wood: 18.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)Irons: TA-5 3-PWWedge: CG-12 56 degPutter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

I purchased the Callaway Big Berthas (2006) a couple of months ago. The wide sole and "game improvement" aspects of the clubs take some getting used to, but I am hitting the ball pretty straight and a little further with these clubs. Overall, I would recommend these clubs for high handicappers seeking forgiveness and distance. I would not recommend to people looking for feel or shot-shaping ability.

Driver: Launcher, 10.5°
Fairway: Big Bertha 2007, 15° & 18°
Hybrid: Rapture, 21° & 24°
Irons: Big Bertha 2006, 5 - PW
Wedges: Vokey, 52° & 56°Putter: White Hot XG, Rossie Ball: HX HotI'm not saying my golf game went bad, but if I grew tomatoes, they'd come up sliced. ~ Lee Trevino

I am awaiting a set of used powerbilt tps oversize irons, steel shaft. I don't know why but I've always wanted a set of powerbilt. Anybody ever use this brand?

Driver-Callaway FT-5 Draw 9.5"

3WD-Callaway Hawkeye 15*

Hybrid-Callaway FT 21*

Irons-Callaway Steelhead X-16 4-P

Wedges-Callaway Big Bertha Tour 52* 56* 60*

Putter-Odyssey White Hot #1

I am awaiting a set of used powerbilt tps oversize irons, steel shaft. I don't know why but I've always wanted a set of powerbilt. Anybody ever use this brand?

I've seen their golf balls only once or probably twice. I heard they're not good. Can't imagine how their irons would be (I didn't even know they made irons set

).
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Cleveland - love them!

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

I have a set of Callaway Big Bertha 2006's 4-gap that i am trying to sell so I can purchase a set of Callaway X-Tours, or Nike Forged, which one do you think i should go with?

I just can't believe Mizuno and Taylor Made are that close. When I hit Mizuno MP32's, I thought there were only a few of us that played em. I guess the secret is out.

R7 TPs for me now though.. Never looking back..

R5 Dual 9.5
F50 16.5
R7 TP 3-PW
RAC Satin 52 and 56 deg
Vokey 59 deg Studio Newport 2 HX Tour 56

Callaway X-14's but am going to pick up some Callaway X-20 Tours sooner or later.

G5 10.5 NV65

G5 3 WOOD 15 Degree

X-14 Irons 52*, 56*, 60* 2 dot wedges White Hot #4 Callie

Note: This thread is 5592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!