IGNORED

New Groove Rule

Jeepthrills
Note: This thread is 4961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fourputt,

I don't think that is accurate. It will not effect any "normal" tourney until 2014. By normal I am talking about state and local, non-us am type.

We are fine for anything we can get into till 2014. I don't think many players here can really compete in elite events.

Brian

That would be up to the individual association and competition committee. No way to make a blanket statement.

Fourputt,

If you are referring to my quote above, then this is my response to you:

The rule will be mandatory in 2014 for certain USGA sanctioned amateur events. It will be mandatory in 2024 for all amateur competitions played by the Rules of Golf. But that doesn't mean that it can't be optioned for specific competitions earlier than that. It will still be up to the individual competition committee if they want to institute the new rule. I wouldn't expect it to happen, but you never know. I'd read the entry forms carefully for any city or state wide tournaments.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

thats an interesting video. for those that dont have the time to watch it, it basically said that from the fairway, both the non-conforming grooves and the new conforming grooves perform similarly (ball checked-up and spun back 6-8 feet).

from the rough there is a quite a difference. the non-conforming wedges still check-up and spin back, but the new conforming wedges will not check-up and will roll forward when hit from the rough.

I thought there'd be more of a difference between them.

It'll be another reason for the pro'd to keep they're shots on the fairway I guess!

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I thought there'd be more of a difference between them.

Keep in mind that that was a 56° wedge. The difference will certainly be more pronounced with a 7 or 8 Iron. One thing I noticed from the video that wasn't mentioned. If the shots were taken from the same distance, the shots from the rough with the new grooves seemed to get a bit of a flyer effect... they seemed to carry farther onto the green than the ones made with the current grooves, then released 6-8 feet more. Another confirmation that the USGA is getting the effect it wants with the change.

Rick

will high school golfers need the v grooves
DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

will high school golfers need the v grooves

Eventually yes... just as eventually all players will need to to be within the rules. But I shouldn't imagine that they will be required before 2014 at the earliest, and probably not even then.

Rick

Keep in mind that that was a 56° wedge. The difference will certainly be more pronounced with a 7 or 8 Iron. One thing I noticed from the video that wasn't mentioned. If the shots were taken from the same distance, the shots from the rough with

yep, i noticed that too.

I don't care. They will have to pry my irons from my cold, dead hands.

G10 Driver Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 65 Stiff
G5 3-Wood Aldila NV65-Stiff
G15 20 Hybrid TFC stiff
I15 Irons 4-P
S/M Black Nickel 52 56 60 Marxman Mini 33" Tour B330 RXCarroll Valley Resort, Fairfield PA Rating: 72.3 Slope: 128www.carrollvalley.com

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a video from Cleveland Golf on the groove change. It's about the best explanation I've seen yet. It's clearly presented with no manufacturer bias. Click on the article titled "USGA Groove Rule Summary".

Here's the link: http://www.clevelandgolf.com/index.p...id=53207904001

Rick

• 4 weeks later...
For clubmakers,

are they supposed to sell 2010 USGA conformed iron & wedge heads?

Does this rule have significance for golfers who just like to participate in Club tournaments (non USGA) ?
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

For clubmakers,

Clubmakers can't sell non conforming wedges after 2009.

Shops can still sell whatever stock they have left. And club tournaments won't be affected until 2024

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• Administrator
Clubmakers can't sell non conforming wedges after 2009.

Yeah they can. They can't CREATE non-conforming clubheads. Titleist, TaylorMade, etc. can still assemble and sell clubheads that exist prior to December 31, 2K9.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't care. They will have to pry my irons from my cold, dead hands.

I'm with you. 2024 is a long way down the road and I will worry about it then. There will be new non-conforming clubs for sale for many years to come for those of us that need them in the secondary market.

• 4 weeks later...
what is the exact deal with the new grooves, i know that they create more spin, but what is the best strategy, and where can i find them cheap.

big bertha driver
3,5 wood
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 Iron
SQ Sumo2 Hybrid
sand and pitching wedgeputterpro V1 balls burner ballsCallaway Tour Authentic Diablo Staff Bag

Ummmm, the new grooves create LESS SPIN, not more. The new grooves are V in shape, instead of U in shape. The new grooves don't "catch" the ball as much as the old grooves, thus less spin on it.

The USGA designed this rule to basically make the game of golf a bit harder. Yippee. They figured you should be punished a bit more for hitting it into the rough, and the new grooves make it very hard to spin the ball out of the rough.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 4961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!