IGNORED

quirk of 14-club rule?

dardensbc
Note: This thread is 4657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

from the way the 14-club rule is worded, it sounds like it might be legal to start the 1st hole with just your driver in your bag.  then have someone nearby with a large selection of clubs, and add clubs 1-by-1, as you need them, according to what the next shot requires.  stopping of course when you get to 14.

is this really legal?

I guess I don't know why anyone would do that, but as I read the rule it is legal as long as you don't get the clubs from a prohibited source, like another player.

Butch

to put the question in more realistic terms:  say you're constantly torn between carrying a 3i or a LW...  according to the rules, is it ok to start with 13 and then add whichever one you first have a need for?  it sounds like it would be within the rules, but it sure doesn't sound fair.

Originally Posted by dardensbc

to put the question in more realistic terms:  say you're constantly torn between carrying a 3i or a LW...  according to the rules, is it ok to start with 13 and then add whichever one you first have a need for?  it sounds like it would be within the rules, but it sure doesn't sound fair.

The answer is a resounding NO.  Decision 4-4a/16 prohibits such practice:

4-4a/16 Status of Additional Clubs Being Carried for Player and of Person Carrying Them

Q. A player begins his stipulated round with ten clubs carried by his caddie. The player has also asked another person to walk along with the group and carry eight more clubs. During the round, the player intends to add from the clubs carried by the other person.  Is such an arrangement permissible?

A. No.  As the player intends to add from such clubs during the round, the eight clubs count towards his total.  The player is, therefore, in breach of Rule 4-4a for starting the stipulated round with more than 14 clubs.  In addition, the other person is acting as a second caddie in breach of Rule 6-4.

As different acts have resulted in two Rules being breached, multiple penalties would apply (see Principle 5 of Decision 1-4/12). (New)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dardensbc

Some people have too much time on their hands.

I've read some nonsense, but this takes the cake.

I've been studying the rules and can't find anything to say that I couldn't have a helicopter hovering above me with the pilot as my caddy.

It doesn't seem that it would be fair, what with the noise and turbulence.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Strange response to an interesting question about the rules.........

Originally Posted by Shorty

Some people have too much time on their hands.

I've read some nonsense, but this takes the cake.

I've been studying the rules and can't find anything to say that I couldn't have a helicopter hovering above me with the pilot as my caddy.

It doesn't seem that it would be fair, what with the noise and turbulence.

Originally Posted by deasy55

Strange response to an interesting question about the rules.........

You think that the notioon of someone playing with one club and being shadowed by someone with a  bag of 30 clubs, handing them to the player one by one, shot by shot,until he has 14  is "interesting"?

Well, he asked an genuine question about the rules. Your sarcastic response was neither helpful OR interesting, so there you go

You think that the notioon of someone playing with one club and being shadowed by someone with a  bag of 30 clubs, handing them to the player one by one, shot by shot,until he has 14  is "intertesting"?

Well, he asked an genuine question about the rules. Your sarcastic response was neither helpful OR interesting, so there you go

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

It seemed appropriate considering the direction this thread was headed.

Grammar police

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

He essentially asked if it was allowable to have more than 14 clubs by having two caddies or a caddy walking around in the bushes nearby carrying more of your clubs.

Not only that, the thread title is " Quirk of the 14 club rule", as if there is some loophole whereby a player could gain advantage.

I am not trying to be "interesting", but as far as being "helpful" perhaps peope would be better off helping themselves by using some intelligence rather than coming up with ridiculous scenarios and wondering if they are allowable, when putting two and two together would prove otherwise.

But you seem to think it was a reasonable question. I do find that interesting.

You forgot to mention that the title of the thread featured a question mark. Judging by what you said below you would swear that the OP was informing us all of something that was actually false. This is a section where people ask questions about the rules. He asked a valid question about a rule he didn't fully understand. I don't see what's wrong with that?

I have seen your ego coming through numerous times on this forum since i signed up, but this takes the biscuit. Perhaps if you were so offended by the OPs apparent lack of intelligence (your words, which I put in bold below), then maybe you shouldn't have posted a reply that lacked even more intelligence.

He essentially asked if it was allowable to have more than 14 clubs by having two caddies or a caddy walking around in the bushes nearby carrying more of your clubs.

Not only that, the thread title is "Quirk of the 14 club rule", as if there is some loophole whereby a player could gain advantage.

I am not trying to be "interesting", but as far as being "helpful" perhaps peope would be better off helping themselves by using some intelligence rather than coming up with ridiculous scenarious and wondering if they are allowable, when putting two and two together would prove otherwise.

But you seem to think it was a reasonable question. I do find that interesting.

Originally Posted by Ignorant

I just answer to Sean:

Why did you not correct all the grammar while getting into it...?

Do you mean all of Deasy's or every post in this thread? Why don't you have a crack at it while you're waiting for a high level rules debate to get rolling.

Originally Posted by Ignorant

I just answer to Sean:

Why did you not correct all the grammar while getting into it...?

I was saving that for you. I wonder if this comment will get deleted, like the previous one did.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I wonder if this comment will get deleted, like the previous one did.

Ah, my auto-Sean-delete bot seems to be working. Exxcccellent....

Bill

Note: This thread is 4657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!