IGNORED

Can we all finally agree that Tiger is done?

muggs
Note: This thread is 4038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would eat my putter (and probably the rest of my clubs) if this statement turns into fact

Originally Posted by jgreen85

tiger sweeps the majors next year; you heard it here first. Though I really do think it will happen, I acknowledge that it doesn't cost me anything to state it here, but meh.

Originally Posted by MSchott

... It's just wrong to say he's done. None of us can know what will happen except we do know that Woods is by far the most talented golfer since Nicklaus. He's also had 3 top 5's in his last 6 majors. ...

Tiger set the 21st century prototype for the PGA tour golfer. Athlete + master golfer (all-round top skills).

Quote:

This is where you go wrong.  As far as the PGA Tour goes, Tiger IS golf. People watch golf when Tiger is in contention. They don't watch when Tiger isn't around. The final round of the PGA got the same ratings as the 1st round of the NFL draft.  The same rating as names getting called! If it weren't for Tiger, Bradley wouldn't have taken home a check for $1.4 million yesterday.

But, I think we are seeing a slew of younger pros who have adopted the Tiger prototype. In the future, it will be tougher for Tiger - and any individual - to win, because so many others are successfully adopting Tiger's on-course business model. And the teen golfers coming up have even greater vision. News clips claim a lot of them see a good round of golf as a 54... 18 under or so, with a birdie or better on every hole.

Tiger needs to take six months off from the tour, work past Atlanta errors, play a spring warm-up tournament, and head for Augusta.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Tiger needs to take six months off from the tour, work past Atlanta errors, play a spring warm-up tournament, and head for Augusta.

Because he hasn't had enough time off in the past few years?

Regarding this statement...again I am referring to his Bangkok practice session swing, but his spine angle in those swings is gorgeous and not even remotely close to what he has done under Haney and Foley.

For a real world shot of his around that same time frame, again Tiger's spine angle looks fantastic and he retains it through the downswing

Originally Posted by iacas

Because Tiger does it, has always done it, and will always do it until he decides to stop doing it. It likely feels powerful to him. He's done it under every instructor he's had. And, like the knee, he does it less on the range. :-P

I think Tiger is an extraordinarily strong individual suffering from deep emotional distress which has been aggravated by physical injury. He has nothing he needs to prove. I'm guessing he will retire at the end of the year and I don't see him playing in the Presidents Cup. I think Tiger's all done golf, 2 years minimum. Just a guess.

Ping I15 Driver, Ping i20 3 Wood & i20 Hybrid 3 Iron
Mizuno MP60 4-PW Irons
Vokey Spin Milled 52, 56 & 60 Degree Wedges
Odyssey Black Putter

Would you care to put your money where your mouth is? I am intrigued by those Edel putters and fitting. Shall we bet that?

Originally Posted by jgreen85

tiger sweeps the majors next year; you heard it here first. Though I really do think it will happen, I acknowledge that it doesn't cost me anything to state it here, but meh.

Originally Posted by cdnglf

Because he hasn't had enough time off in the past few years?

Granted he has had time off but what Tiger has been doing the past few years is not your normal "time off."  Nursing the injuries and his personal life doesn't exactly make for great practice sessions.  From now until next season will give him plenty of good practice time assuming his knee is as he says it is and nothing happens during this time.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

you Tiger lemmings are hilarious.

In my Callaway stand bag:

9.5 Degree Taylormade Burner Superfast Adilla Voodoo shaft
3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree Adilla Voodoo shaft
Irons 3-SW: Callaway X-14 Steelhead

Lob wedge: Cleveland 60 degree

Putter: Ping Anser Karsten

Originally Posted by deasy55

Nah, we just get worked up when an idiot (you) posts a troll thread.

I'm glad you parenthesized "you" because you're so clever I would have never recognized the fact you were making reference to me.

I tend to get worked up when the media leads stupid people (like you for example) around by their nose, making the poor SOBs think Tiger is the only guy that matters on tour. If it were still 1998, I could see it, but the man has ruined himself. Please remove yourself from his jock. It is time.

If you knew me at all, then you would know I'm anything but led by the media with reference to Tiger. I have often slated him on this forum (even once got called a Tiger hater). The problem with you is that you are at the opposite end of the barrel. You sound like a snob that refuses to recognise the things Tiger did for golf and it's popularity simply because he has had a tough few years. He's anything but "done". He's 10 years younger than the current world number 3, and as long as he keeps injury free and gets his swing to where he wants it, I don't see how he can be "done". I fully believe that his best years are behind him, but to say that he will never get back to some state of good golf is ridiculous. Talk about jumping to conclusions.

Originally Posted by muggs

I tend to get worked up when the media leads stupid people (like you for example) around by their nose, making the poor SOBs think Tiger is the only guy that matters on tour. If it were still 1998, I could see it, but the man has ruined himself. Please remove yourself from his jock. It is time.

Did you see the 60 yard snap hook into the trees during his second round? You just don't see that on Tour. Heck, I don't even see that in my league and we're nothing more than a step up from duffers. The man is BEYOND lost on many different levels, and you know what, he has no one except himself (and his own Ego) to blame. Now he fires Williams, who obviously has had an immediate affect on Adam Scott's ability to close-out tournaments. He should have never left Harmon.

I realize after witnessing such dominance it's hard to see what is right there in front of us, but the writing is on the wall. This isn't just a guy struggling with his putter. This isn't a guy having issues controlling his driver. This is a guy who's personal "transgressions" have been laid out in front of the world. This is a guy who's wife took his kids, and millions of dollars from him. This is a guy who no longer has his mentor there to help him through things. This is a guy trying to rework what has been one of the best swings the world has ever seen. This is a guy who is lipping out putts he used to center. This is a guy whose knee is failing him.

Like I said, will he piece together a few good tournaments here and there? Sure. If the knee holds up...we may see his name appear occassionally near the top of the leaderboard, but the days of the old Tiger making his Sunday charge are over. It's regretftufl because oh, what could have been. But we need to move on. Just look at these boards...it's still 80% Tiger talk. That's recognize the awesome talent that is out there on tour now, and let's not only talk about a guy who can't even make the cut.

Originally Posted by deasy55

If you knew me at all, then you would know I'm anything but led by the media with reference to Tiger. I have often slated him on this forum (even once got called a Tiger hater). The problem with you is that you are at the opposite end of the barrel. You sound like a snob that refuses to recognise the things Tiger did for golf and it's popularity simply because he has had a tough few years. He's anything but "done". He's 10 years younger than the current world number 3, and as long as he keeps injury free and gets his swing to where he wants it, I don't see how he can be "done". I fully believe that his best years are behind him, but to say that he will never get back to some state of good golf is ridiculous. Talk about jumping to conclusions.

Did you see the 60 yard snap hook into the trees during his second round? You just don't see that on Tour. Heck, I don't even see that in my league and we're nothing more than a step up from duffers. The man is BEYOND lost on many different levels, and you know what, he has no one except himself (and his own Ego) to blame. Now he fires Williams, who obviously has had an immediate affect on Adam Scott's ability to close-out tournaments. He should have never left Harmon.

I realize after witnessing such dominance it's hard to see what is right there in front of us, but the writing is on the wall. This isn't just a guy struggling with his putter. This isn't a guy having issues controlling his driver. This is a guy who's personal "transgressions" have been laid out in front of the world. This is a guy who's wife took his kids, and millions of dollars from him. This is a guy who no longer has his mentor there to help him through things. This is a guy trying to rework what has been one of the best swings the world has ever seen. This is a guy who is lipping out putts he used to center. This is a guy whose knee is failing him.

Like I said, will he piece together a few good tournaments here and there? Sure. If the knee holds up...we may see his name appear occassionally near the top of the leaderboard, but the days of the old Tiger making his Sunday charge are over. It's regretftufl because oh, what could have been. But we need to move on. Just look at these boards...it's still 80% Tiger talk. That's recognize the awesome talent that is out there on tour now, and let's not only talk about a guy who can't even make the cut.

If he stayed with Harmon - he would of probably retired by now because of his knee.

People are gonna talk about Tiger forever - you have to get over it. He was the greatest player of this generation and fell far - of course people are gonna talk about it. Now he;s trying to make a come back and changing a lot of things so of course people are gonna talk about it.

Even you are. You created this thread about Tiger and now you're telling people to stop talking about Tiger

He brings in money and people watch golf when he's in the field. You have the right to turn off the TV if you like - but it won't change anything.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

• Administrator

A) "You see that on Tour" a lot more than you realize. Usually it's by the guys missing the cut (go figure), and rarely is it by the guys near the lead. Dustin Johnson practically shanked a ball OB during the British Open this year. Hunter Mahan chunked a 70-yard wedge shot 20 yards at Firestone. Phil practically whiffed hitting out of the rough at Winged Foot a few times.

B) Where was Williams' "immediate effect" when Scott MCed at the U.S. Open? On a course on which Woods had won, too. Doesn't fit your theory so you leave it out? Scott nearly won the Masters this year too, and that was without Williams on the bag. Perhaps the guy's just having a slightly better year. He won once . It's not like he's setting records.

Originally Posted by muggs

This is a guy trying to rework what has been one of the best swings the world has ever seen. This is a guy who is lipping out putts he used to center. This is a guy whose knee is failing him.

Highly debatable. Tiger could beat you with left-handed clubs built for an 8-year-old kid. Skill matters too. Phil's swing is far from being "good" technically but he makes it work.

Like I said, will he piece together a few good tournaments here and there? Sure. If the knee holds up...we may see his name appear occassionally near the top of the leaderboard, but the days of the old Tiger making his Sunday charge are over.

Tiger never really made "Sunday charges." He won very few tournaments coming from behind. He was almost always in the last group either because he was close (and the guy crumbled) or because he was leading.

Just look at these boards...it's still 80% Tiger talk.

Says the guy who started a Tiger thread.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

People are gonna talk about Tiger forever - you have to get over it. He was the greatest player of this generation and fell far - of course people are gonna talk about it. Now he;s trying to make a come back and changing a lot of things so of course people are gonna talk about it.

Yep.

But I suppose people should stop talking about Ali or Babe Ruth or Joe Montana, too. :-P Difference of course being they're actually retired. :-P

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:
Granted he has had time off but what Tiger has been doing the past few years is not your normal "time off."  Nursing the injuries and his personal life doesn't exactly make for great practice sessions.  From now until next season will give him plenty of good practice time assuming his knee is as he says it is and nothing happens during this time.

Given how often Tiger has talked about needing to play more rounds in competition, taking a full 6 months off from competitive golf seems very unlikely. After all, there's only so much practice one can do.

He's already committed to play in Australia, and he'll probably be in the Presidents Cup. Perhaps he'll play another event or two overseas around that time. After that, presumably he'll play more-or-less the same schedule he's played for years, starting with Torrey Pines at the end of January.

Note: This thread is 4038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!