IGNORED

Suggestions: Lessons or Clinic ?

Scott L
Note: This thread is 6243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all, Im new to golf. I actually bought most of my clubs and started last year. But didnt take it too seriously and only played about 6-7 times all last year. I made it my own personal commitment to play alot more this year and TRY and get better. I really enjoy the game of golf.

So to date, I have probably only played 10 rounds max. So I was thinking, I assume golf is like anything else and bad habbits are hard to break. So I thought that since Im so new and dont really have any habits yet, I should learn the correct stance, swing, etc...

I was thinking of getting some personal lessons. But not really sure how to find the right teacher. I dont want to just drive up to the closest course and hire their "pro" and he suck and it be a waste of my money or worse, not help me.. Also, what should I expect? How many lessons should I take to get me on my feet? What is the average price?

I did some internet searching and came across Hank Haney's site. As some of you probably know, he is Tiger Wood's trainer. Golfdigest.com ranks him as the #4 teacher in America. But hiring him is like $600/hour and I cannot really afford that. Not to mention I suspect he is probably geared more toward experienced golfers and not hackers like me... But he does have a whole staff of guys he supposedly trained and they teach using his techniques.. The range from $60/hour to $250/hour depending on the experience of the instructors.

I called and they said they also offer a beginners clinic. Its only $199. Its 5 days (1 day a week, 1 hour each). You are in a small group of only 4 people and they cover all aspects of game. They video you and analyze your swing, etc.

So my question is, for someone like me... what would be my best choice? Should I do some kind of clinic like that or should I get a personal trainer for more one on one time?? I dont mind going to this Haney place, but they are a good hour away from me... There are tons of places closer... not sure if the average golf pro at these other places would be just as good???

Now, as for my game. I bought pretty good equipment so that I couldnt blame it on having cheap/crappy clubs. Here is what I have:

Driver: Nike Sasquatch 9.5' - graphite/stiff
Woods: Nike Sasquatch 3 wood - graphite/stiff
Hybrid: Nike Slingshot Tour Hybrid 21* - graphite/stiff
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS - graphite/flex
Wedge: Nike SV Tour 52* and 60*
Putter: Nike OZ T160
Bag: Nike Black/Yellow Sasquatch
Balls: Nike One Platinum

Im actually not too shabby. I know people who have been playing alot longer than me and shoot the same or worse than me. I play as legit as possible. I count every single stroke and only take 1 mulligan per round. (some of my friends scoot ball a little, take more mulligans, etc). I dont really have anything against that, but I just really want to know where I am and if Im improving. Cant really know that if each time Im redoing shots, cheating, etc...

I would say my average score is about 110. Iv been as bad as 122 and as good as 99. The 99 score was on a pretty wide open par 71 course. But usually Im in the 110 range.

On Sunday I played with a guy who is actually trying to get sponsored and play some kind of pro-am thing. He is like a +2 handicap golfer. He said that I am actually a really good putter. Which he said is the best thing to be good at. Funny the way he put this. He said if you are a scratch golfer and hit GIR every hole, you are putting 36 times. That means HALF OF YOUR SHOTS are putting. So why do people practice driving at driving range 90% of the time when its clearly not as important??

My driving is decent. I dont hit it 300 yards, but I would say I average around 230-250yds. I still have a slice once in a while but Im getting better at that. I do hit my 3 wood alot better than my driver. And I very seldomly slice my irons at all.

But I would say by far my worst part of my game is chipping around 60 yards and closer. I cant seem to figure this out for the life of me. My 60* wedge sometimes flops 5 yards in front of me, or goes over the green like a 9 iron... My last game of 114 could have been in the high 90s if I wasnt playing ping pong all day around the green...

I dont want to go out and shoot in the 70s... I would be perfectly happy to just be more consistent and break 100 on average....

Thanks ahead of time, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Driver: Nike Sasquatch 9.5* - graphite/stiff
Woods: Nike Sasquatch 3W 15* - graphite/stiff
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS - graphite/flex
Wedges: Callaway X-Tour 54* and 60*
Putter: Nike OZ T160Bag: Nike Black/Yellow Sasquatch

I will give you the same advice I give people when they come in the golf shop asking the same question. Group lessons are great for beginners. You will get more for your money in a group lesson. They will go over the basics and get you started on the right track. Once you get your fundamentals down if you want to continue and work on specific aspects of your game then it will be time for one on one instruction.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I will give you the same advice I give people when they come in the golf shop asking the same question. Group lessons are great for beginners. You will get more for your money in a group lesson. They will go over the basics and get you started on the right track. Once you get your fundamentals down if you want to continue and work on specific aspects of your game then it will be time for one on one instruction.

I'll second this, and also suggest that if you're worried about hiring a bad instructor, to approach a few and simply say "I want ten lessons (or whatever) over the course of this year, but I'd like one trial one first to see if we're a good fit." See if they offer you a reduced rate or even a freebie. Some may not believe you - they may think you're scamming for a free lesson - but it can't hurt to ask, and I trust of course that you WILL be honest.

Also, ask for recommendations from other golfers, if you know of any.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Group lessons first; you'll know when you need individual attention. The pros at your range (not to be confused with "range experts" - people offering free advice) probably have a rate.

And also have them look at your clubs and check the shafts. You might be using mis-fit clubs. I tried using stiff shafts for a while, and had horrible shots. Switching to regular flex saved me a ton of shots.

Finally, pick a pro to take swing advice from and ignore everyone else. Golf is unique among sports in that just about everyone who plays seems to think that they can teach people how to play. Just because I shoot lower rounds than you do (at the moment) doesn't mean I know how to help you close the gap.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 6243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!