IGNORED

If You DO NOT Take Lessons, Why?

iacas
Note: This thread is 4635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you do not take lessons, please select all the reasons why and elaborate in a post below.

• Lessons cost too much.
    • Don't think you can get any better.
    • Friend (or you) had bad previous experience with lessons.
    • No good instructors nearby.
    • Don't have the time.
    • Like to try to figure things out entirely on your own.
    • Don't want to have your swing "rebuilt" or "torn apart."
    • Don't want to get worse before you get better.
    • Don't want to be criticized.
    • Don't want to see your swing on video.
    • Other

For me it's the fact that the content and quality of the lesson is completely unknown.  The cost of a lesson is a decent-sized, but not massive amount of money.  If I spend, say 60 bucks, in my general life, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting -- a nice shirt, a nice meal, a week of groceries, even a bunch of range balls.   If I spend 60 bucks (and some time) on a golf lesson, I have no idea what's going to happen to that money.  I feel like there's a pretty good chance that it will be a complete waste.  Perhaps it's overly pessimistic, but I just feel like a lot of instructors are in the business of giving either A) generic advice or B) very basic tips to people who can't hit a ball.

If I knew that there was an instructor who could provide specific input to improve a fairly athletic, but somewhat flawed, swing then I'd sign up for a few lessons.   I'd be looking for the "here are 3 things you're doing wrong and here are a handful of ways to fix it".  I have no interest in "today we're going to teach you how to set up, next week the takeaway" or "you're hooking it because you're closing the face at impact".

Now I admit that I could be way off in my impression of the general quality of golf lessons.   But that's the primary reason why I haven't gone that route yet.

• Upvote 1

I voted for "time".  I know my swing sucks, but with a 6 and 3 year old + work, honestly my once a week round is my "lesson".  Even if I went for 1 lesson a week, I'm told you need to practice what you've been taught - no time for that either.

I've playing golf for 11 years - for the past five or so I've ranged between a 16-20 handicap.  Sometimes good, sometimes bad.  Maybe when I retire?

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

If you want to go low, find an instructor.  If you are against instruction, maybe just one or two lessons will do.  I'm well above average in athletic ability and I found that it took quite a bit of work to work my way down to a 12 handicap.  I eventually got frustrated with the big numbers and inconsistency that would pop up out of nowhere and decided to seek out some lessons.  I took one lesson where the instructor fixed a key address posture issue and immediately got better, getting down to roughly 9 handicap in a few weeks.  I plateaued at around 9 for a year or so, then took two more lessons and within about 3 months, worked my way down to where I am at now.  Those swing changes were a bit more difficult to integrate than the posture changes, but there is no way I could have ever gotten down to less than 5 handicap without them.  The reason I recommend lessons is because of a bias problem.  If you aren't striking the ball purely in the center of the face every time, or you can do it most of the time, but occasionally you mishit it and don't know exactly why, you are blind to how you are swinging in some way.  When pros mishit it, they almost always know why.  When they don't know why, they go to an instructor because they recognize they have a bias preventing them from seeing the truth about the way they are moving or thinking about the golf swing.  I bet a great poll would be, When you took your first lesson, did you ever have the feeling, "That's weird.  I never would have thought that's the right way to do that part of the golf swing". My guess is the results would be pretty close to 100%.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I'll add another thought- It should depend on what you want to do. Get down to a scratch or better, go on the tour, Champions Tour maybe? Then instructors and coaches should be working to get you to make a repeatable, technically sound swing. But if you're looking just to keep a few more drives in the fairway and maybe take a few bucks from your buddies on a weekend, then the instructor should be able to work with YOUR swing WITHOUT major changes. He should know that you don't have 6 hours a day to practice the gain the muscle memories. It might just be a slight change in address, swing plane or something similar. Something that is easy to remember and repeat without thinking about every lesson. You can see the people who take "Lessons"- they stand out in the middle of the fairway making 14 practice swings while checking their foot placement, arm angle, hinge point, etc... drives us nuts. You need to be honest with him/her and be realistic in your goals. Odds are you don't have the time to become a scratch by the end of the summer, but taking 5-6 shots off to nab that nassau off that guy you've been subsidizing for 5 years is something more realistic to achieve.

1) I'm a cheapskate.

2) I have a two-year-old. That siphons off a lot of time and money (see #1).

3) In the last few years I've taken my handicap from 20+ down to single digits without lessons. That progress might have been faster with lessons, but I enjoy the process of sifting through swing advice from a variety of sources and figuring out what works for me.

• Upvote 1

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

I voted "Cost too much" and "Don't have enough time" (to practice and ingrain the new swing changes) as my reasons for having not taken lessons recently.

However, I have twice taken a series of 3 lessons w/video swing analysis by a local pro Vince Mastro, who is a very good instructor for me.  I took these lessons about 10 and 5 years ago, and yes, both times Vince helped me re-build my swing, which saved my back and improved my ball striking as well.  I went from a self taught controlled fade/straight ball, to a much better controlled draw or straight ball flight.  Alas my hcp stayed about the same, but my overall enjoyment went up immeasureably as I finally experienced what compressing/trapping the ball felt like to hit a sweet draw.  I also learned how to hit knockdowns and running chip shots, which expanded my repertoire, if not my overall consistency.  The process of learning some new swing motion sequences was a real PIA, as I was hitting maybe 3-4 good shots out of an entire medium bucket of balls at the range before starting to see improvement after weekly range practice for 1-2 months (I must be a real slow learner!)

Update to present > I have been working on trying to take better divots in front of the ball with my irons, with some limited success so far this year.  I have been only able to play 3 full 18 hole rounds and 1 nine hole round this year, but have gotten to the range perhaps 5x.  After taking the free 20 minute swing evaluation at Golf Tec, I was able to use some of their drills to shoot a 4 over 39 with my golf league buddies, and just this past Sunday, hit some really solid full approach shots and partial 30-60 yard wedges, that delighted my partner and deflated our opponents in a 2 man Scramble match.  My next lessons will be on getting my driver and longer iron shots either beyond the ladies tee's, or outtah the woods!

My overall experience with lessons, especially the video analysis, was positive, as I got to see the difference between what I "felt" was good swing mechanics, versus what I was actually doing during the swing.  This helped my mind wrap around embracing some new swing feelings that have helped me hit better shots.  Since my prior swing thoughts were a mess, I don't think I could have found a way out without the lessons.

My reasons....first the cost is staggering Golf Tech wanted me to sign up for a package that would have been $1000.00! Many golf lessons cost way too much when you add that to the cost of trying to play once a week and cost of equipment.

One of the first things they wanted me to do was start to cock my wrist at the start of my back swing

and that screwed me up for months and made me feel like I would never get it. Later I saw a video

keeping the hands quiet on take away and hinging at the top. My point is they made me feel like there was only one way to do it.

I would like to find someone to work with I still feel like lessons are something everyone should do.

It's not always a new club that will do the trick but a better swing.

I love the ones that say "I can't afford it or it's too expensive".  It's all about priorities.  If you look around, you probably spend money on something you could do without occasionally...even if that something is one round of golf per month.  And the ones who make excuses like that, if they are honest with themselves and others, it's mainly a pride thing.  What also gets me are the guys who think if they get lessons they have to completely learn the golf swing over.  I believe that a good instructor will only make an adjustment or two at a time.  It's too much to ask of a student to do an overhaul unless that guy really wants to go to that extreme.  What's truly amazing is to see your swing on video.  I have seen several times where I thought I was in good positions only to find I was swinging under plane or making a move I didn't realize I was doing.  It's invaluable.  There's nothing more satisfying than grooving a good swing, taking it to the course and scoring well or simply giving yourself a chance to score well.  Good luck boys.

Originally Posted by Doctorfro

I love the ones that say "I can't afford it or it's too expensive".  It's all about priorities.

It's interesting you say priorities.  If you have a young family, say two children, what "priorities" do you think are most important?  Diapers and such for your children or golf lessons?  Not everyone has an unlimited bank account...especially in this economy.

You can't arbitrarily make a statement like that without knowing what everyone's personal situation is.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I voted "time".  Not that I don't have time for the lessons, but I don't have the time to dedicate to playing and practicing to make the lesson (much more) worth while.

And of course it's all about priorities.  I could play (more) golf if I had to.  I'm sure many people could also afford lessons if they had to.

I really like to golf.  Sure, I'd like to be better.  But, I have a great time playing now with my friends a couple times per week.  I'm good enough not to embarrass myself, and have no real desire to be a great golfer.

I can't imagine taking the time and resources needed to really get better at golf while having a full time job and family...

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

It's interesting you say priorities.  If you have a young family, say two children, what "priorities" do you think are most important?  Diapers and such for your children or golf lessons?  Not everyone has an unlimited bank account...especially in this economy.

You can't arbitrarily make a statement like that without knowing what everyone's personal situation is.

When my kids were young I spent a significant amount of time on the golf course, placing an unfair burden on my wife, not to mention missing out on lots of family stuff.  So I had an epiphany and decided to put golf on the back burner.  When the kids got older they took an interest in the game so we all got some instruction and now enjoy the game together.  What a great investment.  There's a time and season for everything and when you get to certain points in life, with some planning and perspective, you can make certain things work...even golf lessons.  What I would love to know is how many people took advantage of free golf lessons back a couple years ago when the PGA had their intitiative to do so?  Probably not many.

Originally Posted by Doctorfro

When my kids were young I spent a significant amount of time on the golf course, placing an unfair burden on my wife, not to mention missing out on lots of family stuff.  So I had an epiphany and decided to put golf on the back burner.  When the kids got older they took an interest in the game so we all got some instruction and now enjoy the game together.  What a great investment.  There's a time and season for everything and when you get to certain points in life, with some planning and perspective, you can make certain things work...even golf lessons.  What I would love to know is how many people took advantage of free golf lessons back a couple years ago when the PGA had their intitiative to do so?  Probably not many.

You're willing to admit your priorities were F'd up. Some guys (and their families) are lucky enough to realize golf is a relatively selfish hobby before their kids are born.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

You're willing to admit your priorities were F'd up. Some guys (and their families) are lucky enough to realize golf is a relatively selfish hobby before their kids are born.

That's right. It's unfortunate but there's a reason for that. This thread is not the place to discuss (pm me for more info).  The point is if you WANT lessons but say you can't afford it, in many cases (not all) you can figure out a way to fund it.

The doesn't matter option. The difference in enjoyment between being a 20 handicapper and a 10 is minimal so why spend the 4 hours a week practicing (and if you aren't going to practice, lessons are pretty much a waste).

Originally Posted by Gresh24

I voted "time".  Not that I don't have time for the lessons, but I don't have the time to dedicate to playing and practicing to make the lesson (much more) worth while.

And of course it's all about priorities.  I could play (more) golf if I had to.  I'm sure many people could also afford lessons if they had to.

I really like to golf.  Sure, I'd like to be better.  But, I have a great time playing now with my friends a couple times per week.  I'm good enough not to embarrass myself, and have no real desire to be a great golfer.

I can't imagine taking the time and resources needed to really get better at golf while having a full time job and family...

I'll weigh an opinion on this, and attempt to help the point of the thread. I've gather that iacas is a golfing instructor, and I would then assume that this thread would be to try and figure out how to gain more business. I'm in the "up and coming" golfer age group, and I would imagine that for someone who is in business this is the main target market, IE, no kids, no wife, no mortgage and love for the game of golf.

I have been playing for two years, and for the first 22 months I was of the same mindset as alot of posts in this thread "Too much money" "not enough time" "will it help anyway" blah blah blah. I recently took a lesson and spent $60 for an hour with a local pro at my home course (not sure if that's expensive or cheap in comparrison) and it was literally the best money I've ever spent on golf. I am beginning to take more lessons with him and it's showing on my scorecard. Now it would be unfair to say that everyone who went to see him would be able to take the same benefits I did, or even take them as quickly. But one thing about my age catagory (that seems to be consistent in a few with the reponses on this website) is that I've grown up in a world where  value/money well spent is everything. So what I mean by that is I've already boasted about my experiences and convinced two other friends to see this same guy that normally wouldn't have ever considered a lesson. The main thing I outlined before my lesson was I didn't want to have a complete teardown / rebuild of my swing. I just wanted better ball contact and more consistancy. Which is exactly what I'm getting.

I'm positive that someone running a business on lessons doesn't me to tell them that their biggest selling features is their customers themselves, but it would be of serious interest to see what type of results they could track and pass along to potential clients. IE, providing consist lessons/training to 1 specific golfer (perhaps a couple of different starting capabilities) and use that as a selling feature. "We've worked with John here for just X sessions at 1 hour each, and he's made serious improvements in his driving, and chipping, therefore gone from scoring mid 90s to high 80's consistantly!" - Or whatever. I just don't see enough (Again I don't browse every internet site) people pushing for the up and coming golfer, instead trying to chase people who are already involved in golf.

Golf seems to be one of those sports where you're from one side or the other. You're either the occasional weekend hacker who likes a beer and 19 holes with your buddies. Or like myself, and many others on this site. You've found golf to be such a true passion, and like any other true passion all you want to do is get better. The people who say "I can't afford it" or "I have no time" I can respect to a degree, but you play golf...an extremely expensive sport (if you play a lot). So if you have kids or a mortage or rent or whatever and you've budget $200 that month for golf, why not play 1-2 less rounds and take a lesson? Same goes for time, take one round of golf away a month and invest that time into a lesson. I'd be interested to see more responses based on reasons apart from $$$ and time, because essentially if you wanted a lesson bad enough, you'd make some sacrifices to have them.

I really hope that someone who answered with time/$$$ isn't offended by my suggestions - as there is no offense intended. But would rather reply with a different reason why a lesson may not be in their priorities. I've met so many older golfers who have never had a lesson, yet get so frustrated when they can't make solid contact or have any consistancy.

My Home Course: http://chilliwackgolf.com/

In my Taylormade Bag:

The Big Stick: Calloway FT-I / Mini Big Stick: Calloway FT

2HY - Nickent 4DX IW

Irons 4-PW: Taylormade Burner 09

52' - Cleveland CG 15

56' Cleveland CG 12

60- Wilson Unknown.

Money Maker - Odessy White Hot Tour #5

I took lessons from age 10 through 13.  Then quit until last year.  So all of my muscle memory is still there.  The grip, swing, stance, balance, etc.. are all still there.

I did take a lesson recently and was a little disappointed to find out that all the instructor wanted to do was teach me Ben Hogans book.  Which I've read and reference all the time, and looking back, the instructor was way off on the grip.

So for me, its not worth the money, and I guess I was looking for Hank Haney style instructions.

For example:  "Jason, you release your hands way to early.  Try this, and heres a drill you can use when you leave here".

That style of teaching I appreciate.

If I had time to practice and play I'd go to a pro.  But people I see that go to pros aren't any better than people who don't, but they get angrier when they mishit.  I figure I only play a couple times a month and don't practice so I have zero expectations and am able to enjoy myself on the course.  In fact I'm playing the best golf of my life right now because I figured out I just have to keep it on the course and I'll at least get a bogey.  I'll have one triple a round, a birdie or two and shoot low 80's. If I could eliminate 3 putts I'd shoot upper 70's.  Why go see a pro?

Now, when my 4 year old took up the game I bought a package of group lessons through a female PGA pro for my son, my father in law, and myself.  Totally useless to me and my father in law but my son learned a classic golf swing and is a terrific little player now.  I think for kids or somebody just starting out finding a good pro is essential.  But in my situation where I don't maintain a handicap, probably play less than 20 rounds a summer, don't even carry 14 clubs, I doubt it would help anything.

I would like to putt better though.  Not awesome, just no more three putts.  Then I'd play people for some $$$.

Nike Sweet 16

Callaway Steelhead Plus 19*

Srixon I-701 3-P

Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 52* & 58*

Cleveland VP Milled No. 3

Note: This thread is 4635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!