IGNORED

Backyard putting green...

SuaSponteMn
Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by wadesworld

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

If I had enough money to build a real putting green, I think I'd have enough money to hire someone from a nearby course to maintain it.

With that said, I doubt I'll ever have that kind of money, so should I ever build anything, it's likely going to be artificial.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

i went artificial and it's awesome, improved my stats from 5' by a lot already.

Yes VMAN, I saw the pictures of your green. SWG do an amazing job. I have got their turf, too.

Are you still satisfied with the slopes of your green? Would you do something different?

Since my green will be kind of longish, it will be limited slope-wise. I am thinking to have one long side flat for straight, long putts - and one end of the other side sloping down at 1 to 2 %. I don't think I will be able to get 3 %.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by Hollister

Yes VMAN, I saw the pictures of your green. SWG do an amazing job. I have got their turf, too.

Are you still satisfied with the slopes of your green? Would you do something different?

Since my green will be kind of longish, it will be limited slope-wise. I am thinking to have one long side flat for straight, long putts - and one end of the other side sloping down at 1 to 2 %. I don't think I will be able to get 3 %.

I'm happy.  I couldn't put too much slope in but we do have a couple of features that affect the ball.  Mine is about 450 sf with three cups, that is plenty and I can roll some 22' putts to check my tempo.  It rolls true, though I think I need to invest in a landscape roller to roll it every few months or so.  SWG will come out for a very nominal fee every couple of years to check everything and roll it if warranted.

We rarely putt from edge to edge unless I have a couple of buddies over, usually we play chipping games if anything.  Way more fun, since we always two putt from anywhere on the green (for the most part)

If I had limitless funds and space, it would be bigger with more features for chipping and ptiching.  Though we can hold shots from the upper deck, which is about 35 yads away.  As far as putting, I spend most of my time honing my stroke from 8' and in on the area of the green that I had the guys make dead level (I checked it myself prior to the turf installation).  As far as game improvement, that has been the biggest factor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Anyone have any knowledge/building plans for a backyard putting green? Moving into our first house, and we have a little under an acre for a backyard. Got permission from the mrs, and want to make a little three cup green for putting/chipping. Looking to make the green out of a synthetic material. Any advice?

I'm considering it in my back yard too, I'm looking at turftekusa.com but haven't gotten a quote yet.  I'll post back here in this thread when I do.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Personally if I were going to do this, I would do it right and get one of the professional kits/setups.  No point in cobbling something together that doesn't really replicate a real green and looks like crap.

I have herd of tour links like posted above. My neighbor in upstate NY has one. I think 5 holes. Time consuming and costly to put in but I am sure it's well worth it. I personally have me we looked into them as far as installing one at my home.

What's in the bag?
2 Iron, 3 Iron, 4 Iron, 5 Iron, 6 Iron, 7 Iron, 8 Iron, 9 Iron, PW, GW, 3 Wood, 5 Wood, Putter
Titleist Irons, Callaway Woods and a Jack Nicklaus putter. Cigars and a case of Stella.

• 2 months later...

if you type this in the search forums dialog box at the top of the screen, there are dozens of threads relating to this. I only mention it as you will probably be able to find exactly what you are looking for. Good luck, and post pics when you build yours as I for one would like to see what you did.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!