IGNORED

Dayton, OH

blcox
Note: This thread is 1703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

43 holes golfed today, 2 eagles and 2 birdies.

First eagle 500 yd par 5 Driver and 7 iron to here

Tapped in for eagle. 2nd eagle was 2 holes later, 475 yd 4 iron 4 iron and chip in from 15 yards out.

All in all, good day of golf!

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 eagles in 3 holes? Niiiiceee. My golf was interrupted by a dead starter on my daughters car. Playing Homestead in the morning though.

- Shane

That happened right in the middle of the round from hole 8 to hole 10. I birdied the 4th on my second go around which is a 470 yard par 5 with driver 8 iron and 2 putt. Basically I need to start hitting the range before starting my round. The first 7 holes were up and down with several lost balls until I actually warmed up. I'm starting to groove my swing where it needs to be I think because I can feel it fall into "the slot" and feel the lag release. It's a pretty awesome feeling. Then the sound of the pure strike and watching that high slight draw ball flight is pretty awesome. Just wish I could get that more reliably. I think now that I know how the right swing feels I may have a better chance and learning to repeat it. That could just be wishful thinking though. We'll see, I took Tuesday off and will be going out again to see if I do better if I do some range warm up before playing. Hope you do well on your round.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

90 at Homestead. 2 triples on the front killed me. I was going to lay up on #9, but I knew @iacas would not be pleased.

Showing your better handicap over me. I may have some great holes but I am not as steady. I don't think I've had a round under like 92 or so. I'm hoping to break into the 80's this year. If I don't make it into the 80's by next year I may just hang up the clubs. I need to get at least to a decent level of golf or I won't be able to enjoy myself. The flashes of promise I see this year can only keep me interested for so long ha.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Showing your better handicap over me. I may have some great holes but I am not as steady. I don't think I've had a round under like 92 or so. I'm hoping to break into the 80's this year. If I don't make it into the 80's by next year I may just hang up the clubs. I need to get at least to a decent level of golf or I won't be able to enjoy myself. The flashes of promise I see this year can only keep me interested for so long ha.

Not to worry. I played in the 90s and up for years. I finally got serious about practicing short game and some recovery shots (which still come in handy) and got into the 80s. Hoping to make it into the 70s soon. Golf is a game that you have to love for what it is, not what you score. If it was about a score, I would have quit a LONG time ago. It's great to score good, but is that really why you play?

- Shane

Not to worry. I played in the 90s and up for years. I finally got serious about practicing short game and some recovery shots (which still come in handy) and got into the 80s. Hoping to make it into the 70s soon. Golf is a game that you have to love for what it is, not what you score. If it was about a score, I would have quit a LONG time ago. It's great to score good, but is that really why you play?

Yes, I am competitive by nature. I recognize that there is a limit to how well I can play though. If I can't reach that limit and stay there then I lose interest. It may be different if I had a core group of people I played with a lot but since I play alone I need some sort of motivation to keep me playing. My short game isn't too bad these days, mostly I need to get my full swing more consistent and work on shots 50-90 yards out.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Yes, I am competitive by nature. I recognize that there is a limit to how well I can play though. If I can't reach that limit and stay there then I lose interest. It may be different if I had a core group of people I played with a lot but since I play alone I need some sort of motivation to keep me playing. My short game isn't too bad these days, mostly I need to get my full swing more consistent and work on shots 50-90 yards out.

I hear ya. I would wager if you gave it up, you would be back soon. It's a game you can never win, but that's what keeps you coming back.

- Shane

It's great to score good, but is that really why you play?

For me it's partially this. Golf to me can be both competitive and relaxing. It's strange. Some days I can just go out, not carry a scorecard and just enjoy the day. Golf is also a place I can go unwind. So really for me golf is an outlet. If I get frustrated over something I can go loose myself on the course for about 4 hours. Then there is the competitive side. I love getting better at golf. Just love it. So I love to shoot well. It really is a strange duality there. I would say until I found the peaceful side of golf, I was way more uptight on the course and didn't enjoy it as much. I use to be the classic angry golfer.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

For me, it's "that shot". There were several today, but I almost holed a 5i on 18. There has been several rounds full of "those shots", making it "that round". It's good to be driven to improve, but it's good to keep it in perspective.

- Shane

For me, it's "that shot". There were several today, but I almost holed a 5i on 18. There has been several rounds full of "those shots", making it "that round". It's good to be driven to improve, but it's good to keep it in perspective.

I had one those shots today. This hole is a nasty par 3. The green is pure evil. Its shaped like a bowl but someone messed up making it. The pin was back right, tucked. I pushed my shot and hit the hard fringe and bounced about yard into the rough. So shortsided, and if you get the ball rolling fast you will end up 30 feet to the front center of the green at the bottom of the bowl. So I took my 56, tons of weight forward. Took a heft swing and slide the club under the ball just popping it up slightly and carried it about an inch onto the green. The ball tracked towards the hole, and it almost went 360 degrees around the lip before it fell in. Birdie chip in!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have a lot of "those shots" but the frustrating thing is having a bunch of those but having the round ruined by 3 or 4 holes where I play like utter crap. I think if I hit fewer shots that were really good I'd be more apt to accept that I'm at my limit of how good I can be, but when I have 2 eagles in 3 holes striking the ball like I was it's more frustrating when I lose it all 4 holes later.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I had one those shots today. This hole is a nasty par 3. The green is pure evil. Its shaped like a bowl but someone messed up making it. The pin was back right, tucked. I pushed my shot and hit the hard fringe and bounced about yard into the rough. So shortsided, and if you get the ball rolling fast you will end up 30 feet to the front center of the green at the bottom of the bowl. So I took my 56, tons of weight forward. Took a heft swing and slide the club under the ball just popping it up slightly and carried it about an inch onto the green. The ball tracked towards the hole, and it almost went 360 degrees around the lip before it fell in. Birdie chip in!!!

I have a lot of "those shots" but the frustrating thing is having a bunch of those but having the round ruined by 3 or 4 holes where I play like utter crap. I think if I hit fewer shots that were really good I'd be more apt to accept that I'm at my limit of how good I can be, but when I have 2 eagles in 3 holes striking the ball like I was it's more frustrating when I lose it all 4 holes later.

It's amazing. Even in the midst of a frustrating round, BAM! I about gave up the game about 12-13 years ago. I was playing at Beechwood and topped a drive then laid up (par 4 with a big lake). I was literally walking to my ball thinking I was done because I wasn't getting any better. The next shot flew about 160 yards and went in the hole. The rest is history. No matter what level you are at, there will always be something to work on or improve. Even the pros do. I was at a drum clinic with Todd Sucherman, the drummer for Styx. This guy is freakin awesome, but when it cam question time, I asked what he was working on. He had that look like he had never been asked that question before, but then he smiled and said he was working on some stuff from Buddy Rich that was totally kicking his butt. I guarantee that there will always be something you want to improve on no matter how good you get. There are a few people that are content with walking around the course slapping the ball around, but then there are people like us with a fire in our bellies.

- Shane

Stillwater Valley in Versailles is on Group golfer. $15 for 18 with cart. The deal is available to buy for the next 16 hours, but it can be used anytime from then until Nov. 1st. Here is the link.

http://www.groupgolfer.com/deals.php?id=1004015

- Shane

Stillwater Valley in Versailles is on Group golfer. $15 for 18 with cart. The deal is available to buy for the next 16 hours, but it can be used anytime from then until Nov. 1st. Here is the link.

http://www.groupgolfer.com/deals.php?id=1004015

Do we have a day that we could get together do play?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

It's good until Nov. 1. I'm sure we could find a day before then.

Sounds good, I'd like to try to get together pretty soon. Very tired of playing solo rounds all the time ha!

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Sounds good, I'd like to try to get together pretty soon. Very tired of playing solo rounds all the time ha!

The weather this Saturday looks really nice.

- Shane

Note: This thread is 1703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!