IGNORED

Dayton, OH

blcox
Note: This thread is 1729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, found a deal on a round at Lakeland Golf Club in St Paris, Ohio. Anyone played it before able to give me some insight on what I'm in for?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

45 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

So, found a deal on a round at Lakeland Golf Club in St Paris, Ohio. Anyone played it before able to give me some insight on what I'm in for?

Not me. 

- Shane

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

You guys are awful quiet up there...

Hasn't been much to talk about, but here are a few things.

Played Beavercreek for the first time on Sunday. Nice, but not $50 nice. Shot a 95 with a wicked bad back nine. Same driver issues that have been killing me, but I'm getting my Covert back today or tomorrow ahead of my vacation trip.

There was something in the paper about the City of Dayton settling with Walther over whatever the hell he did at Community. No details on what exactly that was.

Rollandia apparently has been sold. It's going to be more housing.

Just now, mcanadiens said:

Hasn't been much to talk about, but here are a few things.

Played Beavercreek for the first time on Sunday. Nice, but not $50 nice. Shot a 95 with a wicked bad back nine. Same driver issues that have been killing me, but I'm getting my Covert back today or tomorrow ahead of my vacation trip.

There was something in the paper about the City of Dayton settling with Walther over whatever the hell he did at Community. No details on what exactly that was.

Rollandia apparently has been sold. It's going to be more housing.

I would usually play the twilight rate at BCreek. It used to be $22 after 5PM. If you do that in the middle of the summer, you can still get 18 in. I always liked that course. Not sure what was going on at Community. If the city ever officially heard about the shenanigans at Kittyhawk, I'm not sure the mayor would be too pleased. 

Not surprised about Rollandia. I think his attempted purchase of Greene CC a few years ago tapped him out. I know there was some discussion about who was getting stuck with the tab for the repairs.

Y'all getting ready for fall?

- Shane

3 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Not surprised about Rollandia. I think his attempted purchase of Greene CC a few years ago tapped him out. I know there was some discussion about who was getting stuck with the tab for the repairs.

Y'all getting ready for fall?

Actually, Fink was leasing the land. The owner of the land sold it, so Fink's Greene CC debacle probably didn't have much to do with it.

Mainly getting ready for the Outer Banks. I've been peeking at the Golfnow prices for the area courses. Definitely got to get back to the Carolina Club. Four years ago or so, I broke 100 for the first time there. Who knows, maybe 80 this time.

Just now, mcanadiens said:

Actually, Fink was leasing the land. The owner of the land sold it, so Fink's Greene CC debacle probably didn't have much to do with it.

Mainly getting ready for the Outer Banks. I've been peaking at the Golfnow prices for the area courses. Definitely got to get back to the Carolina Club. Four years ago or so, I broke 100 for the first time there. Who knows, maybe 80 this time.

Nice. Gotta get the vaca in before tax season. That reminds me. I need to find a tax person down here. Gonna be confusing with the move and expenses.

- Shane

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

Nice. Gotta get the vaca in before tax season. That reminds me. I need to find a tax person down here. Gonna be confusing with the move and expenses.

Like anything else, I guess you ask around. Just make sure that whoever you go with can explain what he's doing in a way you can understand. Otherwise, you may have a problem. 

The moving expenses are just paper work. Sorting out your documentation and categorizing the types of expense. Part of claiming it is having the mileage from your old home to your new workplace and from your old home to your old workplace. That's easy enough.

Florida, from an income tax perspective is pretty easy since there is no state income tax. Just make sure that you are only paying Ohio tax on the money you earned in Ohio.

Not sure if you were in a city for taxing purposes (Huber?). If you were, convincing them you really did move can be a pain. Some cities want proof you actually moved out of their city. One old guy had a miserable time with Oakwood before we helped him out.

A couple of little wrinkles but nothing too hateful. 

@mcanadiens Yep. The expenses were reimbursed and their website tracked them. There were additional unreimbursed expenses too. Then there is the sale (hopefully) of my house factored in. My house is in the Dayton city limits. Always ticked me off that I didn't get a resident discount at the city courses. 

A friend of mine moved to Alabama and took a hit for the money they paid him to relocate, but he didn't deduct his expenses. He got stuck with a big bill plus penalties from Uncle Sam. I told him to talk to a tax pro about filing an amended return, but I don't think he did.

- Shane

17 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

A friend of mine moved to Alabama and took a hit for the money they paid him to relocate, but he didn't deduct his expenses. He got stuck with a big bill plus penalties from Uncle Sam. I told him to talk to a tax pro about filing an amended return, but I don't think he did.

Yeah. We see a bunch of people that have this problem. It usually never occurs to them to keep their receipts, but reimbursements without expenses = income as far as the taxing authorities are concerned.  Few people have the will power to go back a reconstruct their expenses either. They just pay and then complain. Let your friend know that he has three years, then its too late.

A good general rule they should teach children is that if you are paying money in order to make money, keep the receipt.   

So, I'm in Columbus for seminar for work that's supposed to be over around 4 or so. Any suggestions for a course that would be worth trying to stop at before heading back home?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

10 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

So, I'm in Columbus for seminar for work that's supposed to be over around 4 or so. Any suggestions for a course that would be worth trying to stop at before heading back home?

Not really. Furthest east course over there that I've played is Windy Knolls in Springfield. That's probably 40 minutes or so back this way from C-Bus.

For what it's worth, I liked Windy Knolls on the one occasion that I played it. Most of it is sort of links-like. Course conditions were decent and the course was a proper difficulty for yours truly.

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Can't go wrong with Muirfield Village. ;-)

If you are coming back across I-70, which I doubt you are, National Golf Links isn't bad. It's east of Springfield and can be seen from the interstate. 

@George P would be the person to ask I believe.

- Shane

Note: This thread is 1729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!