IGNORED

Dayton, OH

blcox
Note: This thread is 1704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It looks like Yankee is on Fall rates now. I'm seeing $31 after 1 p.m. and am assuming that includes cart (not that is specifically says so).

This Saturday is open for me. Sunday is a bit iffy. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

It looks like Yankee is on Fall rates now. I'm seeing $31 after 1 p.m. and am assuming that includes cart (not that is specifically says so).

I have to help my mother move this weekend, but depending on the progress we make I should be able to get out for a round. I'll get back with you on it once I talk to my family. Hopefully they start moving her today and tomorrow so that we don't have to do everything this weekend.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

On 10/6/2016 at 10:28 AM, mcanadiens said:

Well, I took today off to try to help get ahead of the game on this moving but it seems like it may have been an effort in futility as nothing is even packed up yet, my mother is babysitting, and nobody else is available to help. This whole move is a pretty daunting task as we should have started moving a lot of the non-essentials at least a week ago because she's accumulated a lot of extra stuff over the last year... I find it very unlikely that we'll even get it finished by the end of the weekend. One good thing, hard as it is to admit, is that my brother is in town because he moved to SC and they left before things got bad there. Typically I would not like him being in town but at least that means he can help.

All that to say, it doesn't look like I'll be able to leave town this weekend. It annoys the hell out of me that we all let this go for so long, I was waiting for word that they were starting but I could just as well have initiated it. If things change I'll let you know, but best case scenario I'll get out this afternoon because nobody else is moving stuff or maybe Sunday afternoon if we actually get most of the stuff moved tomorrow.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

17 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I'll let you know, but best case scenario I'll get out this afternoon because nobody else is moving stuff or maybe Sunday afternoon if we actually get most of the stuff moved tomorrow.

Let's plan on next weekend for Yankee Trace. That may give our new Daytonian a chance to join us or anyone else for that matter. Maybe I'll see if Rak or Steve want to go.

I'll probably play Kittyhawk Sunday. PM or call me if you want to go.

Ok. If anyone's interested, I'm planning to play Yankee Trace this weekend. Could probably do it either day, but I'm thinking Sunday. 

If anyone here is interested, let me know. I'll open it up to my boys tomorrow.

28 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Ok. If anyone's interested, I'm planning to play Yankee Trace this weekend. Could probably do it either day, but I'm thinking Sunday. 

I think should work well for me. As long as my back holds up since we are still moving stuff for my mother.

**Edit** Just looking at weather, right now Saturday looks better for golf. Though we all know that that's subject to change quickly.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

40 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Can't make it. :-P

- Shane

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

So we're looking at a 50% shot at showers for Sunday afternoon, but if anyone wants to give a try, we've got one spot left. Tee time is 1:15.

I just read that there there might be frost tonight. :-P

- Shane

15 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

So we're looking at a 50% shot at showers for Sunday afternoon, but if anyone wants to give a try, we've got one spot left. Tee time is 1:15.

Down to 10% on the website I usually check. Still going to be windy.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

4 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Down to 10% on the website I usually check. Still going to be windy.

We'll be down here one way or the other and hope for the best. WHIO told me that what showers there are should be north of I-70. ... If you are having second thoughts about not going Sunday, it shouldn't be a problem to add you. Otherwise, we could do Shelby Oaks tomorrow. 

So, the other night I was rolling off the range when I found out that the Kittyhawk Mens Association fall meeting was about to start. I hung around and ate free pizza. Here's a few tidbits:

- Sounds like people are following @CarlSpackler's lead out of Dodge. Can't remember the exact numbers but membership is down roughly 20 to 110 or so members.

- What members there are left are not playing in as many events. September's participation numbers were really low and there was talk of cutting tournaments for next year.

- Club pro Jana Dalton bravely engaged in an extremely redundant conversation about course conditions. She protected her superintendent and placed most of the blame on ancient, failing machines and lack of funding from the City. High turnover of low-paid maintenance workers is another problem. She also pointed to debt service on Community as part of the problem and that doesn't figure to get dealt with until 2018. None the less, she said the sand-less bunkers and clover would get sorted by next year. "Things will get better." We'll see.

- Speaking of Community, Dalton is serving a temporary role there while they look for a new club pro following the Walther scandal. Dalton herself didn't say it, but it was suggested the root of the problem was 19 missing golf carts.

35 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

So, the other night I was rolling off the range when I found out that the Kittyhawk Mens Association fall meeting was about to start. I hung around and ate free pizza. Here's a few tidbits:

- Sounds like people are following @CarlSpackler's lead out of Dodge. Can't remember the exact numbers but membership is down roughly 20 to 110 or so members.

- What members there are left are not playing in as many events. September's participation numbers were really low and there was talk of cutting tournaments for next year.

- Club pro Jana Dalton bravely engaged in an extremely redundant conversation about course conditions. She protected her superintendent and placed most of the blame on ancient, failing machines and lack of funding from the City. High turnover of low-paid maintenance workers is another problem. She also pointed to debt service on Community as part of the problem and that doesn't figure to get dealt with until 2018. None the less, she said the sand-less bunkers and clover would get sorted by next year. "Things will get better." We'll see.

- Speaking of Community, Dalton is serving a temporary role there while they look for a new club pro following the Walther scandal. Dalton herself didn't say it, but it was suggested the root of the problem was 19 missing golf carts.

Been hearing that tune for years. If I had a dollar for every time she told me that the bunkers would be fixed, I could buy y'all a nice lunch. When Shapiro first came to Kittyhawk from Moss Creek, he had the courses in very nice shape. Then the city workers filed a grievance because he was painting tee box markers. He learned that hard work will not go unpunished and things have been average since.

I still get "IT Manager" job openings in my email every day, and it is rare that there is an actual IT management position open. Mostly it's restaurant managers and "work at home and get rich" positions. Town has been in the downward spiral since McLin beat Turner years ago. Tax breaks have disappeared and businesses keep moving out. I'm sure that many would debate me on that.

Things are booming down here in Florida though. Everyone is talking about how "cold" it will get this weekend with highs only in the 70s. Makes me chuckle. 

- Shane

3 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Town has been in the downward spiral since McLin beat Turner years ago. Tax breaks have disappeared and businesses keep moving out. I'm sure that many would debate me on that.

Nobody that knows anything about Dayton would argue it.

Between income tax, sales tax and property taxes there is no good reason to do anything in the city. There's still a bunch of locations in the I-70 and I-75 area that falls outside the city, avoids significant taxes and still has great access to the highways (and the airport).

... As far as the golf goes. I could probably pay the same amount for a similar sort of membership to Miami Shores. The conditions are better, but its one course and not six and I don't know anyone in Troy who plays golf. It isn't likely that I'm going anywhere.

38 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Nobody that knows anything about Dayton would argue it.

Between income tax, sales tax and property taxes there is no good reason to do anything in the city. There's still a bunch of locations in the I-70 and I-75 area that falls outside the city, avoids significant taxes and still has great access to the highways (and the airport).

... As far as the golf goes. I could probably pay the same amount for a similar sort of membership to Miami Shores. The conditions are better, but its one course and not six and I don't know anyone in Troy who plays golf. It isn't likely that I'm going anywhere.

I think that many would based on their political leanings. The world could be falling apart and they will stand by their party and candidates. I will just leave it at that.

The course conditions at Dayton city courses are what you get out of government controlled program. The membership there is nice because it gives you access to so many courses, but that's about it.

- Shane

Note: This thread is 1704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!