IGNORED

Best wedge out there?

Note: This thread is 6377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking to get a set of wedges (48, 56, and 60 degrees) to go along with my iron set (a set of macgregor 1025M Blades 2-9) . What you think are the best wedges out there in terms of feel and maximum playability? Forgiveness is not an issue. Thanks!
THE SET

Driver - FT-5 Tour 9.5* w/ Matrix Studio 84g X Flex
3 Wood - X-Tour 15* w/ Matrix Studio 94g X Flex
5 Wood - X 18* w/ Matrix Studio 94g X Flex(3-9) - Forged MB TT Dynamic Gold X100 D4 weighted standard length and liePW - X-Tour Vintage 50* same shaft as aboveSW - X-Tour Vintage 55*...

Ummm... Don't mean to be rude or anything but hadicap 0.8 should know what fits you best for short games no? Also no best wedges out there since it's up to the users' personal preference and I can be quite sure that majority of the people are going to say Vokey or Cleveland...

But my personal preference is Titleist Vokey Spin milled but they don't have anything below 54*... Mizuno wedges are very nice too.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I know my specs and all....but doesn't mean I can't go out there and try new things to see if i can get better feel to pick up a new shot or two around the green. It's what it's all about isn't it?

been playing cleveland wedges forever...gonna see if titleist vokey has some merit. Thanks for the input!
THE SET

5 Wood - X 18* w/ Matrix Studio 94g X Flex(3-9) - Forged MB TT Dynamic Gold X100 D4 weighted standard length and liePW - X-Tour Vintage 50* same shaft as aboveSW - X-Tour Vintage 55*...

I know my specs and all....but doesn't mean I can't go out there and try new things to see if i can get better feel to pick up a new shot or two around the green. It's what it's all about isn't it?

Of course. No harm asking around.

I heard Cleveland wedges are good. Tried my friend's CG10 and felt great too. Which ones are you using? Try the Vokey Spin Milled. They really bite. Mizuono wedges were really good too. In terms of feel I think Mizuno was better than Vokey but still using the Vokey SM. But according to my golf buddies most say they prefer Cleveland... Don't know if they are just following the general mass or they really are outstanding... I honestly couldn't tell much difference...
Driver

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

Yeah wedges can be personal preference but try either the Cleveland CG10 or Titleist Vokey Spin Milled. You won't be disappointed with whichever one you choose.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

If you're demoing clubs... the TaylorMade rac TP wedges are certainly worth considering, though they only go down to 52*. I've been playing the 60* LW for a bit, and love the feel and trajectory. Very solid with tons of spin and they look great. I've heard better players complain of *too much* spin, but that's not a problem I've had to contend with. There's a 56* on the way this week :)
Cleveland - HiBore XL (9.5* Fuji Fit-On Gold Stiff)
Bobby Jones/Jesse Ortiz - 3W & 21* H3 (Stock Stiff)
Ben Hogan - Apex FTX 4-FW (Apex 4 shafts)
TaylorMade - rac TP 56.12 satin & 60.6 black
Scotty Cameron - Mil-Spec Newport 2 (33" standard)

Oh... I tried the Nakashima wedges too... They are not really known in the market I guess but they really felt good too...
Driver

Woods

oh wow great thanks! I've been using the 588 clevelands for ages....i've seen so many new wedges being made by cleveland...was always curious to try them. guess now i'll try the CG10....tried the titleist just now...the vokey design and the vokey spin milled...both great....the spin milled was wicked! If CG10 doesn't perform better.....then it's time to make a change to spin milled!
THE SET

oh wow great thanks! I've been using the 588 clevelands for ages....i've seen so many new wedges being made by cleveland...was always curious to try them. guess now i'll try the CG10....tried the titleist just now...the vokey design and the vokey spin milled...both great....the spin milled was wicked! If CG10 doesn't perform better.....then it's time to make a change to spin milled!

Well I'll be rooting for the CG10!!

Seriously though I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

+1 on cleveland wedges.

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

just to throw in one more, the callaway xtour forged. the lob wedge with the pm grind puts more spin on the ball than i can describe. great feel too, not forgiving, but a player of your caliber should have no problem with it. the spin milled are my favorite though, i love the spin and they feel nice and heavy in the head.

Driver: r7 460 TP 10.5 w/Ozik Altus SX
3 Wood: Tour Proto 14.5 w/Ozik Xcon7 SX
Hybrid: Tour Proto. A2TS 19 w/ Matrix Ozik Altus HB SX
Irons: R7tp w/project x 6.0
Wedges: spin milled 56 w/ Proj. x 5.5 XTour60putter: Monza CorzaBall: Pro V1/ whatevers in my bag.

quick update: went out today to play a course in brooklyn, about 6900 yards and ULTRA windy...makes it play like 8000 yards. shot 76 and can't be happier with the spin milled wedges! the place plays almost like a links course and the fat bounce was maybe the only thing i can complain about. i wasn't able to hit a flop shot (not that i can on those tight hard pan lies anyway). seems like i'm seeing a lot of hits for the CG10...i'll try those...i've been with cleveland forever....and the bounce issue is something worth looking at. The spin the spin milled wedges puts on the ball is just sick!
THE SET

Hard to beat Vokeys

907D2 9.5 degree with Aldila VS Proto 65
906F2 15 degree with Aldila NVS 75
585.H 17 degree with Aldila NVS 85
2-PW 690MB
Vokey 254.10 Prototype Vokey 260.04 Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

Yeah wedges can be personal preference but try either the Cleveland CG10 or Titleist Vokey Spin Milled. You won't be disappointed with whichever one you choose.

I just moved from CG10s to Vokeys. I loved the feel of the CG10s around the green, but didn't have any luck with them on full swings. I'm much happier with the Vokeys.

In my bag
Driver: Burner 460 9.5°
Fairway: V-Steel 15°
Utility: Rescue Dual 16°, 22°
Irons: 755 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey 50°, SM 56°, SM 64°Putter: Newport 2 Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1

Has anybody tried Reid Lockhart wedges...either in the dual bounce or quad bounce? No, they're not the typical big name out there but they are dynamite wedges. Choosing a wedge has a lot to do with whether you're upright or flat in your swing and whether you're naturally a digger or skimmer of the ball along with diffferent turf conditions. Getting the right bounce to fit that is PARAMOUNT. Another question you have to ask yourself is, what amount of face progression do you tend to get the best results. The manufacturers name on a wedge has nothing to do with how good it is or isn't. It has to do with bounce, grinds, face progression, shape, sole width, weight... and matching it up to your strengths, weaknesses, and tendencies.

http://www.reidlockhart.com/

I have played Cleveland and Vokey's for years. I recently got my hands on a Pelz sandwedge and just fell in love with it. Sadly, I had to give it back to the friend that owned it. I was so impressed with it I dropped $550 on Pelz's set of 4 that he sells on his website. They were a lil too upright for me...the years and extra pounds have me in 1.5degree flat irons...but that adjustment was easy and quick at the local club fitter. Having played these wedges for several months now...I dont have any interest in looking at other makes. Though I have kept my MP-60 PW in the bag over the Pelz PW.

If you can get your hands on a Pelz wedge to try...certainly give it a whirl.
Driver: 907D2 9.5*- Aldila VS Proto 65 - Stiff
4 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics 16* - Aldila VS Proto 65 - Stiff
Hybrids: CLK FLI-HI 20* and 23* - Stiff
Irons: MP-60 4 - PW - Project X Flighted 6.0
Wedges: 56* and 60* Spin Milled OilCan - Spinner Wedge ShaftsPutter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5Ball:.....

You can't go wrong looking at the Infinity IP-3 Pro Custom wedges at Solid Rock Golf.com. Price starts at just $55 for a custom built club, then can go up depending on how you choose to shaft and grip it. I got the 56° with the TT Dynamic Gold ultra lite with what he calls a "spinner cut" to even make it easier to spin the ball. Comes with a milled face and feels wonderful. He also spines the shaft at no extra cost. Unfortunately, it's only available in right hand.

It's worth a look anyway...

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks like I'm the minority here but I love my Taylormade RAC Tour Pref 54 and 60. I was always a Nike fan but got the RAC 60 for my bday last year and fell in love!! I just added the 54 now and couldn't be happier. Give em a shot at least.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

Note: This thread is 6377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!