IGNORED

Can't Break 100?

Domenic
Note: This thread is 4620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm newly 13 and have been playing since summer of fourth grade, i'm now in seventh. I can't break 100. What the Hell?!?!?!? I've taken lessons, and know the golf swing well, but just put it together. I've shoten under 50 for 9, but not for 18. Granted, I haven't played 18 that much, but still. Most of the time i'm not even close. Golf is my passion and my life, and I spend every living breathing moment dreaming and thinking about it. Hmmmmm.....

Anything you guys have to say on the topic is helpful. (advice, tips, encouragement, whatevs)

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

It took me a long time to break 100 as well. But once I did that was it. You'll come down in steps. Soon you'll start shooting 95's all the time, then take another step forward and be shooting 90's all the time.

You might get stuck on an 18hc for a while, but every now and then you'll crack another level.

Patience, it'll happen.

You're only 13 so nothing to really worry about yet.

Just practice alot more often rather than knocking out rounds of golf trying to break 100 because you can devolep bad habits. Work on your fundementals at the range or with the pro and practice your short game alot,and never underestimate bunker play, and you'll drop alot of shots off your handicap.

I got in a rut when I started i was obsessed about breaking 100 and when I did I just kept playing rather than practicing and got into bad habits so my advice would be just keep working on your game then put it to the test in a round and see how many shots you can shave off. and make sure you play 18 holes. If you're not used to coming up the last few holes it can have a bad effect on your card.

Patience, perseverance and integrity...it's what the game is about. You're 13 and headed in the right direction, so keep your head up and just keep working. IT WILL HAPPEN eventually, but until then, try not to obsess over your score. At this point, I believe your goal should be to play the course to your absolute best ability. When you leave the course, your goal should be to know that you played the course as well as you currently can, not what the number on the scorecard is. I think when you begin to just go out and play the course within your current physical limits, you'll find that your scores will begin dropping. Good luck and keep dreaming...I wish I was as passionate about the game at 13 as you seem to be. You're on the right path...stay the course, stay patient and stay determined.

The War Sticks:

Driver: Adams Speedline F11 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff flex shaft

3Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15*

Hybrid: Ping G10 22* 

Irons:Mizuno MP32's 3-PW (bought used for $189)

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52*, 56*

Putter: An old Ram Laser...lol...but it works

Ball: Srixon Q-star

Most 5.3 markers can break 100 very comfortably. You might want to fix yor profile up

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Track your stats and work on what you do NOT do well. Track fairways hit, greens in regulation, up and downs (I use from inside 20 yards), sand saves, penalty strokes and putts. You are likely to learn that your short game could be much better (because players with great short games always break 100). Learn to chip and putt well and you'll always be able to break 100. But the stats will tell you where you need work to get even lower.

To help with a stats tracking, I use http://www.golfdigestchallenge.com/user_sessions/new .  It is free.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Shorty's got a point, unless you are posting on your dad or big brother's profile. If you want people to take you seriously, don't lie about how well you can or can't play.

Quote:

Most 5.3 markers can break 100 very comfortably.

You might want to fix yor profile up

The War Sticks:

Driver: Adams Speedline F11 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff flex shaft

3Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15*

Hybrid: Ping G10 22* 

Irons:Mizuno MP32's 3-PW (bought used for $189)

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52*, 56*

Putter: An old Ram Laser...lol...but it works

Ball: Srixon Q-star

Geez, give the kid a break.  He isn't 'lying'.  He said he can't break 100.  I think we all know that isn't a 5.3.

To the young man - Just keep playing and enjoy it.  Golf is a game of patience, practice, and repetition.  Like others have said, you'll get there.  You don't realize it now, but you're just lucky to have the opportunity to play and get lessons at your age.

Also, if you need help with handicap, there is a lot of information on here about that too.  Don't worry about it, I've been golfing for 25 years and never fully understood, or had, a handicap untill this year.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Up your fat, lardy ass Shorty

What sort of a comment is that? You've listed your handicap as 5.3. You say you are13, love the game and can't break 100. It is suggested that you fix the Hc up. You make an abusive reponse. Charming, especially coming from one so young. Your manners need more work than your golf, and if that is how you choose to represent yourself, if ever you do break 100, there'll be noone there to see it, because you'll be playing your golf on your own.

Originally Posted by Shorty

What sort of a comment is that?

You've listed your handicap as 5.3.

You say you are13, love the game and can't break 100.

It is suggested that you fix the Hc up.

You make an abusive reponse.

Charming, especially coming from one so young.

Your manners need more work than your golf, and if that is how you choose to represent yourself, if ever you do break 100, there'll be noone there to see it, because you'll be playing your golf on your own.

Shorty.....on the cool, the young lad gave you a dose of your own medicine.  Dominic, my advice to you would be look at your practice habits.  I know when I started playing, all I wanted to do was play, but once I started focusing on putting in some good range work, the scores began to drop.

Originally Posted by ElWagonne

Shorty.....on the cool, the young lad gave you a dose of your own medicine.

Begging you pardon, ElW, I merely suggested he fix up his profile.

This young fellow has made 17 posts and in another thread he's using capitals all over the place and calling another member BADASS and FAKE.

He's got a serious "attitude problem" and clearly doesn't see the difference between texting his friends and conversing with adults.

In none of my posts have I made a one line, abusive comment. Whenever I make comments which are critical, I address the issue and explain where I am coming from.

I am also always willing to discuss the issues. There is a bit of adifference between that and saying  "Up your fat, lardy ass" to someone who points out that they have claimed a 5.3 handicap when wondering why they can't break 100.

This young fellow has made 17 posts and in another thread he's using capitals all over the place and calling another member BADASS and FAKE. Hopefully the irony of this won't be lost on him.

He's got a serious "attitude problem" and clearly doesn't see the difference between texting his friends and conversing with adults.

In none of my posts have I made a one line, abusive comment. Whenever I make comments which are critical, I address the issue and explain where I am coming from.

I am also always willing to discuss the issues. There is a bit of a difference between that and saying  "Up your fat, lardy ass" to someone who points out that they have claimed a 5.3 handicap when wondering why they can't break 100.

This young fellow has made 17 posts and in another thread he's using capitals all over the place and calling another member BADASS and FAKE.

I am also always willing to discuss the issues. There is a bit of adifference between that and saying  "Up your fat, lardy ass" to someone who points out that they have claimed a 5.3 handicap when wondering why they can't break 100.

Ok Shorty.....in an effort to avoid a tit for tat

1) young lad should've come across a bit more respectfully, but

2) sometimes your posts do come across as caustic

3) just changing his profile up did not address the question.

Did not mean to offend you, but that's just my point of view

If more posters had the candor of this lad, there would be many, many, many more responses like his around here...

Originally Posted by ElWagonne

Did not mean to offend you, but that's just my point of view

No worries.

This is my point - if he hadn't made this post, and identified his actual level of ability (which, by the way is fine for a 13 year old) people may read his other comments and relate those to his "handicap" and not be in a position to realise how much knowledge or authority he has when, say, making comments about golf balls and calling himself (at 13) a "low spin" palyer.

The handicap index is not an arbirtary figure and although some people can read too much into them, especially in a country where the majority of players manage their own, it's not unreasonable to see it as a reflection of personal integrity. My issue with Domenic is his wannabe gangsta attitude, which is not gping to endear him to the membership

My caustic comments are usually reserved for

A) people who insists on trotting out nonsense about the "feel" of forged clubs

B) Christians who believe that the presence of an imaginary person helps them win golf tournaments

C) People who believe that Scotty Cameron is an innovative designer rather than a brilliant marketer

D) People who insist that they can hit it 290 consistently and usually straight, but can't break 100 because they can't putt.

E) People who think that rusty wedges add spin

F) And-most recently, mild mannered emotional type golfers with the initials SS who kill animals with bows and arrows for fun

And.......I usually only get caustic when they persist, even though ten posters before me have made the same points.

Not titting or tatting, just clarifying.

Now to answer his question.

At 13, your aim isn't to break 100, it's to hit every shot as well as you can.  The scores will take care of themselves.

• Upvote 1

Domenic,

Not cool. A super overreaction. "Thank you" would have been a better reply. You owe someone an apology.

Adding to my advise for breaking 100: this is not football. I played football in high school and gave up golf because I did not have the temperament for golf. Manners are expected on the golf course. If a flare-up on a golf forum aimed at someone pointing out an error on your profile is an indicator, I'd suggest you add "temper outbursts" and "inappropriate behavior" to the list of stats you track. Get those down to zero per round.

Originally Posted by Domenic

Up your fat, lardy ass Shorty

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

There is also a better way for adults to handle 13 year olds...

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!