Jump to content
IGNORED

iPhone 4S? iPhone 5? Pre-Announcement Discussion


MiniBlueDragon
 Share

Note: This thread is 3629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts



Originally Posted by lsu70510

I would recommend waiting for the iPhone 5 (a few weeks) and purchase the Tiger Woods My Swing app.  I love this app!  It has helped my swing A LOT.  I use it with the iPhone 4 and I do wish the FPS were a bit higher.


I like the TW: My Swing app for ease of applying the correct lines to check your swing and for seeing Tiger's "ideal" swing (under Sean Foley at least!) but the main thing I like is that money from the sale of it goes to charity.

For me currently the GASP Systems analysis app is still top dog; especially as I can transfer video to iPad 2 to analyse on a larger screen. Before GASP I was using SwingReader with a lot of success also.

Your comment on iPhone 5 seems to suggest that it will be a better option than the iPhone 4 but as far as I'm aware there's been nothing concrete announced as yet, only that there is a planned conference for the announcement of "an" iPhone which could be the scaled-down iPhone 4 (4G?) or the 5 or anything else.

Worth holding off for the announcement however firstly to see what the new offering will be and whether it will be a better option than the 4 but if not then the 4 will likely go down in price if it is no longer the flagship iPhone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Administrator

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Your comment on iPhone 5 seems to suggest that it will be a better option than the iPhone 4 but as far as I'm aware there's been nothing concrete announced as yet, only that there is a planned conference for the announcement of "an" iPhone which could be the scaled-down iPhone 4 (4G?) or the 5 or anything else.

The rumored name is the "4S" and Apple never "scales down" without also offering a "scaled up" (features, I mean, not size) version too. Apple basically tries to continually improve the hardware while keeping the price(s) the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by iacas

The rumored name is the "4S" and Apple never "scales down" without also offering a "scaled up" (features, I mean, not size) version too. Apple basically tries to continually improve the hardware while keeping the price(s) the same.


They do but they also don't want another screw-up like the whole iOS4 issue and the iPhone 4 signal problem as it heavily dented their reputation for quality. If it means they need to postpone a product's release they'd rather do that nowadays than release a sub-par product just to stick to their yearly release schedule. An iPhone 4S will be a much easier product than a whole new product so my money's on a 4S for sure, probably with more memory, the iPad 2's processor etc but an iPhone 5 is a complete unknown at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Administrator

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

They do but they also don't want another screw-up like the whole iOS4 issue and the iPhone 4 signal problem as it heavily dented their reputation for quality.

a) What iOS4 issue?

b) the "signal problem" was vastly blown out of proportion. EVERY phone has signal attenuation if you grip it a certain way. Every phone. Just yesterday, from Daring Fireball:

Link is to: Android From the Perspective of a Former iPhone User .

Screen Shot 2011-10-04 at 11.05.26 am.PNG

Also, Apple's sold more and more and more iPhones, so I'm not sure how it "dented" the reputation.

But then again, you work for RIM or something, right?


Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

If it means they need to postpone a product's release they'd rather do that nowadays than release a sub-par product just to stick to their yearly release schedule.

This is delayed. It's not June.

Anyway, I don't think we're on topic. Phone cameras will never be great because they don't need to have more than 30 FPS. Maybe 60 some day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

But then again, you work for RIM or something, right?

Pretty sure that was[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/user/carlspackler] this dude.[/URL]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

a) Various problems people experienced while upgrading, including phones getting stuck in 'back up' mode for ages. Extremely slow OS compared to 3.6 which was out directly before it, especially for those using a 3G rather than 4. Immense battery drain for 3G users etc. I mean there were even customers suing Apple over the fact that the "upgrade" crippled people's deviced and ther was no way to roll back to an older iOS.
b) I never had signal issues on my iPhone 3G or my iPhone 3GS, only on my 4. Many other people also had issues else it wouldn't have been so heavily reported in the media and Apple wouldn't have gone through a costly process of manufacturing and giving away free "bumpers" to customers. It may well be a problem with other devices too but then we;re not talking about those now are we?
Excuse my French but your RIM comment is pretty f***ing presumptuous iacas. I've owned a 3G, upgraded to a 3GS, upgraded to a 4 and am waiting on the 5 to upgrade to. I also own an iPad 2 so I'd say it's a fair certainty I like Apple products wouldn't you? I hate hate HATE Blackberry so I really have no idea what you were getting at with your comment? I test risk analysis and project portfolio management software; nothing at ALL to do with mobile stuff.
I agree however, these replies since your comment about Apple are not directly related to using an iPhone app to video and analyse a swing.
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Administrator
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

b) I never had signal issues on my iPhone 3G or my iPhone 3GS, only on my 4. Many other people also had issues else it wouldn't have been so heavily reported in the media and Apple wouldn't have gone through a costly process of manufacturing and giving away free "bumpers" to customers. It may well be a problem with other devices too but then we;re not talking about those now are we?

The OS upgrade and the signal loss thing were tempests in teapots. They didn't affect Apple much because they barely affected anyone. Only the tech crowd cared, and the tech crowd is always looking to knock the #1 player. For years that was Microsoft, and the tech crowd was always eager to knock them. Anything they did got play - good or bad. In smart phones, Apple now gets that "privilege." For good and bad.

I have a 3GS. I can attenuate the signal if I grip it a certain way. It affects all smartphones. All phones, in fact. Though gripping a phone with an actual external antenna in a way that covers the antenna would be weird...

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Excuse my French but your RIM comment is pretty f***ing presumptuous iacas. I've owned a 3G, upgraded to a 3GS, upgraded to a 4 and am waiting on the 5 to upgrade to. I also own an iPad 2 so I'd say it's a fair certainty I like Apple products wouldn't you? I hate hate HATE Blackberry so I really have no idea what you were getting at with your comment? I test risk analysis and project portfolio management software; nothing at ALL to do with mobile stuff.

I'm not sure why that got you so riled up. Besides, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it was Kieran who works for RIM.

I'm so glad we could get back on topic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by iacas

Though gripping a phone with an actual external antenna in a way that covers the antenna would be weird...


/agree

Originally Posted by iacas

I'm not sure why that got you so riled up.


Partly because you jumped down my throat for having an opinion on what I myself have experienced with Apple and basically suggested I was lying because your opinion is different, partly because the RIM comment came across as a snidey remark and partly because I hate (did I mention I HATE?) Blackberry.

Originally Posted by iacas

I'm so glad we could get back on topic.


/agree

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Administrator

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Partly because you jumped down my throat for having an opinion on what I myself have experienced with Apple and basically suggested I was lying because your opinion is different, partly because the RIM comment came across as a snidey remark and partly because I hate (did I mention I HATE?) Blackberry.


I really think you over-reacted. You could have just said "nope, I don't work for RIM" or "nope, I don't like Blackberry" and that would have been sufficient. I rarely ask questions like that if I know the answer.

I'm sorry you took it the way you did. It wasn't intended that way.

BTW, I have a 3GS and my wife has a 3G. Both can attenuate signal and my wife's iPhone was better off with iOS 4 after a few releases. Last I knew Apple had acknowledged the problem and fixed it. The upgrade made her phone slower at first, but nobody was forced to upgrade, either - the OS update didn't add much to 3G owners anyway. Anyway, tempest in a teapot.

The announcement is an hour or so away. I still think we'll see a 4 or 4S (small changes if any) and a 5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

iPhone 5 is supposed to be faster, have slightly larger screen and higher res camera.  If I get an early upgrade option to move from the iPhone 4 to 5 I will.  Anyone with 3Gs or higher will be able to upgrade to IOS 5.0 so no one should really get left behind at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Apparently they are going to keep selling the 3GS and make it free with a contract. If that happens, there's a decent chance that I upgrade from the phone I currently have.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Free 3Gs would be a smart move for Apple to compete with the other smart phone manufacturers for even more marketshare.  Most people want an iPhone but don't want to spend the $100 - $300 to get one, this move will put them on an even playing field with Droid and others.

Originally Posted by jamo

Apparently they are going to keep selling the 3GS and make it free with a contract. If that happens, there's a decent chance that I upgrade from the phone I currently have.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am looking forward to seeing ios5 more than the actual phones.

Apple's phone hardware has always been pretty solid ( minus the home buttons ) but the OS has been lackluster compared to Android ( and now even Mango ) UNLESS jailbroken.

ios5 looks seriously good though

I don't know if an iPhone 5 is on the cards at all today. I think just an iphone 4s.

I recently dumped my 3GS ( too slow ) and got a Galaxy S....I have gripped it every way possible - no signal issues unless I cover it with both hands

I probably would of got an iphone 4, but I needed a new phone halfway through my contract.

To get the Galaxy S was $170, to get the iphone 4 was $340 .

Hopefully they do a major price drop on the iphone 4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


IMO RIM was been on life support only because of their free phones and the lack of an iPhone on Sprint.  With Apples plan to offer the 3Gs for free and provide support of the Sprint network with the new iPhones I think it will only be a matter of time before they fail.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

LOL

I wonder how long RIM will last? Company has serious financial issues.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Apple's phone hardware has always been pretty solid ( minus the home buttons ) but the OS has been lackluster compared to Android ( and now even Mango ) UNLESS jailbroken.

I disagree. :-)

Anyway, it's ON now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...