IGNORED

My Swing (chrismyates)

chrismyates
Note: This thread is 4575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is some of the shittest advice I have ever seen on a golf forum. threejack has been playing for 4 months and is a pro. If you want to hit it no where and slice it, listen to all of these tips.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

This is some of the shittest advice I have ever seen on a golf forum. threejack has been playing for 4 months and is a pro. If you want to hit it no where and slice it, listen to all of these tips.

+1.

The X-factor is a total joke. I thought everyone knew that. Guess not.

But what's scarier is I heard Brandel Chamblee talk about how great the X-factor was yesterday during the McGladrey broadcast when Bud Cauley was on the slow-motion camera. Sad.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's just laughable.

52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Yea, I recommend to threejack to read more and to post less answers. Questions are fine obviously and encouraged. But answers? Give it a rest for the time being.

Constantine

• Administrator

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Yea, I recommend to threejack to read more and to post less answers. Questions are fine obviously and encouraged. But answers? Give it a rest for the time being.

I'd like to modify that slightly. Helping others is the "end point" of knowledge. That's not to say you stop learning when you begin helping, just that you have to reach a certain point before I think you can truly help others.

If "understanding the golf swing" is a journey, you must first realize that you need to take the trip. Then you start to learn some basics: can you walk or do you need a car? What general direction do you need to travel?

Then you can get to the point where you begin learning about the swing itself. Finer and finer details. Eventually you can begin regurgitating some of these and seeing if you can summarize them properly. Then you start to put them into your own words, and weed out the bad stuff from the good.

If threejack is at that stage, great. He should not only ask questions (earlier stages), but he should make statements that can be debated or discussed. Maybe he's wrong - if he wants to continue and not permanently drive off through the corn fields, he should accept that he can be wrong.

So a small tweak: maybe he's beyond "ask questions only" to the point where he can "make statements for discussion" - but we agree he may not yet be at the "help others" point.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hey hey easy on the new guy please. I am sorry if I came off as "mr. know it all". I am here for one reason and that is to learn so I will do my best to observe and discuss and leave the answers to the real pros.

Regarding the slice, I found a nice video on here earlier that shows how the swing is a lot of the legs and hips (assuming that is correct). It makes sense to me because my irons have been great lately but my driver has been slicing because I've been swinging with my arms (which the video shows promotes mega out to in. Then he shows how a nice in to out swing is generated with the legs and hips. Let me see if I can find it because it was really a new way to look at it for me and I think it may be beneficial!

Mike Mayorga

Driver Nike Machspeed Black Round 9.5° Stiff

Irons Cobra SS Forged 3-PW

Putter Scotty Cameron Futura

GOT IT!

:) pretty great video if you as me!

a fellow member made it Chrisutpg, found it in this thread http://thesandtrap.com/t/45210/slice-driver

Mike Mayorga

The guy gives golf lessons, yet he posts swings of himself on youtube hitting slices and giving out dodgy information, while asking others what he should do. Talk about a con artist.

52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

god forbid i suggest a video that reinforces what everyone was telling me on my slice thread. everybody else has stopped with the negative comments and i already apologized so quit bashing. go watch the video yourself and come tell me you don't agree with it. i am not giving out information, I'm simply relaying it.

your preceding comment was literally 100% unnecessary and had absolutely no value or relativity to the original post. grow up.

Mike Mayorga

I was talking about the video. The 'pro' took a video of himself and critiqued it why the person was slicing and then I did some research and found out he gives lessons. If you want to learn I suggest you do as Iacas says and read what he and guys like mvmac post because these guys know what they are talking about. Do this without unknowingly leading other new golfers down the garden path as you have only been playing 4 months, you still have years and years of knowledge ahead of you. Lastly, don't tell me to grow up. I am your age. You were in the wrong here mate.

Originally Posted by threejack

god forbid i suggest a video that reinforces what everyone was telling me on my slice thread. everybody else has stopped with the negative comments and i already apologized so quit bashing. go watch the video yourself and come tell me you don't agree with it. i am not giving out information, I'm simply relaying it.

your preceding comment was literally 100% unnecessary and had absolutely no value or relativity to the original post. grow up.

52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

haha ya i was. that definitely seemed like it could have been directed at me so i apologize. i think were twins though, my name is michael james also no joke

Mike Mayorga

I also think getting more club head speed would help you. Your driver swing is smooth but not lot of club head speed. If you increase that club head speed it will help snap that club face square. tuck that right elbow toward your ribs on your downswing as well to promote the inside out path.

When I do anything more than try to swing smoothly, it magnifies my problem and causes a big slice every time.

Originally Posted by chspeed

I respectfully disagree. If anything, most amateurs turn their hips too little - trying to achieve the infamous, and essentially incorrect, "X" factor. Even McLean backed off his X factor a couple of years ago. Here's a good video on this:

I'm going to agree with the over rotating of the hips. My pro at my lesson yesterday caught me doing the same thing. Not only did I club up with every club, my accuracy improved a crap ton. I only rotate them to like 30 degrees now. Look at Tigers old swing, his hips HARDLY moved. The x-factor is not incorrect btw. In fact I have a little rule of thumb, if most pros do it, its probably not wrong!

I think getting too much hip turn is hurting me somewhat but I think it might be caused more by allowing my weight to get on the right side of my right leg allowing my right leg to buckle out. I've been working on turning more and keeping the weight on the inside of my right leg, and when I do it right, my hips don't turn as much naturally because my knee stays more or less where it's at. So, I think the hip turn issue might be more of a symptom rather than a cause, but that's just my guess.

Regarding the slice, I found a nice video on here earlier that shows how the swing is a lot of the legs and hips (assuming that is correct). It makes sense to me because my irons have been great lately but my driver has been slicing because I've been swinging with my arms (which the video shows promotes mega out to in. Then he shows how a nice in to out swing is generated with the legs and hips. Let me see if I can find it because it was really a new way to look at it for me and I think it may be beneficial!

While some of this may be relevant to me, my problem isn't an out-to-in swing path. If it were, I wouldn't be pushing the ball.

okay that makes sense. sorry for feeding you false information, thats why its a forum, so we can learn.

Mike Mayorga

Originally Posted by chspeed

You said you had a push-slice. You definitely can have an out-to-in swing path and hit a push slice. I do that quite a bit!

I guess it's technically possible according to this article http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws but highly unlikely that's what I'm doing when I hit a push slice. According to that article a push slice is caused by an open clubface and swinging in to out (assuming my body is lined up at the target).

• Administrator

Originally Posted by chrismyates

I guess it's technically possible according to this article http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws but highly unlikely that's what I'm doing when I hit a push slice. According to that article a push slice is caused by an open clubface and swinging in to out (assuming my body is lined up at the target).

You can hit a push slice several ways (all numbers relative to the target, and relative to your stance if you're lining up parallel left of the target line):

a) clubface 5 degrees right of target, path 5 degrees left of target (out to in)

b) clubface 5 degrees right of target, path square to target (square)

c) clubface 10 degrees right of target, path 5 degrees right of target (in to out)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 4575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!