IGNORED

My Swing (Beachcomber)

Beachcomber

Originally Posted by Shaggie13

First off great improvements, and I like the swing sequences.Β  Looks like you are really on the right path and almost there.

Looking at the swing sequences you posted, looks like at A3 and A4 comparing you to Rock and Waite, your right hip hasn't moved back and up as much?

Don't know if that is a key to help you create more space on the down swing and have your right leg move more towards the target and less towards the ball?

As Mike mentioned, not many have a right hip like Grant. Β But I'll also add that my shirt is untucked in the sequence photo. Β I typically tuck it in, but was wearing a new pair of Hurley shorts that I picked up a few weeks back and when I bought them, I didn't realize they don't have a belt loop. Β They are basically board/surf shorts - that look like a nice pair of shorts. Β I love them, but tucking a shirt in - with no belt looks silly. Β So I need to redo the swing sequence with a pair of pants/shorts with a belt and my shirt tucked in. Β Then I think you can get a better baseline for where my body is in correlation to the swing model used (Grant in shorts).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jdmccjm

Pretty good looking swing, Beachcomber. Β Couple thoughts:

(1) Your right elbow gets a little too far away from you at the top of your backswing. Β Try keeping that elbow a little closer (somewhat tucked) to your right side. Β This will shorten your backswing a little bit and lead to more consistent ball striking. Β Take a look at Jason Dufner's swing for help on this:Β http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l55LB8oABvQ

(2) Also pay attention to your balance and where your weight goes on the backswing. Β You get a little bit on your toes during the backswing, which makes it difficult to maintain your spine angle during the downswing. Β Note: your forehead should not go past (to the right from a down-the-line view) the line it sits on at address. Β Try to feel like you are sitting on a bar stool at the top of your backswing. Β This will help keep your butt out, and on the line established at address, during the downswing. Β Getting out on your toes a little bit is probably one of the reasons you hit some shots off the hosel and pull other shots.

(3) Finally, work on your sequence a little bit on the downswing. Β Specifically, make sure you shift your weight to your left foot at the top of your backswing BEFORE you fire your hips. Β This will also help you maintain your spine angle through impact and avoid sh**ks and pulls.

Point #1. Β Well taken! Β I'm working on it!

Point #2. Β Agreed. I'm hoping that once I get my address posture fixed... I think I need to get a little more 'squatty' (knee bend and waist bend) instead of upright - it will help me make these turns with my shoulders/arms/hips/torso with improved balance - which will eliminate the head from moving on and off the ball (and weight getting toward my toes). Β I'm closer than I was last fall... But not nearly as solid as I need it to be to eliminate my mis-hits from being so close to the heel. Β Thankfully my hosel rockets are nearly gone. Β Maybe one here or there every 5 to 10 rounds. Β But not once a round like in the past!!

Point #3. Downswing sequence will be a major focus once I get Point #1 addressed. Β I'm touching on it a little bit now... Because I'm trying to get the right elbow to fold - and unfold properly - and not get stuck on my side at A5/A6. Β That is that 'power slot' that I'm trying to create.

The trick I believe is focusing on what some folks call 'Pressure Point #5'... Which wasn't mentioned by The Golf Machine's (TGM) Homer Kelley... But basically maintaining pressure under your right armpit - by keeping that right elbow / tricep connected on the backswing (A3) to your right side. Β This is PP#5. Β I'm working on changing this in my swing right now. Β Grant said 4" to 6" of space for your right elbow is fine... But I'm thinking I need to go to the extreme - and try and feel like I'm not let my right elbow travel off my torso at all during the backswing - to get into a better power slot position on the downswing.

If you look at Tiger's sequence below (seriously his swing is beautiful under Foley's tutelage) that I made using a video off of Youtube... You can see how he is able to power that right elbow down and out from A4 to A4.5 all the way through impact at A7. Β That my friends is power . Β And if I can get my geometries and swing pattern closer to this with my right elbow - I'll be thrilled!!

You can see that right now my right elbow is to my side at A5. Β And I'm throwing away a lot of power by having to stand up - early extension - to get that right elbow through - to make impact with the golf ball.

• Upvote 1

Did someone mention your posture?Β  Just relax at the lower back some and let yourself get closer to the ground at address.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9Β° (Lowered to 8.5Β°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15Β° and 18Β° | 585H 21Β° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52Β° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56Β° and 60Β° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

My spine angle at address is too far upright. Β Plus my lower back has that 'S' which can be removed by being more hunched and by tucking my tail/ass in.

Nice!Β  The main reason I picked up on the right elbow issue is because I have had that same problem, and I think a lot of people do.Β  That being said, I think the position of the right elbow at the top of the backswing is a result of how you take the club away from the ball during the takeaway and into the backswing.Β  Like a lot of other players, I like to aim for a certain "feeling" when making a swing adjustment rather than focusing on the technicalities.Β  Feel allows me to remember a proper swing mechanic, while technical focuses amp up my brain a little too much, which causes me to lose my athleticism.

Okay, back to the point: one of the things that helped me rid this "flying right elbow" was to feel like there was a ceiling above me made out of something relatively soft...life cheese or something, and the goal was to keep my right elbow close while sticking the toe of my club into the ceiling behind my head.Β  Admittedly, this is a weird thought and quite possibly impossible to relay by way of typing.Β  However, if you do understand it and aim for that feeling, you'll see what I mean.Β  From a down-the-line view (and maybe from most other camera angles), it's often difficult to identify some problems with the way you're bringing the club back--that is, it may appear you are on plane, but you are on it for the wrong reasons; i.e., a backswing can be all talk, no walk.Β  Try the "cheese ceiling backswing" and let me know what you think.

Here is a swing sequence from yesterdays range session... I had my shirt tucked in so that I could see my hips better. Β This should be used as a baseline of what I have been working on/described in the previous post.

1.) Right elbow placement on the backswing needs to be tighter - so that I can hit the power slot on the downswing.

2.) Working on waist bend at address - looks a little better.

I couldn't get the perfect P6 position as the frames weren't matching up as my iPhone only records at 30fps... Sometimes it catches it right... Sometimes not. Β This particular swing didn't get it.

Comments from my side after dissecting the swing sequence compared to Grant...

1.)Β My clubface at A4 is still slightly closed, but I can work with that.

2.) How do I hit A6 body position??

3.) Looks like I need to turn my upper torso from A5 to A6 more - but I have no idea how to get my right shoulder low like that without lifting my left shoulder too quickly - and not move my head??

4.) Grant's back at A6 is very curved - nearly like he was at address.

5.) Grant's right foot is banking to his instep - my heel is lifting.

Need to work on the sequence from A4 to A6... I'm going to be working on that moving forward. Β I think other than my clubface being slightly shut (closed) at A4, the geometry is pretty damn close. Β Mechanics aren't perfect, but they are close. Β And I can always go back and clean that up once I really start nailing the sequence and pattern.

Here's the video if anyone is interested.

Also, here is the Grant Waite 6i swing sequence A1 to A7 if anyone wants it for reference...

In that last sequence posted, one thing I notice is that at A5 already and through A6, Grant looks like he's really driven off his back foot and has his hips well forward with good posture and is then really ready to twist the hips and uncoil and whatnot.

At A5 you already look like you've mostly given up driving the hips forward from the ground and are more spinning around to impact rather than driving forward through impact.

Of course, you do much better than I generally do with that even though it's been one of the things in the rotation of stuff I work on for a long time...

• Upvote 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by mdl

In that last sequence posted, one thing I notice is that at A5 already and through A6, Grant looks like he's really driven off his back foot and has his hips well forward with good posture and is then really ready to twist the hips and uncoil and whatnot.

At A5 you already look like you've mostly given up driving the hips forward from the ground and are more spinning around to impact rather than driving forward through impact.

Of course, you do much better than I generally do with that even though it's been one of the things in the rotation of stuff I work on for a long time...

I think you nailed it. Β I need to learn how to slide my hips - rather than twist/turn my hips. Β It is a loading issue at P4/P5. Β I'm not 100% sure the exact feels/execution to get a nice clean finish with the feet/legs/hips.

When I watch Mikes posterior video - I know I'm not doing that with my lower half. Β My right hip fires a lot harder (like I'm twisting around my center).

Ok - how do I do this hip slid or bump (see below swing Tiger just made on the range with his driver today) - without moving my head?

The red arrow is the part of the sequence that I'm missing in my swing.

Focused 100% only on legs and hips.... Right now, I can get the first three frames. Β To the third frame... Right leg straightens. Β Left knee moves slightly inward - toward my right knee. Β No problem. Β I've got that move.

But my breakdown is in the transition from P4 to P4xxx. Β Where the red arrow is... I need to return flex in my right knee... And let my hips slide laterally. Β As my right leg turns to being flexed - this should return my hips to a centered position... Similar to address. Β Then just bump my left hip and slide toward the target?

This sequence is tough for me to get / understand. Β It is subtle and right now - I have a very quick rotation of my right hip which is causing my right leg to breakdown and move in towards the ball.

I have watched this video a lot - but still can't get the transition where the red arrow is in the TW sequence.

The second frame - I'm not sure how I get from frame 1 to frame 2 - without moving my head. Β Even the model in Mario's video moves his head (down for sure). Β So this is my issue - trying to figure out how to do this sequence.

• Administrator

Look at what the left knee does in the frames you've highlighted and where it was in the frame before.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

The second frame - I'm not sure how I get from frame 1 to frame 2 - without moving my head. Β Even the model in Mario's video moves his head (down for sure). Β So this is my issue - trying to figure out how to do this sequence.

Exactly what Erik said, left knee flexes, applies pressure into the ground so you can do the extension/thrust pieces. Β It's ok for the head to go down, just not too much to and fro.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Originally Posted by mvmac

Exactly what Erik said, left knee flexes, applies pressure into the ground so you can do the extension/thrust pieces. Β It's ok for the head to go down, just not too much to and fro.

Is this the 'smash the bug' under the left foot move we did in the parking lot? Β Frame 2?

I really struggle with getting the "feel" for this too. Β I am capable of geting my hips forward and getting mad uncoiling power, but when I do that and swing naturally I hit open faced push-fade bombs. Β Working on extension or the "raise the hands" through impact thing Mike recommended to me helps, but not enough, and I end up alternating between very smooth feeling, bombed baby draws or straight slight pushes, horrible pulled snap hooks, and big push-fade/slices! I think that's because I end up being more rotational like you to try to control the club face and get it closed, but it's never quite "natural", so it ends up being inconsistent.

Maybe it's time to start my own swing thread. Β Haven't posted a swing vid here in a couple years...

Keep posting here BC! Β Very educational swing thread!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
Originally Posted by mdl

I really struggle with getting the "feel" for this too. Β I am capable of geting my hips forward and getting mad uncoiling power, but when I do that and swing naturally I hit open faced push-fade bombs. Β Working on extension or the "raise the hands" through impact thing Mike recommended to me helps, but not enough, and I end up alternating between very smooth feeling, bombed baby draws or straight slight pushes, horrible pulled snap hooks, and big push-fade/slices! I think that's because I end up being more rotational like you to try to control the club face and get it closed, but it's never quite "natural", so it ends up being inconsistent.

Maybe it's time to start my own swing thread. Β Haven't posted a swing vid here in a couple years...

Here it is:Β http://thesandtrap.com/t/40294/my-swing-mdl . :)

Feel isn't real and if I was making an educated guess your hips aren't really as far forward as you think, but more likely quite open, preventing the right elbow trajectory from getting slightly down and in front of the hip, and sending the path well left. Some players have the instinct to roll the face from here, others just leave it open.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Here it is:Β http://thesandtrap.com/t/40294/my-swing-mdl . :)

Feel isn't real and if I was making an educated guess your hips aren't really as far forward as you think, but more likely quite open, preventing the right elbow trajectory from getting slightly down and in front of the hip, and sending the path well left. Some players have the instinct to roll the face from here, others just leave it open.

Ha. Β No doubt. Β It was worded poorly above. Β Should have said something like, when I'm working on it I can get my hips further forward than when I'm not working on it, enough that I can at least feel a definite difference. Β Though honestly you're probably right that they're less further forward (relatively) than I'd like to think. Β Evidence that my hip is blocking is that one thing I've been working with recently in service of getting the "feel" of coming through in the slot is getting a good full turn, even letting the front knee come in to make that easier (while trying not to sway back with the hips at all), then going for the feeling that I'm hitting the ball behind me, rather than to my side, which at least feels like it has my hips more towards square (versus open) than otherwise.

Whatever, I won't hijack BC's thread. Β The talk about the "feel" of a good drive forward just really got me going. Β I'll take some video tonight or maybe this weekend and revive my own swing thread. Β Been many months since I've videoed myself so I should get back on that anyway.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Is this the 'smash the bug' under the left foot move we did in the parking lot? Β Frame 2?

Yep, this is the next piece and will start to clean up the leg work on the followthrough. Β Will see improvements in Keys 3-5. Β Not that you're "bad" with those Keys but when you're looking to consistently shoot in the mid-low 70's, certain pieces need to be more stable.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Ok... So I went to the range tonight... And worked on my hip/legs sequence. Β I'm really happy with the way the ball was soaring off the clubface. Β I was flushing it for the most part. Β But I know I'm not getting the proper positions yet - as they don't feel normal. Β Lots of stress on my left leg (foot) and lower back. Β Felt like I was a pretzel!!
6i DTL Full Golf Swing
Practice Session 08-02-12
Primary Focus:
- Ground Force Utilization Sequencing of Hip/Legs from A4 to A7.
- Banking Right Foot from A4.xx to A7
- Left Hip Bump/Slide from A4.xx to A7

I'll continue to work on this over the next several weeks and post updates along the way...