IGNORED

Best courses in Myrtle Beach?

cody west
Note: This thread is 4444 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Egwanibadger

I have been to the area over a dozen times in the past dozen years. You are getting a lot of good advice. I am a little partial to the South end of the strand. I have found great value staying in the True Blue condos. We have stayed there several times and always enjoy playing Caledonia, True Blue, Pawley's Plantation, TPC, and Heritage when staying in that area. If you want roomier condos stay at Pawley's Plantation. Should you choose to travel to Central MB or North MB don't miss Tidewater or The Dunes. I rank Myrtle Beach golf as follows:

1- Caledonia

2- The Dunes

3- Tidewater (if you catch it in great shape it could be #1)

4- Heritage (great course/great value)

5- TPC

6- Pawley's Plantation (holes 12-18 are as good as you'll find)

7- True Blue

Avoid Barefoot courses. I played these when they first opened years ago, and they were really good. Conditioning has really slipped over the years, and we don't go there anymore.

I agree with most of what you say. The Dunes, True Blue and Caledonia are my thee fvaorites at the Beach and Heritage is good value. However, I've never had a bad experience or bad conditioning at Barefoot. My group has played Barefoot in 2008, 2009 and 2011 (Dye, Fazio  2x and Love 2x) and the conditions have been perfect. Like every every other MB course the rough is dormant in winter.  No reason to stay away from Barefoot. Here are some photos so you can see the greens and fairways. I'm not syaing all 4 barefoot courses are always perfect. I know they had some problems with greens during the drought a couple years ago, but generally these courses are very well maintained. For current conditions on mamny MB courses by real players check out Myrtle Beach Golf Talk: http://www.myrtlebeachgolftalk.com/tabid/111/aff/3/Default.aspx

Barefoot Dye #5 view back to fairway - r.jpg

Barefoot Dye #5 March 2011

Barefoot Fazio #14 behind green looking back toward tee.JPG

Barefoot Fazio

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Myrtle Beach yesterday (Feb 25, 2012) and managed to squeeze in 4 round.  We played Man O War, Prestwick, Grande Dunes and World Tour.  Each of the courses were in great shape, but I think I would put Grande Dunes (resort) at the top.(even though it was cold and very windy the day we played.  Rates were very affordable, especially when you use the Passport.  Some of the other course we play at frequently when we are down are the  witch, wizard, cat courses at ocean plantation, glens group coures (except possum trot),  We are looking to play Legends (heathland), tidewater, and Pine Lakes when we return at the end of March.  As another posted already said,,,, this time of the year can be very tricky in Myrtle beach.  One day we practally played in a winter coat and another day we were in shorts.  All in all, you can't beat Myrtle beach for its great golf courses and overall fun atmosphere.

Originally Posted by shooter101

For 110 or less these 3 are my top favorites TPC Myrtle Beach, MBN Kings North, and Long Bay(very challenging course).  If you want a cheap round around $40 I would go to Man-O-War, last time I played here the course was in excelent condition and greens rolled perfect.  Its not very challenging but there are a couple of island greens that are tricky.  Hope this helps!

I live in Columbia SC and golf myrtle a few times a year. you'll definitely enjoy TPC Myrtle, but have you considered going a little farther south to Charleston? Kiawah Island would be soooo much more fun than Myrtle, but Myrtle is still fun. I just find that in MB theres a lot of snobby golfers who all think theyre Phil and you get a lot of people trying to play fast and hit balls on the green while youre putting, which i hate. Kiawah Island or even Wild Dunes in Mount Pleasant.

Ocean Course is pricy, but Affordable and well worth it., Host Course for 2012 PGA Championship.

Originally Posted by KiawahConnor

I live in Columbia SC and golf myrtle a few times a year. you'll definitely enjoy TPC Myrtle, but have you considered going a little farther south to Charleston? Kiawah Island would be soooo much more fun than Myrtle, but Myrtle is still fun. I just find that in MB theres a lot of snobby golfers who all think theyre Phil and you get a lot of people trying to play fast and hit balls on the green while youre putting, which i hate. Kiawah Island or even Wild Dunes in Mount Pleasant.

Ocean Course is pricy, but Affordable and well worth it., Host Course for 2012 PGA Championship.

Wow i don't think i could disagree with a post more. The beauty of Myrtle in my opinion is you can play quailty golf with little to no snobbery (is that a word). I have been to Kiawah and other then the Ocean course (worth the money) i found the island and the rest of the courses pretty much forgetable, i have not been to Wild Dunes. If you wanted to make an arguement for the Pinehurst /Sandhills region i think you could. It becomes a matter of what type of golf you prefer but they are both great as far as i am concerned.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Do most of the courses still make you take a cart?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

Wow i don't think i could disagree with a post more. The beauty of Myrtle in my opinion is you can play quailty golf with little to no snobbery (is that a word). I have been to Kiawah and other then the Ocean course (worth the money) i found the island and the rest of the courses pretty much forgetable, i have not been to Wild Dunes. If you wanted to make an arguement for the Pinehurst /Sandhills region i think you could. It becomes a matter of what type of golf you prefer but they are both great as far as i am concerned.

I respect your argument, I was just speaking from personal experience. I must've been unlucky but I had a terrible time in Myrtle. If you get a chance to go to Wild Dunes, it definitely wont be forgettable, but Pinehurst tops the list in my opinion. I wish I lived there haha

Originally Posted by KiawahConnor

I respect your argument, I was just speaking from personal experience. I must've been unlucky but I had a terrible time in Myrtle. If you get a chance to go to Wild Dunes, it definitely wont be forgettable, but Pinehurst tops the list in my opinion. I wish I lived there haha

Pinehurst is awesome we certainly agree there!! i will check out wild dunes one of these trips, thanks

3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

MB has more selection and value than Pinehurst, but most Pinehurst courses allow walking and it's a smaller area so less driving. Pinehurst is a more serene, bucolic area as well, but there's no beach.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Itinerary for last week in March:

18 holes early each day with same course replay if weather, energy, and availability allow. My first time to MB. Two-some. All courses near our home base -- Staybridge hotel. Coming from Chicago and will not have played since Fall.

courses in order -- changes not likely:

King's North at MBN

South at MBN

The Witch

Traditions Club

Wild Wing Avocet

Man 'O War

I know these are not the best courses in Myrtle Beach, but are they all pretty good? Worth the 900 mile trip?

Any great cheap eats near these courses? I'm all about golfing, eating, and sleeping. Emphasis on the golfing.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Itinerary for last week in March:

18 holes early each day with same course replay if weather, energy, and availability allow. My first time to MB. Two-some. All courses near our home base -- Staybridge hotel. Coming from Chicago and will not have played since Fall.

courses in order -- changes not likely:

King's North at MBN

South at MBN

The Witch

Traditions Club

Wild Wing Avocet

Man 'O War

I know these are not the best courses in Myrtle Beach, but are they all pretty good? Worth the 900 mile trip?

Any great cheap eats near these courses? I'm all about golfing, eating, and sleeping. Emphasis on the golfing.

I've played all of those, and you'll have a good time.  I went to Man O' War when I wasn't breaking 100 yet, and I swear I went through 2 dozen balls.  Every shot has water in play.  I'm going to play it again sometime this summer.  Wild Wing Avocet is a good, relaxing round.  It's not difficult, and it's fairly scenic.  The MBN courses are fairly nice as well, King's North is visually appealing when everything's in bloom.  While you're not playing "The Best" courses in MB, you have some really good ones that will leave a good impression on you when you leave.

As far as food, Myrtle Beach has everything from McDonalds to Fine Dining.  I can't go down there without visiting Benjamin's Calabash Seafood though, 150 item seafood buffet.  It's not necessarily "cheap", but you'll leave miserable because you ate too much, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by sabram

I've played more than 60 of the 100+ courses that remain open on the Grand Strand. My three favorites are True Blue, Caledonia and The Dunes Club.

Nice list sabram.

Caledonia is a very beautiful golf course. Been there once. I could say that it fits any handicaps.

Originally Posted by nevets88

MB has more selection and value than Pinehurst, but most Pinehurst courses allow walking and it's a smaller area so less driving. Pinehurst is a more serene, bucolic area as well, but there's no beach.

the only time i have ever walked on a golf trip is the Ocean Course, 36 holes a day, drinking most of the day and not enough sleep doesn't work well with walking!! Pinehurst area has those massive pines and decent elevation changes that add so much to a round on the plus side, on the negative food options are limited but good in Pinehurst. I have never actually seen the beach on my trips to Myrtle plenty of golf and bars but never the beach!

3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I am playing next weekend in Myrtle Beach and we have it narrowed down to MBN King's North and Willbrook Plantation. I have played King's North before and loved it but we have 2 golfers in our group who have around a 30 handicap. Which one would be better for us to play?

Note: This thread is 4444 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!