IGNORED

Mizuno Blades?

Domenic
Note: This thread is 4385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The last two posts were extremely helpful. I suppose I'm asking the wrong type of question. Let's start over.

Does anyone have any experience with forged cavity backs, especially a high handicapper.

That;s better but still to long, it would never show the entire question. Maybe what I really need to work at is being secinct.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Nah it's not about whether you're being succinct or not, it's about the fact that there's no answer to the (original) question other than arbitrary thoughts.

The following has no bearing on YOUR ability to hit x club brand/model/type more than y club brand/model/type better or worse, however...

I play Yonex VMS irons ( http://www.yonex.co.uk/golf/Product.aspx?ProdID=895 ). They're cavity backed, cast irons. I hit them well 'enough' but I find they lack any type of feeling. There's little to no difference in vibration through the shaft or sound at impact between a well struck shot or a mis-hit. They're the best cavity backs I've tried out however.

A while back I was out at a friend's place and as I was leaving my granddad called to see if I wanted to hit the range with him. I had no clubs with me so I decided to try out the forged Mizuno MP59's which are billed for better players. I hit them out of sight. Every shot was massively long and straight and I could even shape shots as required. I loved them.

A few weeks later I decided to try out the forged MP58's which again are billed for very low handicap players. Again I was hitting them fantastically and much MUCH better than my cavity backs.

I don't know if it was because I was hitting off range mats or whether they truly suit my swing.

I'm also trying out a forged Orka RS5 head on a Nippon NS Pro 950 shaft made my my club's clubmaker. I get along fantastically with it but there's not quite the same appeal as there is the Mizzies for me. It feels like I hit the Mizzies better.

I plan on going for a free fitting at the Mizuno UK Fitting Center in January to try out a series of different heads with shafts and find the best combination for me. I'll then figure out finances once I know which clubs will be with me for many years to come.

I realise that the above in no way indicates to you whether you personally will be able to hit forged irons, blades, cavity backs, muscle backs or hickory-shafted Hogans but I think it may be the type of response you're looking for?

• Upvote 1

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

High HC?

It depends on where you're losing shots. Are you a high hc because of putting, driving, short game, or irons?

If it's not irons, it may work.

I was probably a 15 hc about 10 yrs ago and had the original Nike Pro Combos - I was fine with 8-PW in blade. I also had some Miura 201- that are an unforgiving cavity, and I was okay from 6-PW. I also played some MP-33s in 6-PW - loved them.

Let's put it this way, if you are dying for a blade, get them, and die by the blade. I'd get a used set cheap and put your real money into GI irons.

Or if you plan on lessons and becoming a student of the game - a real student, then it might work. And be realistic about the shaft. Don't get something high kick and stiff if you don't belong there.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As MBD stated the question isn't the problem, the problem is we haven't seen you swing and have no idea what your skill level or athetic ability is.  I initially bought Diablo Edge SGI irons, I didn't really like them but the salesperson convinced me they were the best for my swing (which was bad).  I now use 2009 X-Forged on the course and Hogan Apex Edge Pro's on the range.  I prefer how they look at address and feel they improve my aim given the thinner topline and reduced offset.  Would I have seen the same improvement if I stuck with my SGI's maybe, would I have seen even better improvement, who knows?

Here are common responses to the question you're asking that I've seen in this forum and others;

• High handicappers have no business gaming blades.  If PGA Tour Pro's play Ping G irons then there's no reason a high handicapper should play blades.
  • You should play the irons you like best, it's your money.  Buy the blades and figure out how to hit them.
  • If you really want to learn to work the ball you need forged blades.
  • Pro's work the ball with cast GI irons, it's a fallacy you need a forged blade to work the ball.
  • There's no a better feeling (sound) in golf than a flush strike with a forged club
  • Most people couldn't discern the difference between a forged club head and cast if they were blindfolded - it's all placebo

I'm sure you're confused, but those are the responses you'll typically see to this question, opinions.  I suggest you get the set of clubs YOU want and figure out how to hit them.  No mattter which you buy get fitted by a pro to make sure you get the right shaft for your swing speed and they are fit for your current height and swing.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by broombroom

The reason why top pros tend to use blades and not game improvement ones is so that they can shape the ball whatever way they want.  They require to hit a wide variety of shot shapes and blades allow them to do this.  They are that good and have that much control over their game to do so. If you give them game improvement ones they wont be able to do it as well. If you give a high handicapper blades he will perform worse than game improvement ones.

You can still shape shots with even an SGI iron.  Any time you are striking a round object with a square object you can manipulate the square object to put certain spin on the round object.  The notion that you cant shape shots with a CB is one of the biggest myths in golf.

The reason why pros like blades is for distance control.  With a blade, you will only hit the ball a certain distance no matter how much you hit the sweet spot of the club but with a CB you get a dramatic distance increase when you hit the ball dead center on the clubface (as much as 10 yards).

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Aren't some confusing forged v. cast with CB v Blades?

Plenty of forged CBs out there and Forged Bodies with Cast Face Clubs.

I think the longer the heel-toe length and the more the perimeter weighting - the more difficult it is to shape.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

all very helpful. I think maybe something like a Ci11 or JPX 800 Pro, with some forgiveness, but room to improve before I get my blades around junior year.

Originally Posted by Domenic

Does anyone have any experience with forged cavity backs, especially a high handicapper.

Here's a couple reviews

http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/ping_anser_irons_review

http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/mizuno_jpx-800_pro_review

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Here are common responses to the question you're asking that I've seen in this forum and others;

High handicappers have no business gaming blades.  If PGA Tour Pro's play Ping G irons then there's no reason a high handicapper should play blades.

You should play the irons you like best, it's your money.  Buy the blades and figure out how to hit them.

If you really want to learn to work the ball you need forged blades.

Pro's work the ball with cast GI irons, it's a fallacy you need a forged blade to work the ball.

There's no a better feeling (sound) in golf than a flush strike with a forged club

Most people couldn't discern the difference between a forged club head and cast if they were blindfolded - it's all placebo

• High handicappers have no business gaming blades.  If PGA Tour Pro's play Ping G irons then there's no reason a high handicapper should play blades.
  • You should play the irons you like best, it's your money.  Buy the blades and figure out how to hit them.
  • If you really want to learn to work the ball you need forged blades. UNTRUE
  • Pro's work the ball with cast GI irons, it's a fallacy you need a forged blade to work the ball. TRUE
  • There's no a better feeling (sound) in golf than a flush strike with a forged club REMOVE THE WORDS "with a forged club"
  • Most people couldn't discern the difference between a forged club head and cast if they were blindfolded - it's all placebo CHANGE "Most people couldn't " to NOONE CAN
  • Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Domenic

Adams CB2s are great.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

What about those random Srixon's Z Stars? Theres no way I could get 'em because they're so "rare" that a deal is unlikely. But they're a forged GI club, right up my alley.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

High HC?

It depends on where you're losing shots. Are you a high hc because of putting, driving, short game, or irons?

Believe it or not, it doesn't really matter......BTW, what is a high HC?...I don't know either...LOL

With that said, whether you are a 0, 5, 10,20, or 30HC......your stats will all fall within certain ranges across the board based on your HC.  IE....the USGA can tell you your GIR based on your handicap within a few percentage points.....and any other stat for that matter...

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• Administrator

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Believe it or not, it doesn't really matter......BTW, what is a high HC?...I don't know either...LOL

With that said, whether you are a 0, 5, 10,20, or 30HC......your stats will all fall within certain ranges across the board based on your HC.  IE....the USGA can tell you your GIR based on your handicap within a few percentage points.....and any other stat for that matter...

Not within a "few" percentage points, no. Within 20, I'm sure 98% of golfers will fit. But within a few? No. Small greens, tight fairways, short courses, wide open courses... they can all affect those things way, WAY too much, not to mention that you can be a scratch golfer with wildly different statistics. Tiger Woods won majors missing half the fairways and hitting nearly all of them (Hoylake, with irons). Stats vary a lot more than you seem to think (says the guy who writes stats software and has seen the statistics of about 2000 golfers).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Originally Posted by mlf16507

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacGregor-Mactec-685-Forged-irons-/290652692508?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash;=item43ac40201c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIZUNO-T-ZOID-PRO-STEEL-IRON-3-PW-REGULAR-/320822759937?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash;=item4ab286d201

Here are links to a couple of iron sets I think you should look into.  Both are forged semi-cavity backs.

Both sets have a high(ish) starting bid and appear to be almost worn out. That's the risk of buying used forged irons.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

yeah, it's tough to recommend based on a  hc and knowing nothing else -- I do think it depends on how he hits his irons and what he is using now, and what he wants - then saying, "here is something" and leaving it up to the player to figure out if it might be something he'll enjoy.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Both sets have a high(ish) starting bid and appear to be almost worn out. That's the risk of buying used forged irons.

Not saying these are the exact sets to buy, but check them out for ones to look for..  Also Nickent 3-DX forged or 4-DX forged would work.

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Note: This thread is 4385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!