IGNORED

long hybrid VS. 7 wood ... pro's / con's & your preference

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Hybrids are "easier to hit" for some people because they have shorter shafts, but have almost flat faces. But, FWs have curved clufaces - bulge and roll - which spins toe and heel hits back toward center.

Hybrids have bulge and roll too.  FWIW, the KE4 SSF1 hybrids in my sig have 14"x16" of B&R;, and the CT250 5 wood has the identical amount of B&R.;  Some hybrids might have a little less, 14"x14", 16"x16", 16"x18", 18"x18", etc., but it is still present.

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

I don't carry a 3 hybrid anymore because I hit it and my 7 Wood about the same distance, but was a lot more consistent with the 7 Wood.

Myself as well.  In fact I recently picked up a 9W and I'm probably taking the 4H out of my bag as well.  It leaves me contemplating a 5H to replace my 5i as I don't like the idea of not having any hybrid at all for those shots out of the rough.

Brad

• 5 months later...

Go for the 7 it’s a great wood and more dependable and consistent than any hybrid. Now you will duff the odd shot but it will be the odd one the TaylorMade 7 Burner is a game save, the club almost hits the ball itself for you. You get the distance and precision that makes birdies an everyday event. Remember slow down that back swing and let the club do the work for you another game saver I found are grip trainers that you attach to your club - GripIt Rite  they work great. I am just a novice golf player and not associated with any of the companies I listed just passing on my past expierance and hope that it can work for you.

• 8 months later...

Hi..with that smile..doesnt matter what you use..you will always be a winner..:)...as far as the hybrid vs 7 wood..I use the hybids instead of woods..much easier to hit in air..straighter.but if you can hit your 5 wood...i would think you would love the 7 wood...hybrids take the place of long irons..and woods ..when golfers like myself can hit them...

inthehole i see a lot of people playing these Nickent clubs but never tried them yet what is the deal with them.

I dont ever see them in the stores?

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

I too play a 7w and it is my 'go to' club. I see my friends trying to hit 2h & 3h and having trouble. My 7w is just as long or longer then a 2h. I play Cobra woods and find them easy to hit.

The 7 wd tends to be a larger head and longer shaft -- the problem with fairways these days is both of those factors - the larger head may be more forgiving but it is less playable from various lies. The longer shaft - I've seen 42.5 inches+ in some is too long - 41 inches is sufficient.

So - I'm trying a 21.5 Hybrid - the shaft is slightly less lengthy than a traditional 7 wood, but the head is more playable from a variety of lies. Find a bigger headed Hybrid if you need the confidence of more size.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by hacker101

inthehole i see a lot of people playing these Nickent clubs but never tried them yet what is the deal with them.

I dont ever see them in the stores?

Nickent, billed as King of the Hybrids, is on the rebound. Nickent ended up like MacGregor, in financial crisis but eventually got rescued.

Dick's (parent of Golf Galaxy) bought Nickent: http://www.hookedongolfblog.com/2011/03/29/dicks-buys-nickent

Here's the Nickent website with club info: http://www.nickentgolf.com/hybrids.htm

Besides hybrids, Nickent has some interesting low-profile FWs, the 7DX and 7DT lines.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Thanks Wutiger for the info, will check them out.

I am in the middle of a decision also on a 7w 20* or a Ping Hybrid 20*.

I currently play a ping 4w it is 16.5* and love it so I need an in between my 4w and my 4 i.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Thanks Wutiger for the info, will check them out.

I am in the middle of a decision also on a 7w 20* or a Ping Hybrid 20*.

I currently play a ping 4w it is 16.5* and love it so I need an in between my 4w and my 4 i.

Feel is subjective to everyone.

I tried the Nickent hybrid in the mid-2000's - the feel was too hard/harsh to me. Sold it quickly.

If you're a Ping guy, I'd stay with Ping. There is something about uniformity in Fairways and hybrids that is appealing ... to me.

Even though I have a TM R1 and a RBZ 5H, I tested Adams Super S and LS, Callaway, and TM Stage 2 on a LM - uniformity happened to win out in terms of easier distance - the Stage 2. I went with a 21.5 Hybrid as I think modern fairways are too long in length. The hybrids are shorter in length, more consistent, and the smaller clubhead is more playable.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I fully agree with you, regarding same brand and style, weight and feel is important. Ping woods has a certain weighting that I really like, they match the irons very well, that and the forgiveness that I liked in my 4w was why I got it.

To me TM is hard/harsh and not forgiving at all but that is me. Funny how clubs feel and fit people different. I just has seen a lot of people play Nickent clubs and never seen them in a store to try so was just a bit curious.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

I fully agree with you, regarding same brand and style, weight and feel is important. Ping woods has a certain weighting that I really like, they match the irons very well, that and the forgiveness that I liked in my 4w was why I got it.

To me TM is hard/harsh and not forgiving at all but that is me. Funny how clubs feel and fit people different. I just has seen a lot of people play Nickent clubs and never seen them in a store to try so was just a bit curious.

The R1 and Stage 2 feel soft with a little hot melt although the Stage 2 hybrids feel soft to me in stock form. A little bit of Hot Melt tends to quiet the head and soften the feel - my club guy does it when he shortens the shaft length slightly. Too much hot melt throws off the balance of the club - so it's a delicate balance.

As to your choice, the hybrid is typically more useful out of the rough.

Here is a question, why shorten a club unless you are a short guy?

Why not just choke up a little and what does hot melt do, I have never heard of this before.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

I play a 7 & 9 wood and love them both (callaway diablo octane).

I hit my 7 wood 190-200

I have no hybrids in my bag

In the Puma Orange Formation Stand Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ (10.25)

Fairway Woods: Callaway Diablo Octane (3,5,7,9)

Irons: Mizuno JPX 800 Pro (6-PW) 

Wedges: Mizuno JPX (50, 55, & 60)

Putter: Odyssey Versa #1

Ball: Titleist DT Solo

Here is a question, why shorten a club unless you are a short guy?

Why not just choke up a little and what does hot melt do, I have never heard of this before.

Because shaft lengths are too long these days and it makes for inconsistency in ball striking.

You can grip down but gripping down all the time can be uncomfortable. You really need to put some extra wraps on the lower hand of the grip.

You can shorten the shaft length with a heavier shaft and it may not affect the balance of the club - swing weight, or

You can slightly shorten (I don't like to go more than .5 inches) the shaft and add hot melt to the club for added weight, and maintain the flex and swing weight.

Hot melt is basically rat glue - you can put it in strategic places in the head to help promote a certain ball flight, although a couple of grams will have little effect. I've had club makers shorten length by 1 inch or more but they end up putting 20+ gr of hot melt in the head and it screws with the balance and the club head -- after my first bad expensive experience with a club maker doing this, I am more precise with instructions to the club maker since I know what works and what does not work for me.

Interesting never heard of this before, i have heard of people cutting down there shafts but not adding a glue.

Thanks for the information.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Note: This thread is 3792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!