IGNORED

Are the shanks real?

Tiger90
Note: This thread is 3226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My husband has the shanks.  He is miserable.  He can go to the range and hit them straight, but as soon as he goes to the course, the dreaded shanks reappear.  It's all he thinks about--especially since he has his annual golf tournament coming up in August.  I know it's mental, but I don't know what to say or do to help him through this.  (I play golf too, so I know what a difficult, demanding, frustrating game it can be).  Any suggestions on how to fix your mind to get rid of the fear of shanking every time you pick up an iron?  His short game is great  and his drives are long and straight.  It's just the iron play.  HELP!!!

The shanks are my personal demon.......I think about them on every shot.  Sad but true...   I might not shank a single shot over the course of many rounds, but them WHAM....I may have 2 or 3 in a round.   Each one is typically good for a double bogey because my home course will make you pay dearly for hitting it sideways.   After a shank, bad shots usually follow even if they aren't shanks because you're swinging scared...LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by seamusella

But how do you swing through the fear?

Poorly..............LOL

I look at where the ball impacts the clubface after every iron shot.  If I miss the sweet spot, it's usually in towards the heel.  The ball flies great so long as the ball doesn't touch the hosel.   Many high HC players struggle with hitting the ball out towards the toe......I just happen to be the opposite.  My miss is to the inside near the shaft.

What's in Paul's Bag:

They aren't..............

What's in Paul's Bag:

They aren't..............

Werewolves on the other hand... Edit* sorry, I thought your post was a direct answer to the thread's title. My bad. Carry on.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Tiger90

I know people shank the ball all the time.  However i just wanted to know if this ever is a consistant problem.

In Tin Cup, Kevin Costner gets the shanks right before the US Open, and he cannot get rid of them.

So i guess what im asking is, do people really get that bad a case of the shanks, where no matter what all they do is shank?

Has anybody every got a case of this? I know everybody has shanked the ball, but has it ever been a big problem where you cannot get rid of them?

Im just curious if what happened in Tin Cup has actually happened to one of you or someone you know...

Yes yes you can. I had an issue were i developed the shanks on the last hole in highschool golf match. Proceeded to put about 5 balls into the water. I finally hit one hard enough it actually got over the water. Then i proceeded to have the shanks for the next few weeks. Then they went away.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Spot on! And I'm not talking about a lefty. I did this once while trying to do what my pro asked me to. It was so far out of my comfort zone, still a bit shaky.

Time to jinx myself...

I have never, in almost 20 years, shanked a ball in my life. However, my slice recently has been about as bad as any shank could be anyway, so what the F is the difference? I almost wish I would start shanking it occasionally, as it would probably mean I'm doing something different/out of my comfort zone.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Time to jinx myself...

I have never, in almost 20 years, shanked a ball in my life. However, my slice recently has been about as bad as any shank could be anyway, so what the F is the difference? I almost wish I would start shanking it occasionally, as it would probably mean I'm doing something different/out of my comfort zone.

Sad thing is, a shank is just a very extreme move of a slice, created by an over the top swing, to the point your bringing the hozel into play. Sometimes you can stand to close, and your hands will move away from your body, creating shank, but that isn't as common.

I rather slice than shank. The feeling of hitting the hozel is bad for me. Its a golfers worst nightmare come to life :p

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

i had them yesterday, but they were caused by timing and temp being off, because i was battling a pretty gnarly hangover..

too much bourbon on saturday

• Administrator
Originally Posted by saevel25

Sad thing is, a shank is just a very extreme move of a slice, created by an over the top swing, to the point your bringing the hozel into play. Sometimes you can stand to close, and your hands will move away from your body, creating shank, but that isn't as common.

That's not true. I'm not even sure it's true the majority of the time.

Oftentimes people who have an INward swing direction (swinging left across the ball for righties) know to pull the hosel across the ball. It's the people who are actively shoving the hosel out at the ball - those with an OUTward swing direction - that shank.

I can't put a figure on it, but if forced to at gunpoint I think people are more likely to shank with an OUTward swing direction than an INward swing direction. Why then do most of the people you see shanking the ball have a big over-the-top move? Because 90% of golfers (or more) are over the top, so if 80% of shankers are OUTward shakers, they've only got 10% of the total of golfers to work with. (10 * .8 = 8, 90 * .2 = 18)

My own swing tends to get a little steep and a little more INward than I like, and I tend to hit the ball on the toe when I do that. When I shift it more outward I can hit the occasional shank when practicing. That's even one of my posted YouTube videos.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
The shanks are a very very real problem for me. For the past year I have not hit an iron properly at all. It has nearly made me give up. I have finally managed to book a lesson for tomorrow so I can fix this curse. If tomorrow's lesson doesn't help solve my shanks I think I will have to give up the game I love :(

Note: This thread is 3226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!