IGNORED

How to carry a Vokey RAW rusty in the Golf Bag?

scruch
Note: This thread is 4298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

It's helpful for people who don't,

Not arguement there.

Originally Posted by BugDude

If a person likes the look, then why are they cleaning it off and spraying it down with stuff to remove and prevent it from rusting?  Either let her rust or get something that doesn't.  If you don't want your bag to get rust stains on it, throw a sock over your wedge or get a plastic club cover for it.

Well, the original question was more pertaining to would the rust transfer to other clubs in the bag, not about how to prevent the rust on said raw finished club.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Not arguement there.

Well, the original question was more pertaining to would the rust transfer to other clubs in the bag, not about how to prevent the rust on said raw finished club.

I guess I was speaking more to the replies saying how to clean it and spray stuff on it to prevent it from rusting...which defeats the point of buying a wedge designed to rust.  If a person wants the rust look without the rust stains on their bag, then a plastic club cover would seem to solve the issue.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

• 3 months later...

tour pros play rusted wedges all the time....even strip the irons to a raw steel.

check out golf.com they have an album of stuff from this years masters. now only thing i didnt notice is if the faces look petina as well. they show the bags and mostly the blades/cavity of the clubs. not the face.

i was more amazed by some of the players rediculous amount of lead tape. especially Phil mickelsons #8 odyssey XG putter. it had like 20+ strips on it!

cavity irons filled with tape and even whole back end of blades irons covered as well.

its always funny to see how tour pros have literally ever single tiny detail of their bag custom to their preference...its not just the technological aspect.

I'm surprised they dont just get stuff custom grinded from a company like scratch....id love a set of irons from "polka dot"

Originally Posted by handlez42

tour pros play rusted wedges all the time....even strip the irons to a raw steel.

check out golf.com they have an album of stuff from this years masters. now only thing i didnt notice is if the faces look petina as well. they show the bags and mostly the blades/cavity of the clubs. not the face.

i was more amazed by some of the players rediculous amount of lead tape. especially Phil mickelsons #8 odyssey XG putter. it had like 20+ strips on it!

cavity irons filled with tape and even whole back end of blades irons covered as well.

its always funny to see how tour pros have literally ever single tiny detail of their bag custom to their preference...its not just the technological aspect.

I'm surprised they dont just get stuff custom grinded from a company like scratch....id love a set of irons from "polka dot"

I remember seeing lots of pro's wedges that were rust coated and looked like they had been sitting in a bucket of water for 2 years.  I've been trying to figure out a way to rust up mine around the front of the face (but not on the face) because the glare bothers me.

Ya the lead tape seemed ridiculous I mean with all the new technology you would think they would be able to customize them with that extra bit of weight the tape ads.

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

• Administrator
I remember seeing lots of pro's wedges that were rust coated and looked like they had been sitting in a bucket of water for 2 years.

I highly doubt it. I've never seen a pro's wedge that was rusted. Rust decreases spin.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

I highly doubt it. I've never seen a pro's wedge that was rusted.

Rust decreases spin.

That's right.

You'll see pros' wedges that are pitted and have corrosion on the back, but not a coating of powdery rust.

Especially on the face.

Even if they did, one bunker shot takes care of that.

Originally Posted by mosnas

Ya the lead tape seemed ridiculous I mean with all the new technology you would think they would be able to customize them with that extra bit of weight the tape ads.

How is lead tape ridiculous?

It's a method of tuning clubs.

What "technology" could replace a few grams of lead tape on the back of an iron?

It's technology that works perfectly well. It can be removed, added, changed or whatever, whenever, wherever.

You may as well laugh at people using pens or pencils and ask why "technology"hasn't replaced them.

And the reason they don't have stiuff custom "grinded" from companies like SCratch is that they are contracted to use certain clubs and probbaly don't want SCratch clubs anyway.

What they have, starnge as it may seem to you works pretty well, you'll find.

And....unlike some of us, pros are more interested in golf than golf clubs.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

That's right.

You'll see pros' wedges that are pitted and have corrosion on the back, but not a coating of powdery rust.

Especially on the face.

Even if they did, one bunker shot takes care of that.

How is lead tape ridiculous?

It's a method of tuning clubs.

What "technology" could replace a few grams of lead tape on the back of an iron?

It's technology that works perfectly well. It can be removed, added, changed or whatever, whenever, wherever.

You may as well laugh at people using pens or pencils and ask why "technology"hasn't replaced them.

Well on phils putter for instance I would have thought that they could replace the 10+ strips of lead tape on there by maybe making a putter with a weight on it or something? and instead of lead tape I thought maybe the companies could make wedges and clubs exactly to their specs but I guess with club making it would be hard. didn't mean to strike a nerve there.  I am just used to hockey equipment where it is much easier to customize equipment and options for pros, my bad.

Rust decreases spin.

Didn't see any pictures of the grooves for their clubs but if you look at this link ( http://www.golf.com/photos/tour-customs-unique-details-pros-bags/graeme-mcdowell-srixon-irons ) as well as many other of the albums on the site you will see plenty of rusted up wedges.

Originally Posted by mosnas

but if you look at this link (http://www.golf.com/photos/tour-customs-unique-details-pros-bags/graeme-mcdowell-srixon-irons) as well as many other of the albums on the site you will see plenty of rusted up wedges.

That's the back of the club. That's a raw (unchromed) finish. It's not a fine coating of rust on the face.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
Didn't see any pictures of the grooves for their clubs but if you look at this link ([URL=http://www.golf.com/photos/tour-customs-unique-details-pros-bags/graeme-mcdowell-srixon-irons]http://www.golf.com/photos/tour-customs-unique-details-pros-bags/graeme-mcdowell-srixon-irons[/URL]) as well as many other of the albums on the site you will see plenty of rusted up wedges.

Those aren't "rusted wedges." I'm talking about the clubface.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Shorty

That's the back of the club. That's a raw (unchromed) finish. It's not a fine coating of rust on the face.

It looks more than unfinished to me though because the sole and corner sole of the club appear to be a different shade, as well if you look at the Cleveland logo and the white lettering it appears to be faded towards a yellowish tinge colour (either from sun or the "rusting" or what every you want to call it).

This ( http://www.golf.com/photos/tour-customs-unique-details-pros-bags/stewart-appleby-callaway-wedge ) is also a good picture of more clear spot rust from club chatter which eventually took off the finish of the club revealing the metal underneath causing it to oxidize or wahatever.

Maybe we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Anywho sorry OP for hijacking

• Administrator
Maybe we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

There's nothing about which to disagree - you haven't shown a clubface with any rust on it. The back of the club is irrelevant.

There's nothing about which to disagree - you haven't shown a clubface with any rust on it. The back of the club is irrelevant.

Was only referring to the back of the club...I never said anything about the front face being rusted. when I was referring to the "looks like they have been soaked in a bucket of water for two years" I was referring to some of the pictures throughout the website, sorry for the confusion that may have caused you guys.

• 1 month later...

Rust decreases spin.

Petina? Have you not seen a tour pros bag? I see alot of old wedges like older clevelands and vokeys that have rust.

If it in fact decreases spin then that's probably exactly why they do it. With tours pros swinging faster, harder contact, steeper approach as they toss a yard of turf 40 yards in front of them. All those things combined create alot of spin and course depending they may just play a club to hold the green.

now of course there's always the thought that they just dont wanna change. Professionals in all sports are superstitious to an extent. And some just like "the trusty wedge they have had for years"

But then of course you gotta take into consideration that courses are prepping greens to react like concrete. They are cut sooo fine that tapping the ball softly can find yourself off the green

Its really an interesting debate.. And in some cases it might just be something tour pros are keeping "secret" after all anybody else that isn't a pro doesn't have too many issues with too much spin when hitting the green. Unless its short game

• Administrator
Originally Posted by handlez42

Petina? Have you not seen a tour pros bag? I see alot of old wedges like older clevelands and vokeys that have rust.

If it in fact decreases spin then that's probably exactly why they do it. With tours pros swinging faster, harder contact, steeper approach as they toss a yard of turf 40 yards in front of them. All those things combined create alot of spin and course depending they may just play a club to hold the green.

No.

You've not seen a tour player's bag with rust on the faces.

They don't intentionally rust the faces of their wedges to decrease spin. They'd get inconsistent amounts of spin because the rust would wear off quickly.

Note: This thread is 4298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!