IGNORED

Do you dip?

J.J.
Note: This thread is 6087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play a Thursday afternoon blitz every week with a good buddy of mine who smokes grass. I have smoked with him on occasion but it didn't have any affect on my game. I was already playing bad enough to start drinking heavily so it didn't matter.

My Sticks:
DriverFT-5 9.5° Tour Accuflex Creation 65g Stiff -or-
:R7 Superquad Redboard Stiff
Woods::TEE CB2 Accuflex Creation 80g stiff
Irons:755 cb 4-SWWedges: CG10 Black Pearl 52,56,60Putter::Seemore Black FGP 34.25"

• 2 months later...
I dip Citrus Skoal when i play.

I find it relaxing.
in the bag:
R580XD 10.5°
Rescue Dual 19°
Titleist 755 4-PW
Vokey Black Nickel 54.10° Vokey Oil Can 60.08° Circa 62 No. 2 Charcoal Mist

I like a dip on the course. It relaxes me and I think it improves my swing. Only problem is that it is really hard to get dip in Asia. I don't spit on the greens and usually only in the rough.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

I started dipping when I was around 13 and quit when I was 30. Hardest thing I ever tried to do. That stuff had a huge hold on me and I was totally addicted. For about two years I would have cravings. I'm finally over those, but I know if I took one dip today I would be totally hooked again.

I know you younger guys out there probably don't want to hear advice like this, but if you can quit do it now. The longer you dip the harder it becomes to quit. Smoking too. There is just no benefit to either one.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played baseball in college in the South. EVERYONE dipped or chewed. I really had no interest, but I tried both. I can understand the oral fixation part of it. Every now and then, a chew was "something to do," while we were throwing (I was a pitcher) or such. I tried Skoal and Kodiak and that shit would completely kick my ass. I had a little dip in, and was called down to the bullpen to warm up - I felt like I was going to fall off the mound.

However, I kinda got hooked on the oral part. Note, I am NOT an addictive personality. I never at any point became addicted, but would just kinda get a craving. If I didn't have any around, I wouldn't go to the store to get it, I'd just get over it. But if I was at a store and suddenly felt it, I'd pick some up. I used Hawken.

*begin making fun*

Sweeter than candy, super thick cut so it didn't taste and feel like fiberglass, and satisfied my urge. I just sorta did it on and off for years, but then when I got life insurance a few years ago, I found out that using it classified me as a smoker and shot my rates up. I quit then and haven't looked back. See it in the store now and then, kinda think about it, then get over it. I admit, the time I found it most useful was golf, just something to keep me from over-analyzing my game/swing, but haven't really missed it.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

• 2 weeks later...
Last time I dipped I puked my guts up......so never again.
Rynofskie

In My Well-Used Highlander Bag:

Driver:Redline RPM 9.5* Driver - TourLaunch Blue Shaft Rescue: "The Ripper" wal-mart special 3HybridIrons: ADAMS GT500 Undercut Widesole 4-LWPutter: Ray Cook custom mallet putterGuns don't kill people - the proper application of sight alignment, target...

I played baseball in college in the South. EVERYONE dipped or chewed. I really had no interest, but I tried both. I can understand the oral fixation part of it. Every now and then, a chew was "something to do," while we were throwing (I was a pitcher) or such. I tried Skoal and Kodiak and that shit would completely kick my ass. I had a little dip in, and was called down to the bullpen to warm up - I felt like I was going to fall off the mound.

I too played baseball in college and it wasn't the games that got me into dipping it was the bus trips and playing cards in people's hotel rooms on road trips. That being said I usually put two dips in on the course one for each nine, I feel they last about 5-6 holes. I don't really take notice to where I spit, because if you have been dipping for awhile the amount (both frequency and quantity) that you spit decreases. I know I have spit on the greens but I couldn't tell you where two seconds after I did it. I don't spit in the hole like Sergio though.

Got sick on cigars after a game this summer. Now campfire smoke makes me think of it and I feel nauseaus. I'm such a nancy.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

When i caddie almost all of the people smoke cigars and cigarets i have seen very few people dip from what i understand wont be doing any of that anytime soon (probably never) . Cigaret smoke make me feel like crap also. But i do enjoy jerky chew (you can dip that its like jerky snuff)

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

Funny - I thought you meant do you dip when swinging...

I tried it in High School - I could handle Skoal but when I tried Copenhagen, I swallowed some of it and I started spinning like a top, ended up throwing up (not big chunks mind you) outside my buddies car. That cured me of even trying Skoal and I haven't dipped since.

Another story - in college I took a really hot girl to a concert. One of the guys in our frat got upset because he liked this girl (Brenda Jones) and wasn't happy that I was taking her out. Anyway, there were six of us sharing gin and tonics. So this guy switched one gin bottle with one tonic bottle, one gin bottle he put 1/2 and 1/2 and the third bottle he left alone. Anyway, we had no clue what we were pouring but when our dates didn't like what we poured (because they were smarter than we were) us guys chugged the drink. After all, if we poured mostly tonic - why not?

I spent most of the concert riding the porcelain bus. Finally after dry heaving for close to three hours I got back to my seat in time for the concert to end and take my date home. At her door, she smiled real big and I noticed that she had a big cud in and I almost blew chunks again.

Both stories have the same outcome - I haven't touched gin since.

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

i figured i could live without a lip but couldnt live without my lungs

it's true that you cant live without your lungs. but how would you feal having your bottom jaw removed? alot of my friends chew and i have tried it a couple times but afterwards i get massive headaches

girls that chew? thats just nasty.i would have kissed her good night then threw up in her mouth

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

I've never smoked or dipped, and I probably never will. I don't care how "cool" I will become if I do it. I'm in my last year of high school btw. So I've gotten through 4 years without even wanting to try it. It doesn't bother me..

In my Essex Stand Bag:
3 Wood: F/Speed - Aldila S Graphite Shaft
Hybrid: Halo 3i 22° - R Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Glass Bead - Lob Wedge - 60°Putter: Tour Collection MX400 (LOVE IT!)Ball: HX-Tour 56 - Pro-V1XHome Courses: Stone Mountain Golf Course (73.5/134)

I used to love Kodiak Straight back in college. I haven't had a dip in probably 6 years though. I'd like to throw one in one time, but I'm not going to buy it and all of my friends who dip like nasty flavors - mint, peach, etc. that I have no interest in trying.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I'm a former "Skoal brother" (remember the old Earl Campbell commercials). I quit 8 years ago when my kids were 3 and I still have the urge every now and then. Just from this post I can taste it *zaps self with high voltage cattle prod*. I feel better now.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator

Quite honestly, I think people who dip, smoke, or even drink alcohol excessively are - in that small part of their life - incredibly stupid.

There's simply no way the small "benefits" you get from doing those activities can in any way overcome the massive downsides.

I smoked exactly one time - at my high school graduation night get-together - and that was so I could say "yep, that wasn't worth it" with experience. I occasionally have a single alcoholic beverage.

I just... I don't get it. "Here, smoke this. You'll feel like crap, your teeth will turn yellow (along with your hands), you'll smell bad, and you'll likely die much earlier than you would have normally. Oh, but you'll be a little more mellow or something... it's totally worth it!" And chew's no better.

My little sermon's over. Any kids reading this, though, be smart: don't smoke, don't chew, don't "get smashed" on booze.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm a former "Skoal brother" (remember the old Earl Campbell commercials). I quit 8 years ago when my kids were 3 and I still have the urge every now and then. Just from this post I can taste it *zaps self with high voltage cattle prod*. I feel better now.

Learn from my experience. If you never start, you will never have to quit.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 6087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!