IGNORED

I20 vs G15

Note: This thread is 4273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just curious if what folks that have hit both feel about the forgiveness? I played an i15 and switched to the G15 for the forgiveness but the I20 is supposed to be more forgiving than the older i15. But is more forgiving than the G15?

Thanks- Dale

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

I would say no, not forgiving as forgiving as the G15, not as high an MOI and the CG is more forward.  If you are looking for a driver that is lower spinning than the G15, i20 would be a good option.  This is a good thread to check out

http://thesandtrap.com/t/55371/ping-golf-2012-pga-show-video-and-pics

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I find the i20's are more forgiving then the i15's with less offset.  I haven't hit the G15's but I love my i20's.  I have already broken my previous best round of 86 twice in a week with an 85 and an 84 in mid March.  I almost bought the i15 last year but they just didn't feel right to me.  It only took about 5 swings with the i20 to ask golfsmith about my trade in.

Originally Posted by Jazzfan

I find the i20's are more forgiving then the i15's with less offset.  I haven't hit the G15's but I love my i20's.  I have already broken my previous best round of 86 twice in a week with an 85 and an 84 in mid March.  I almost bought the i15 last year but they just didn't feel right to me.  It only took about 5 swings with the i20 to ask golfsmith about my trade in.

Yeah, i15 wasn't a very popular driver, even the pros didn't like it, ball curved too much and I think the G15 looked better at address

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

I play the G15 irons and used to play the G15 driver.  I went to PING to have the irons bent and did a driver fitting while I was there.  I hit the G15 driver way high with a draw and after seeing improvement in the 9 degree G20 with tour stiff flex I saw the best results in the 8 degree i15 with the UST shaft in stiff.  This was before the i20 line was available.  I expressed concern over the i15 as I heard the same issues around it being unpopular and difficult to hit.   The PING guy told me that most amatuers have or struggle with a left to right ball flight (nice way of saying a slice) and being the i15 is fade biased it wasn't a good fit for the largest percentage of players. However, for drawers of the ball looking for a more neutral or slight fade tee shot (which was me as most OB on my home course is left) this club was money!   I ordered it and can tell you I have never driven the ball better.  I have yet to try to i20...and do think the irons are worthy of a try out...but I suspect that i15 driver will remain solidly in the bag.

Driver:  i15 (8*)  3W:  R11 (14*)   Hybrids:  G10 (28*)    A12OS (25* & 19*)  Irons:  i20 (7i-UW)    Wedges: CG14 (54* & 58*)   Putter:  Scotty Cameron Red X5    Ball:  Penta   

"What other people may find in poetry, I find in the flight of a good drive" -- Arnold Palmer  

• 3 months later...
Originally Posted by Cman13

I play the G15 irons and used to play the G15 driver.  I went to PING to have the irons bent and did a driver fitting while I was there.  I hit the G15 driver way high with a draw and after seeing improvement in the 9 degree G20 with tour stiff flex I saw the best results in the 8 degree i15 with the UST shaft in stiff.  This was before the i20 line was available.  I expressed concern over the i15 as I heard the same issues around it being unpopular and difficult to hit.   The PING guy told me that most amatuers have or struggle with a left to right ball flight (nice way of saying a slice) and being the i15 is fade biased it wasn't a good fit for the largest percentage of players. However, for drawers of the ball looking for a more neutral or slight fade tee shot (which was me as most OB on my home course is left) this club was money!   I ordered it and can tell you I have never driven the ball better.  I have yet to try to i20...and do think the irons are worthy of a try out...but I suspect that i15 driver will remain solidly in the bag.

Went to a PING fitting and the i20 driver couldn't touch the results of the i15.  I did however change from my G15 irons to the i20s...the i20 irons are simple amazing!

Driver:  i15 (8*)  3W:  R11 (14*)   Hybrids:  G10 (28*)    A12OS (25* & 19*)  Irons:  i20 (7i-UW)    Wedges: CG14 (54* & 58*)   Putter:  Scotty Cameron Red X5    Ball:  Penta   

"What other people may find in poetry, I find in the flight of a good drive" -- Arnold Palmer  

I play both an i15, and a G15.  I hit a draw , so the i15 doesn't hurt me too much, it will hurt me if I don't turn it over and resulting long pushes, but doesn't seem any worse then other fade biased clubs I've hit (9015d).  The G15 is definitely more forgiving, no doubt, I'll hit it on the toe and still find the fairway and have decent distance.  That said, it cannot hit the bombs that the i15 is capable of on normal to firm courses....the i15 is the longest driver I've hit...and I've hit everything (9015d, SFTP, R9 Superdeep, FT Tour, etc).  Feel is awesome on the i15 as well, hit it on the screws and angels sing.

I realize you're asking about the i20, just giving background there.  I hit one at the range about a month ago and think it more closely resembles/feels like the G15.  Larger shallower head, more neutral face and bias.  It felt pretty good, did seem to be low spin.  I did NOT like the Project X shaft, just felt loose and actually seemed to "wobble" on some well struck shots.  I'll be looking for an i20 in a year or so when prices drop, then throw my standard Harrison Saga 70S in it and compare to the i15 and 9015d benchmarks.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

Note: This thread is 4273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!