IGNORED

My Swing (Newtogolf)

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 4405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Still working on turning the hips versus shifting them and keeping the right arm straight.  Realize I still have a long way to go but any feedback would be helpful.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What's going to help you turn the hips will be a set-up adjustment, it's going to feel much different but allow much greater freedom in the lower body.  Will almost feel like you're riding a horse

newtogolf pic 1.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks Mike, Erik had the same advice.  My instructor has been working with me on using a wider more athletic stance where my weight is more on the balls of my feet.  I guess I need to make sure I check my address position more carefully.  Will a wider stance impact the rest of my swing or do you see other things I should work on as well.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Will a wider stance impact the rest of my swing or do you see other things I should work on as well.

Absolutely, I wouldn't recommend doing it for the sake of aesthetics Feet flared and the knees out helps the knee linkage occur.  We swing on an inclined plane, not level to the ground, so on the backswing, the hips and shoulders turn roughly 90* to the spine at address.  In order to do this, the rear knee has to lose some flexion, and the lead knee gains flexion, allowing the rear hip and shoulder to move upward into extension, and the lead shoulder and hip to go down.

newtogolf pic 2.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks.  I tried the suggestions on the range today.  It took a while to get used to the wider stance and flared knees, but once I did I noticed it was much easier to turn the hips on the backswing.  I had some trouble keeping the head from moving with the wider turn but I think I've got that worked out.  Biggest problem I'm now fighting now is keeping my left arm in tight to the body on the downswing.  If the left arm stays outside I hit a weak fade, but if I keep it in and use the wider turn I'm averaging about 10 more yards per club which was a nice surprise.  I'll try to post some new video tonight.

Joe Paradiso

Reviewed the video I took last night and saw the increased hip turn caused me to move my head about 2-3 inches to the left on my backswing.  I'll be working on that today.

Joe Paradiso

• 2 weeks later...

I suck so take it for what its worth, but your lead arm is nowhere near straight towards the top of the backswing. I would assume that is a problem?

One thought I use for that is to try to keep your hands as far away from your head as possible. got it from Manuel De la Torre, allows you to keep the arm straight without introducing tension/rigidity in the arm because your not "thinking" straight your thinking distance from your head.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Nice improvement! Yes, your elbow breaks at the top of your backswing, this might be a flexibility issue and trying to get parallel. You don't need to go parallel and likely shouldn't. There are plenty of tour pros who bomb the ball with a 3/4 swing. Swinging 3/4 will also allow you to concentrate on turning, lag and speed at impact...

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

Note: This thread is 4405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!