IGNORED

Why do the steelers sucks so bad??

BenGolf19
Note: This thread is 4316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

Once again, I suggest you learn to read.

The debate is not that someone might be slightly over-rated. You said the single most over-rated player of all time.

Says the fan of a team who wears purple and, well, exists in Baltimore, MD.

Steely McBeam and male cheerleaders.  Mr3Wiggle for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Kapanda

.                                 .

You know who else is overrated? Ray Lewis. I've seen him get trucked before as well.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

In the 70's in the Team meetings, the Steelers had great fun razzing the players who got praised in the media for pulling off a spectacular play when they had just messed up their assignment.  They also seemed to take delight in confusing the media and other teams.

Technically Franco Harris was in the wrong place at the wrong time when he made the "Immaculate Reception".

Terry Bradshaw had the reputation that no one including his teammates knew what he was going to do.  But half the time he burned the other team and at the same time kept the opposing defense off their game plan trying to keep his screw ups from burning them.

In my words the steelers like to create chaos and confusion in the game plans of the other team.

Originally Posted by neophytea

In the 70's in the Team meetings, the Steelers had great fun razzing the players who got praised in the media for pulling off a spectacular play when they had just messed up their assignment.  They also seemed to take delight in confusing the media and other teams.

Technically Franco Harris was in the wrong place at the wrong time when he made the "Immaculate Reception".

Terry Bradshaw had the reputation that no one including his teammates knew what he was going to do.  But half the time he burned the other team and at the same time kept the opposing defense off their game plan trying to keep his screw ups from burning them.

In my words the steelers like to create chaos and confusion in the game plans of the other team.

AKA...pulling it out of their arse.

Originally Posted by iacas

Six time pro-bowler, 2010 defensive player of the year. Sure sucks to be over-rated like that!

i no how tu weed, but fank you n-e-wayz.

i am well aware of what we are discussing here.  your first post in this thread, you agreed that he is over-rated.  you then went on to make the above sarcastic statement contradicting your stance after boring me with "staggering evidence" that was too long to watch.  so which is it?  i know your stance on him not being the most over-rated past or present blah, blah, blah...but do you still think he is over-rated?

flip...flop...flip...flop...

Face of the Steeler franchise:

troy-polamalu-hair.jpg

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Face of the Steeler franchise:

I'm not a fan of either team but what do the Ravens really have on the Steelers... Head to Head record... Head to Head playoff record... Superbowls in the last 10 years... Ravens got nothing other than their fans believe they are much better than the Steelers.

I stand corrected the Ravens did lose to an 0-14 Dolphins team in 2007 that the Steelers beat...

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

i no how tu weed, but fank you n-e-wayz.

i am well aware of what we are discussing here.  your first post in this thread, you agreed that he is over-rated.  you then went on to make the above sarcastic statement contradicting your stance after boring me with "staggering evidence" that was too long to watch.  so which is it?  i know your stance on him not being the most over-rated past or present blah, blah, blah...but do you still think he is over-rated?

flip...flop...flip...flop...

i'm pretty sure he's said since the beginning that he is over-rated, but not nearly as much as you're portraying him to be. some of your posts read like he's some 3rd string scrub and anyone plugged into that position could do just as well and probably better than him, which i believe to be a flat out lie.

http://footballoutsiders.com/player/16703/troy-polamalu

there are some advanced metrics and you can see that he's no slouch. now here's the thing, perception sometimes becomes reality and when an NFL safety misses a tackle or blows an assignment it's usually going to be a huge play if not a touchdown. asante samuel plays out of position all the time. he consistently leaves his man uncovered and goes for the QB's eyes. if he is right 5% of the time then he probably makes the pro bowl because people will ignore him giving up 15-20 yard receptions all day if he has a pick or two.

plus all of this is moot because we don't know what defenses were called and what the assignment's were. we don't even get to watch the coaches tape, so how can we decide who's at fault?

polumalu might not even be the most overrated safety on his own team. i think ryan clark gets way too much credit and is more likely to be effectively replaced than polumalu.

JPX 800 (5-AW)

Tracy

Originally Posted by tiger187126

i'm pretty sure he's said since the beginning that he is over-rated, but not nearly as much as you're portraying him to be. some of your posts read like he's some 3rd string scrub and anyone plugged into that position could do just as well and probably better than him, which i believe to be a flat out lie.

http://footballoutsiders.com/player/16703/troy-polamalu

there are some advanced metrics and you can see that he's no slouch. now here's the thing, perception sometimes becomes reality and when an NFL safety misses a tackle or blows an assignment it's usually going to be a huge play if not a touchdown. asante samuel plays out of position all the time. he consistently leaves his man uncovered and goes for the QB's eyes. if he is right 5% of the time then he probably makes the pro bowl because people will ignore him giving up 15-20 yard receptions all day if he has a pick or two.

plus all of this is moot because we don't know what defenses were called and what the assignment's were. we don't even get to watch the coaches tape, so how can we decide who's at fault?

polumalu might not even be the most overrated safety on his own team. i think ryan clark gets way too much credit and is more likely to be effectively replaced than polumalu.

i certainly wouldn't go so far as to say the guy is a third stringer.  he's a good player (not great), and has redeeming qualities about the way he plays.  also, what can't be ignored are the deficiencies in his game.  you can't overlook the fact that he gets embarrassed  by elite level qb's, and is a complete liability in pass coverage.  i understand SS is a risk/reward position, but c'mon, he gives up more big plays than most who get equal praise/admiration.  no troll: i've never seen him attempt (much less complete) a form tackle in the open filed while taking a ball carrier head on, but that seems to be the standard for a lot of d-backs these days.

i firmly believe that any top 32 SS could have fit his shoes over the past several years, and the success of the steelers would have remained unchanged.  lets be honest, this is a quarterback driven league.  take ben roth out of that lineup, and now we're talking about a far different team altogether.  i know i took a shot at the guy with that mugshot i posted, but all joking aside, his ability to scramble and keep plays/drives alive is the main reason for the steelers success and 2 rings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous 273 View Post

i certainly wouldn't go so far as to say the guy is a third stringer.  he's a good player (not great), and has redeeming qualities about the way he plays.  also, what can't be ignored are the deficiencies in his game.  you can't overlook the fact that he gets embarrassed  by elite level qb's, and is a complete liability in pass coverage.  i understand SS is a risk/reward position, but c'mon, he gives up more big plays than most who get equal praise/admiration.  no troll: i've never seen him attempt (much less complete) a form tackle in the open filed while taking a ball carrier head on, but that seems to be the standard for a lot of d-backs these days.

i firmly believe that any top 32 SS could have fit his shoes over the past several years, and the success of the steelers would have remained unchanged.  lets be honest, this is a quarterback driven league.  take ben roth out of that lineup, and now we're talking about a far different team altogether.  i know i took a shot at the guy with that mugshot i posted, but all joking aside, his ability to scramble and keep plays/drives alive is the main reason for the steelers success and 2 rings.

i think you are vastly underrating polumalu at a greater extent than anyone has overrated him.

go to 1:02 on that video and watch his closing speed to tackle chris johnson (i.e. possibly 4.1 speed chris johnson, and this was his 2000 yd year) in the backfield. the list of nfl players that can make that play is extremely short.

and everyone gets embarrassed by elite level QB's, that's what makes them elite level. seriously that's not even a remotely good argument. that's like saying a guy didn't hit well against the cy young winner or didn't guard the NBA MVP well.

comparing a QB to a SS in terms of team contribution is also a fruitless effort, and big ben has had his fair share of clunker games where the defense has bailed him out, or are you forgetting the 90 something yard INT return by harrison that kept pitt in that game. look at his first SB, the only TD pass was thrown by Randle El.

here's a snippit:

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Steelers won Super Bowl XL 21-10 over the Seattle Seahawks in Detroit on February 5, 2006. Roethlisberger had one of the worst passing games of his career, completing just nine of 21 passes for 123 yards and two interceptions; his passer rating of 22.6 was the lowest in Super Bowl history by a winning quarterback.

now he also converted some 3rd downs, but if you want to bag on polumalu for missing more plays than making, you can't tell me roethlisberger had a huge effect on the super bowl wins. he didn't even turn into a reliable passing QB until the year that they missed playoffs recently.

i don't know why you hate troy so much, but you are so far off base with some of your comments that it's just irrational. you couldn't even name the other 31 starting SS's in the league so how could you possibly pretend that they could play as well or better than polumalu.

JPX 800 (5-AW)

Tracy

i think you are vastly underrating polumalu at a greater extent than anyone has overrated him.

go to 1:02 on that video and watch his closing speed to tackle chris johnson (i.e. possibly 4.1 speed chris johnson, and this was his 2000 yd year) in the backfield. the list of nfl players that can make that play is extremely short.

and everyone gets embarrassed by elite level QB's, that's what makes them elite level. seriously that's not even a remotely good argument. that's like saying a guy didn't hit well against the cy young winner or didn't guard the NBA MVP well.

comparing a QB to a SS in terms of team contribution is also a fruitless effort, and big ben has had his fair share of clunker games where the defense has bailed him out, or are you forgetting the 90 something yard INT return by harrison that kept pitt in that game. look at his first SB, the only TD pass was thrown by Randle El.

here's a snippit:

now he also converted some 3rd downs, but if you want to bag on polumalu for missing more plays than making, you can't tell me roethlisberger had a huge effect on the super bowl wins. he didn't even turn into a reliable passing QB until the year that they missed playoffs recently.

i don't know why you hate troy so much, but you are so far off base with some of your comments that it's just irrational. you couldn't even name the other 31 starting SS's in the league so how could you possibly pretend that they could play as well or better than polumalu.

no, not everyone gets embarrassed by elite level qb's.  tom brady has never thrown an int?  drew brees has never thrown an int? peyton manning has never thrown an int?  i think you know where i'm going with this.  i'd expect a 50/50 split between a top level defensive back vs a top level qb. - give up some plays, make some others.

i'm not interested in watching a padded highlight reel vs the texans.  show me what he did against a-rodg in the super bowl...wait, we know how that game turned out.

i know i can't name the remaining 31 starting SS in the NFL; there would be something fundamentally wrong with my priorities at this point in my life if i could.  that's part of my point:  he's replaceable my any other starting SS in the league.

i guess ben going 5/7 for 84 yards, 4 yards rushing, and hitting santonio holmes in the corner of the end zone with a margin of error the size of a postage stamp for a game winning td with 0:35 remaining in super bowl 43 doesn't amount to being a reliable passing qb, and having a "huge effect on the super bowl."

i guess we can agree to disagree.  my irrational hate for troy = your irrational nuthugging for him...fair enough?

no, not everyone gets embarrassed by elite level qb's.  tom brady has never thrown an int?  drew brees has never thrown an int? peyton manning has never thrown an int?  i think you know where i'm going with this.  i'd expect a 50/50 split between a top level defensive back vs a top level qb. - give up some plays, make some others.

i'm not interested in watching a padded highlight reel vs the texans.  show me what he did against a-rodg in the super bowl...wait, we know how that game turned out.

i know i can't name the remaining 31 starting SS in the NFL; there would be something fundamentally wrong with my priorities at this point in my life if i could.  that's part of my point:  he's replaceable my any other starting SS in the league.

i guess ben going 5/7 for 84 yards, 4 yards rushing, and hitting santonio holmes in the corner of the end zone with a margin of error the size of a postage stamp for a game winning td with 0:35 remaining in super bowl 43 doesn't amount to being a reliable passing qb, and having a "huge effect on the super bowl."

i guess we can agree to disagree.  my irrational hate for troy = your irrational nuthugging for him...fair enough?

i don't even like the guy, i have no reason to like him. my team plays his team once every 4 years, and that's it. doesn't even play in the same conference.

i just hate when people who don't even understand what's going on in the field make silly claims like "troy polumalu can be replaced by any SS in the league."

and here's the guy's rap sheet:

7 pro bowls

5 all pros

1 defensive POY

it's irrational nuthugging to think that a guy who has those kind of accolades isn't replaceable by any other starter at his position?

you are off your rocker.

who do you root for anyway? did troy steal your lunch money at some point?

JPX 800 (5-AW)

Tracy

i don't even like the guy, i have no reason to like him. my team plays his team once every 4 years, and that's it. doesn't even play in the same conference.

i just hate when people who don't even understand what's going on in the field make silly claims like "troy polumalu can be replaced by any SS in the league."

and here's the guy's rap sheet:

7 pro bowls

5 all pros

1 defensive POY

it's irrational nuthugging to think that a guy who has those kind of accolades isn't replaceable by any other starter at his position?

you are off your rocker.

who do you root for anyway? did troy steal your lunch money at some point?

that rap sheet is due, in part, to playing in a great defensive scheme that puts him in the best possible situations to maximize his talent.

lol @ me not understanding what's going on on the field.  other than my palm currently being over by forehead, i'm not going to waste more time responding to that statement.

you're speaking in terms this massive gap in talent between troy and 2-32.  give me a break.  give me a hard working athletic guy with a great attitude, who will sell out and give anything for his teammates, put him in a great system with phenomenal coaching and management, and i'll show you a SS who can easily replace polamalu.  is it a coincidence that donte whitner flourished this year in SF after living in relative obscurity in buffalo?  do you think jim harbaugh's attitude was infectious?  given that same opportunity, how many guys on losing teams with teammates with shit attitudes could step up and make plays for a winning organization with great management/coaching?  i may be overstating his mediocrity, but you're definitely in the dark about the intangibles that make players play at their best.

who i root for is off topic, and probably a long winded argument for another day.  if you're curious, then start or bump a thread about favorite nfl teams.

ps - refer to donte whitner knocking out pierre thomas if you're curious as to how a SS should properly defend an end zone.

that rap sheet is due, in part, to playing in a great defensive scheme that puts him in the best possible situations to maximize his talent.

lol @ me not understanding what's going on on the field.  other than my palm currently being over by forehead, i'm not going to waste more time responding to that statement.

you're speaking in terms this massive gap in talent between troy and 2-32.  give me a break.  give me a hard working athletic guy with a great attitude, who will sell out and give anything for his teammates, put him in a great system with phenomenal coaching and management, and i'll show you a SS who can easily replace polamalu.  is it a coincidence that donte whitner flourished this year in SF after living in relative obscurity in buffalo?  do you think jim harbaugh's attitude was infectious?  given that same opportunity, how many guys on losing teams with teammates with shit attitudes could step up and make plays for a winning organization with great management/coaching?  i may be overstating his mediocrity, but you're definitely in the dark about the intangibles that make players play at their best.

who i root for is off topic, and probably a long winded argument for another day.  if you're curious, then start or bump a thread about favorite nfl teams.

ps - refer to donte whitner knocking out pierre thomas if you're curious as to how a SS should properly defend an end zone.

who you root for could easily explain your opinion on the matter, because it's something more than just you think he's overrated.

by the by, here are the numbers from last year:

whitner = 15 games 62 tackles, 1 FF, 2 Ints, 10 Passes Defensed, 2 Stuffs for -5 yards

polumalu = 16 games 91 tackles, 0 FF,  2 Ints, 14 Passes Defensed, 7 Stuffs for -14 yards

how about we go back 2 since whitner was apparently a bum in BUF?

whitner = 16 games 140 tackles, 1 FF, 1 Int, 7 PD, 1STF for -3 yards

polumalu = 14 games 63 tackles, 1 FF, 7 Ints (1 TD), 5STF for -15 yards

i'm not seeing how whitner suddenly turned into a stud, i'm seeing a guy who went to a better team and wa asked to do less. a safety shouldn't be high on the list of your tacklers because hopefully your LBers or corners are making tackles.

you gotta remember just because you don't pay attention to buffalo football doesn't mean there's not good players there. so take your hand off your head and smack some sense into your brain.

is there anyone else you would like to tell the class is overrated? or is this just a polumalu specific hatred?

JPX 800 (5-AW)

Tracy

who you root for could easily explain your opinion on the matter, because it's something more than just you think he's overrated.

by the by, here are the numbers from last year:

whitner = 15 games 62 tackles, 1 FF, 2 Ints, 10 Passes Defensed, 2 Stuffs for -5 yards

polumalu = 16 games 91 tackles, 0 FF,  2 Ints, 14 Passes Defensed, 7 Stuffs for -14 yards

how about we go back 2 since whitner was apparently a bum in BUF?

whitner = 16 games 140 tackles, 1 FF, 1 Int, 7 PD, 1STF for -3 yards

polumalu = 14 games 63 tackles, 1 FF, 7 Ints (1 TD), 5STF for -15 yards

i'm not seeing how whitner suddenly turned into a stud, i'm seeing a guy who went to a better team and wa asked to do less. a safety shouldn't be high on the list of your tacklers because hopefully your LBers or corners are making tackles.

you gotta remember just because you don't pay attention to buffalo football doesn't mean there's not good players there. so take your hand off your head and smack some sense into your brain.

is there anyone else you would like to tell the class is overrated? or is this just a polumalu specific hatred?

you're comparing whitner's stats in buffalo, a team which utilized the 3-4 for a short time in the 2010 season vs a player who has played in the 3-4 exclusively?  hmph.  and when did i say whitner was a bum?  i don't get it?  i said he was playing in relative obscurity, or in other words, he was relatively unknown while he was in buffalo.  he went to a team that played an entirely different brand of defense.  he wasn't asked to do less; he plays behind absolute studs, which supports his 29 less tackles than your man-crush.  and since you're penning my biography, the bills are on CBS every week when they play at 1 pm in upstate NY, so consider me well acquainted with the way they do business, and the talent level that roster possesses.

you're comparing whitner's stats in buffalo, a team which utilized the 3-4 for a short time in the 2010 season vs a player who has played in the 3-4 exclusively?  hmph.  and when did i say whitner was a bum?  i don't get it?  i said he was playing in relative obscurity, or in other words, he was relatively unknown while he was in buffalo.  he went to a team that played an entirely different brand of defense.  he wasn't asked to do less; he plays behind absolute studs, which supports his 29 less tackles than your man-crush.  and since you're penning my biography, the bills are on CBS every week when they play at 1 pm in upstate NY, so consider me well acquainted with the way they do business, and the talent level that roster possesses.

i'm just going to leave this whole argument because it's obvious that you don't understand what you're saying most of the time. good luck rooting against polamalu, i hope it brings you much pleasure everytime he fails to live up to your expectations.

i mean i'm from maryland, i don't even know ravens fans that share the same opinion you do. so enjoy you're irrational hate for the guy, and i will start up that thread about favorite NFL teams because i am eager to hear who you support and who plays SS on your team.

JPX 800 (5-AW)

Tracy

• Administrator
[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/284238/width/455/height/512][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/284238/width/455/height/512[/IMG][/URL] :-D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!