IGNORED

iron shaft fitting - Please help

Note: This thread is 4410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess i feel a little confused.  I am currently playing a TT XP s300 shaft.  I am a 10 handicap and hit the ball about 165 yards with a 6 iron.  My swing speed is ~80mph.  The mizuno shaft optimizer and fitters seem to agree that the TT XP or the PX 5.0 are the two best shafts for me.  However all online shaft fits put me in a lighter shaft like the following:

- TT Dynamic Gold SL
- TT GS 85
- KBS Tour 90

I guess i'm just looking for a little peace of mind

The XP is about 10% heavier than the other 3 shafts, but i wouldn't be as concerned about the weight as much as the properties. At your swing speed you might be better matched to a regular flex - R300.

They all work because they have a very high launch angle. Theoretically a lighter shaft might get you a little more distance. Overall the difference among the shafts are probably not that much. Try different ones, if possible, to see how they feel and react to your swing.

Thanks for the reply

I was wondering if the R flex would better suit me as I hit them in both my Driver & 3 wood, but have always been fit to a Stiff shaft and my swing speed classifies me as a "tweener".    I did hit the NSPro950 this weekend in an MC head and picked up 2mph in clubhead speed, but to be honest i don't seem to have any trouble getting the ball in the air and wonder if a lower launch shaft would be better.  Hit the PX 5.5 which was nice, but a little harsh on mis-hits.

Like you said i probably won't notice the difference enough to justify spending $300-$400 re-shafting and I'm probably not too far off with my current shaft, but with my smooth tempo would probably be better off in something lighter or maybe a regular flex in my current/comprable shaft.

Got to play around with some shaft combinations early this year, and shaft weight had a big effect on my clubhead speed and distance.

One set of irons was shafted with Distance Master steel, a 135 gr. shaft trimmed to firm flex. I hit the 4i about 135 yds. on average - a long shot of 170 - and the 7i about 100 to 120.

At another shop, I hit some irons shafted in TT GS-85 shafts (about 90 gr.), and the club almost jumped out of my hand. I got about 165 yds. with a 6i, but I sprayed the ball all over the place. Just not enough weight to feel when club was at the top.

A friend let me hit his J-36 6-iron shafted in Nippon NS Pro 1050GH in soft-stepped stiff (about 110 grams), and I hit it quite well. It actually felt smoother than my PX 5.0 shafts (Rflex, about 115 grams).

Also back on the radar is counterweighting, or putting a little extra weight in the butt of the club. This was common on a hit-and-miss basis in the 1970s among stronger players trying ot "quiet their hands."

Here's a summary of some Golfsmith tests on counterweighting done circa 2004:

http://www.shottalk.com/forum/shot-talk/24705-backweighting.html

As for your situation: unless you're having a problem with launch or ball shape, consider staying with the XP S300 shaft. With all the variety in shafts these days, there's multiple shaft models that will match up well for most golfers.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a faster swing speed then you and I play the KBS tour 90 S, simply because of the weighting and for how I like to flight the game. Its all about comfort and workability, make sure you get a chance to try out the shafts before you choose the one you want. Like others have said if you are happy with what you have now then stick with it.

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

I had XP S300's. Smooth but hit the ball very high for me. Too high for the prevailing winds. Could be the heads. Could be the swing. But I blame the shafts. Switched to PX 5.0 soft stepped once and love them. Still very early in the relationship, but I feel like I can control the height of my ball better. Both the XP's and the PX 5.0's are about the same weight -- lighter than most and heavy than a few. I like the lighter weight compared to my old DG S300's. I liked the PX's enough that I went with PX 5.0 flighted, not stepped, for my other irons. I'll play those when in mid-season form.

Please clarify: is 80 mph Swing Speed with a 6-iron?

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Does the Mizuno shaft optimizer recommend shafts that Mizuno doesn't carry?  I am pretty sure the GS85 and Tour 90 are not Mizuno shafts.

I am not sure what online fitter you are using but shaftfit is really dependant on what you put in. For low and mid flight you will get a PX.  For high flight I get the GS95. Changing the weight also can give weird results. If I select ultralight I get the gold SL. Select I don't know you get GS 95.  The GS95 is lighter. I would put almost zero value on what it is spitting out.

Originally Posted by kylep704

I guess i feel a little confused.  I am currently playing a TT XP s300 shaft.  I am a 10 handicap and hit the ball about 165 yards with a 6 iron.  My swing speed is ~80mph.  The mizuno shaft optimizer and fitters seem to agree that the TT XP or the PX 5.0 are the two best shafts for me.  However all online shaft fits put me in a lighter shaft like the following:

- TT Dynamic Gold SL

- TT GS 85

- KBS Tour 90

I guess i'm just looking for a little peace of mind

Originally Posted by x129

Does the Mizuno shaft optimizer recommend shafts that Mizuno doesn't carry?  ...

I think so since PX steel are not even on the custom shaft list on the current website.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I think that is a mistake. Here is the old list I have

http://media.mizunousa.com/images/pdf/10golf1_shafts_custom-options.pdf

If you go over to eBay there are a bunch of guys offering custom mizuno sets and the shaft list they provide is

2/ SHAFT and FLEX ....choose from the following shafts/flexes/ all with No Additional Up Charges:

DYNAMIC GOLD: (R300, S300,X100),

DYNAMIC GOLD SUPERLITE: (R300,S300)

DYNAMIC GOLD SENSICORE: (R300,S300)

DYNALITE GOLD XP: (R300, S300,X100)

DYNALITE GOLD XP SENSICORE: (R300,S300)

GS-95: (R300, S300)

KBS TOUR (Regular, Stifff or Extra Stiff)

........or choose from the following with upcharges of $10.00/club:

PROJECT X RIFLE STEEL non flighted only: (5.0,5.5,6.0,6.5)

NIPPON NS PRO 950: (Reg and Stiff)

or PROJECT X Graphite (4.5,5.0,5.5,6.0) at $20.00 upcharge per club

Now obviously this could be outdated but I would surprised by any manufactor not offering project x.

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

I think so since PX steel are not even on the custom shaft list on the current website.

I ordered my Mizunos through my local shop and got fitted for PX 6.0 (shaft optimizer).  Custom built from the Mizuno factory and to my door in 4 days.  So yes...Mizuno does offer PX shafts.

Note: This thread is 4410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!