IGNORED

Golf Extremes?

lamebums
Note: This thread is 6197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's where I got the idea, of putting down a laundry-list of the most extreme stuff that's happened in my golfing experience. Anyone's free to add additional ideas to the list, and their respective experiences.

Lowest Score : 78 at Meadowood Golf Course (62/100). Not really a spectacular achievement given the difficulty of the course, but doubly insulting to me because I did it with last year's clubs (a motley collection of cheap Wilsons, Accuitys, and noname brands). It just means that with more expensive clubs, I'm still hacking, I'm just hitting it further into the woods.

Highest Score : 102 at Fox Run (73/137). At least, this is the highest score in recent history, that I can remember to some degree of accuracy. The slope of the course certainly had something to do with it, but I blame myself for crappy course management - three balls in the water leading to a 12 on the 18th hole and ruining my day.

Worst Weather Played In... : This is a close one. It would have to be either the day I decided to hit 36 holes during a heat wave (95+ degrees, heat index ~110), or the day I tried to play 18 when it was 25 degrees and a howling wind (gusts up to 30-40 mph). I think the heat was worse though, since that was an 8am-8pm affair.

Most Balls Lost... : That's actually a good question. I have a hunch it's around 30 for an 18 hole round, but I lose the most when I play with my buddies--and we all dip into the same bucket of hitaway range balls--so it's difficult to say exactly who loses how many, but it's certainly a lot.

Long Ball : About 300 yards. I've never had a wacky drive that caromed off a cart path, a ball washer, three ducks and a chipmunk, but I have honest-to-god crushed the ball a few times this year. I know the distance without a SkyCaddie because the course says 305 yards to the center of the green, and I was sort of there. (I four-putted.)

(Of Honorable Mention...) Just today, I hit my 3 iron off the tee and beaned the guy in front of me with my tee shot. He was about 240 yards up, and I nailed him on the arm, apparently as he was about to take his next shot. Basically, I outdrove this dude with a 3 iron.

(Also...) 110 yards, par 3. A sand wedge is too much club, and I fly the green, landing in the woods about 30 yards behind the green.

(Furthermore...) 6 iron sand shot, from 190 yards. I intend to lay up leaving a 50 yard pitch...I completely nuke the 6 iron and land 3 feet from the hole. I make the birdie putt.

Shortest Drive : How about slicing the tee out from under the ball, missing the ball completely?

Longest Putt : When I was 7, I made a 60 footer on a downhill putt, from one end of the green to the other. Unfortunately, it's been all downhill since then.

Most Embarassing Moment : In recent history, that would have to be on the par-5 16th at Sugar Bay. I pulled out driver, intending to crush the ball as far as possible. I overswung, caught it on the heel and really thin, and the ball squirted out to the left. It beaned a concrete sign about 20 yards out and flew back at me, finishing some 30 yards behind the tee box.

The embarassing part is that I took a mulligan, re-hit, and did the exact same thing again.

(Honorable Mention...) Putting three balls out of bounds into a guy's backyard on the 6th at Meadowood, all within ten feet of each other. The guy gave me a really weird look and went back to cutting his grass (after throwing the balls back at me).

Funny/Hilarious/Genius/Whatever...

"Range balls? Why you hittin' range balls, man?" - The guy in front of me when I look for a wild iron shot, which happened to fly in his direction.

Running over my father's ball deliberately, and then relaxing while he tears himself apart looking for his ball in the rough, really not wanting to take a stroke for a lost ball.

"Daytona 5" (This deserves an explanation--there is a lake between the 16th and 17th holes at Sugar Bay which is completely surrounded by a cart path. Two of my buddies, while drunk on cheap vodka, decided to stage a cheap race, five laps around the lake. Ramming was apparently legal... at any rate, we plan to stage a re-creation of that this summer, if the greenskeeper doesn't skin us.)

"My game is so bad this year I had to have my ball retriever regripped!" - Me. Self-explanatory.

"So, how many mulligans did you take on that hole?" - Unknown, probably all of my friends have said this to me at some point.

"Putting." - One of my buddies after he flubs a chip, leaving his ball 30 yards short of the green

"Shitty." - Another one of my buddies, after all four of us chip, and all four balls roll off the other side of the green

"If the cart can go down the hill, it can go back up the hill." - Same guy, except drunk on vodka this time (talking about a 60 foot hill that is at least a 60 degree gradient and lined with signs that say "No Carts")

Man, if I think of more, I'll add it up.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I might not be very good at math but if you've lost 30 balls in one round I would venture a guess that you shot higher than a 102.

Forget your opponents; always play against par. - Sam Snead

Driver: R580 9.5 deg
3-Wood: 15.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)
5-Wood: 18.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)Irons: TA-5 3-PWWedge: CG-12 56 degPutter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

It beaned a concrete sign about 20 yards out and flew back at me, finishing some 30 yards behind the tee box.

Wouldn't this be your shortest drive? -30 yards

. I've hit my fair share of trees for negative yardage, but not off the tee yet. Funny stuff.

wow lamebums, I seem to remember you were a 25 handicap, now an 11.8? Did you put together some amazing rounds or what?

Yeah, and he was a 25 and his highest score EVER was a 102???

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

Worst Round I believe it was a 120 and that was the first time I ever played. My 2nd round after that was a 110 and after that i've never shot above a 105.
Best Round It was at Oakmont East (the club right next to and owned by Oakmont Country club) I shot a 76 during high school tryouts. The next day i shot a 96 and made the team by 1 shot over the next kid.
Longest Drive About 360. I hit my drive in a straight path at a tree about 200 yards down and heard it hit something hard. We go looking for it and can't find it anywhere. So i drop and continue on. We drive up after hitting our 2nd shots, me after hitting my 3rd and find my ball just off the green. I know it didn't hit the cart path because that was on the opposite side of the fairway. My friends let me play that ball but is till got a bogey
Longest Putt This isn't my longest but a long and good one. The green was a huge slant and i was like 35 feet away. I was putting across the slant so it was a huge curve and it went in somehow. we were all just in awe.
Most Embarrassing Moment Actually happened this pasted Thursday. I was teeing off with my driver. My one friend was on the tee behind me watching my shot and the other was getting his club from the carts that were parked about 5 yards to the left of the tee box and about 1 yard in front. I heeled my shot horrible and it went just over my friends head that was getting his club. I mean about 2-3 inches over his head. He was just like wtf. Me and my friend were laughing so hard. What sucked is there was a stream running right there and i lost my ball and had to hit from the tee again.
Funny Moments My friend hitting the ball washer about 20 feet ahead of him and it coming straight back and hitting him.

"Remember when I hit the pin and eagled this hole" A friend who just sank his triple bogey putt on a par 5.

"I need a hammer" Me talking about a the tee boxes of a course we were at.

Driver: 9.5* SQ Sumo Stiff
3W: 15* SQ Stiff
Irons: 3-PW R7 Stiff Flex
GW: X Tour Vintage 52 11 bounce
SW: X Tour Vintage 56 13 bounceLW: X Tour Vintage 60 8 BouncePutter: Monza CorzaBall: HX Tour 56

Yeah, and he was a 25 and his highest score EVER was a 102???

My highest score in

recent history . I tend to forget awful scores from years past, but I'd wager them to be in the 120's, higher if I truly played by the rules. As to my handicap dropping, I tend to go low at one course (shooting a 80, 82, and 86) while struggling at others. I used a free handicap index calculator I found on the internet, so I'd wager it's wrong in some way. But, it's a number, and not a guess, at least.

2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I might not be very good at math but if you've lost 30 balls in one round I would venture a guess that you shot higher than a 102.

It was one of those days where you stop keeping score after 6 holes

As to my handicap dropping, I tend to go low at one course (shooting a 80, 82, and 86) while struggling at others. I used a free handicap index calculator I found on the internet, so I'd wager it's wrong in some way. But, it's a number, and not a guess, at least.

If that's the case then I'll take a game with you and give you 8 strokes

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

If that's the case then I'll take a game with you and give you 8 strokes

I'd probably lose, but if you're ever in Northern Kentucky, I'll take you up on that.

Played a very tough course in New Hampshire called the Shattuck and I shot 56 - 40 - 54 for the 27 holes we played. Lost a lot of balls on that front side - both times.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

Note: This thread is 6197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!