IGNORED

Playing from the back tees as a beginner?

Dan Garcia
Note: This thread is 4391 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by walk18

Dan, I live 2 minutes from Foxford and play there all the time. That course is a bear from the tips. Wouldn't you at least want a chance to break 100? There's more than enough challenge from the gold tees.

walk - you are completely right, it was very challenging from the blacks. Given that it was a free green fee compliments of the Golf show, my buddy and I decided to do the back tees for the challenge. The second time through I got a 117 off the back tees, which I was very proud of. I wonder how I would have done off the forward tees?

Is this a parody thread?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I shoot in the mid 80's and only play the back tee's to change it up every once and awhile. My score is usually the same or a few strokes higher from the back tees. As a new golfer I would play the front tees, get you swing down, get your score down, and build your confidence. Playing from the back would be frustrating to most, even my friends who shoot like me or better don't play the back but every once and a while for a different perspective of the course. Its your game, so do as you like, but I think you will actually enjoy the game more when you start shooting lower scores, which will help your mental game a ton.

Originally Posted by Dan Garcia

I snuck in 9 at Maple Meadows in Wooddale today, and per your recommendations, .... From the white tees, I shot 3 pars, 4 bogeys and 2 double bogeys.

That would mean 8 over par for a  42 or 43, depending on which of their three 9's you played. That means that off the whites, you played to a 16 that day, according to my CDGA handicapper . Meanwhile, back at Foxford Hills from the blacks, you played to a 48 the first round and a 28 the second round.

Could Maple Meadows be a links style course with few trees?  Whatever, 42 is a nice score for 7 months of golf. Congrats!

So if your first post had said ..."I'm a 16 handicap and play from the blacks, OK?",  well maybe, but I'm gonna go with what that scratch golfer who saw your game suggested, to you. Move up.

Honestly start playing from around 6,000 yards as I find it hard to believe that you are not slowing anyone down when you are hitting 3 full shots into the green. Also, if you are serious about getting better play the ladies tees every once and a while, may seem weird but this is a very common technique used by lots of good players as hit forces you to hit shots and also used to help people who are "afraid to go low". The reason this works is because your brain gets used to the idea of writing low numbers down consistently.

honestly playing courses is a blast and play them but as a beginner I think you may just be better off going to the range more. shooting 40-60 over is just frustrating and its gonna cost you more money. Go to the range more often and that will help improve confidence as well. Thats my opinion on what you didn't ask. I think if you can reach the par 4 in 2 shots then play whatever tees you can do that on. If you are struggling to get there in 2 then move up. if you're just off the green and 2 chipping and 3 putting on every hole then the tee doesn't matter a whole lot. Score doesnt exactly translate into distance. drive for show, put for dough but like i said i think if you cant get there in 2 then move up but as a fellow beginner i will say I have only started really playing real courses like 3 months ago. I would play some here and there but i benifitted alot more from an hour at the range every day after work than I ever benifitted from getting my hopes crushed when counting up my 3 digit score.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Note: This thread is 4391 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!