IGNORED

Cleveland in financial trouble?

Note: This thread is 4111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Cleveland has had some misfortune, some self inflicted: They made one of the ugliest irons ever--the VAS series Tiger stops using their wedges Irons and wedges with a finish that wears off quickly-- black pearl series Roger Cleveland leaves for Callaway....Callaway make a very big deal about this Vijay very publically didn't like the Hibore when it first came out, staying with the Launcher Cleveland is unable to build on the success of the Launcher Hibore series just as Vijay's game goes into decline Cleveland focuses on lighter drivers for more speed. Men think ultra lighter driver=wimpier. Nobody wants to spend $300 on a driver that looks "old" sacrificing potential distance and accuracy

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Originally Posted by uttexas

Cleveland has had some misfortune, some self inflicted:

They made one of the ugliest irons ever--the VAS series

Tiger stops using their wedges

Irons and wedges with a finish that wears off quickly-- black pearl series

Roger Cleveland leaves for Callaway....Callaway make a very big deal about this

Vijay very publically didn't like the Hibore when it first came out, staying with the Launcher

Cleveland is unable to build on the success of the Launcher Hibore series just as Vijay's game goes into decline

Cleveland focuses on lighter drivers for more speed. Men think ultra lighter driver=wimpier.

Nobody wants to spend $300 on a driver that looks "old" sacrificing potential distance and accuracy

The VAS was out almost 20 years ago and since then the TA1 was the number one iron on the PGA Tour for awhile. Probably not too many people who didn't even know Cleveland made wedges have ever even seen a VAS. Their TA lines still use the VAS technology. The lack of a white driver and not paying people a fortune to use it will possibly be their undoing. Then again Adams black pearl irons were even more useless (or so I've read) and they were taken over my TMAG. I wonder how Miura's black irons will do.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I agree with Sean and I also think Cleveland hasn't marketed their forged CB and MB at all. I think they're on the right track now, if they can survive. When I was a kid, milk was good for you as was beef. The world was going into an ice age. People waved the American flag and everybody wanted to be rich in a free society. Now it seems everything is opposite, including golf irons with manufacturing techniques that save lots of money. I don't think milk is good or bad. I prefer eating beef to fish. We ain't going into an ice age or an oven. I still wave my flag and I believe free enterprise is best. I prefer a quality made golf club even though I can't swing it worth a flip and I would like to see American build and buy quality items.

ive been hankering after some 588 wedges since the new range was announce

I never knew they did irons,..................

Their drivers are fugly

Their putters are immense

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Tried to order some 588 wedges with a cleveland rep last ngiht through my local pro shop, he has none in stock and apparently his boss has stated that no items will be re-stocked for further notice

I tried to find out why but the rep said he hadnt been told anything mroe than what he told us, but that it "didnt look good"

ironically i went to dicks yesterday to get a full set of cleveland 588's...they had 3, yes, 3 wedges left and was told that they were going to backorder but decided not due to 'unforseen circumstances which made us change our decision NOT to stock more until further notice from corporate'....don't know what that means but, that CERTAINLY doesn't sound good.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

hmmmmm tricky times

It's definitely bad news if they're not restocking the wedges, as that is the one category that Cleveland dominates and where they make almost all their money.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I'm not sure how Adams figured into those numbers, but on their own I'm sure they did quite well based on the buzz they created with the RBZ line of woods.

The acquisition hasn't closed yet, and Adams still trades as a separate company - Taylormade's financials are all their own.

Taylormade just really made the next jump and spent a whole crap load of money on marketing that other companies didn't.  This happened in the hockey world when a company came in started kicking ass in sales bought out a the best companies in each category and then they faded away into one of the regular top 5 brands.  I suspect the same will come with Taylormade.  Once Cleveland, Callaway, Ping, ect. start pumping money into advertising like Taylormade they will start to get back to normal.

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

• 6 months later...
I think most people that hear the name Cleveland, and picture there wedges. I picked up a launcher 5 wood and it was one of those things that just fit. I had never had that kind of penitrating flight from a club. After one round with it, I had a new favorite club in my bag. I now have Cleveland everything. I could not be more happy with them. I believe they are one of those brand names that will always be around. Guys like Keegan bradely and GMac using their clubs give them pretty great tour cred as well. Also I respect the fact that their clubs (specifically the drivers) do not come with a tool kit.

Note: This thread is 4111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!