IGNORED

My new favorite affordable Myrtle Beach course

Note: This thread is 4101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess some people missed the title that said "Affordable".....

While Caledonia is without a doubt one of the best courses I've ever played, it's not one that I (nor most people) could play every weekend at over $100 a round.  I can walk on Aberdeen and play for under $40 with $25 replays anytime I get the urge.  It was one of the better "under $50" courses that I've played down there.  I don't like Waterway Hills, don't like Man O' War and didn't like most of the courses that are built in sub-divisions for that price.  I go to play out of town to enjoy the scenery, not look at houses the entire round.

My most enjoyable rounds have been at Caledonia, Thistle, World Tour, Wild Wing and Aberdeen.  I also enjoyed TPC, although it was more because of the wildlife than the golf.  Thieving fox squirrels and crows, along with the occasional gator on the tee box kept things interesting.

If we want to talk about favorite courses in the area, I'd have to put Caledonia and Thistle as two of my favorite tracks.  The only time I didn't enjoy Thistle was when it was cart path only after heavy rains.  I wish they'd have just let me walk that day, it would have been a lot less walking and a lot more enjoyable.

I guess some people missed the title that said "Affordable"..... .....  I also enjoyed TPC, although it was more because of the wildlife than the golf.  Thieving fox squirrels .....

For a few years, the TPC actually provided each golfer with a Nature Valley granola bar in your cart as part of the round. It didn't take long for the fox squirrels to figure this out, and they would hide in groups in the trees right around the hole #1 tee-boxes. As soon as you parked your cart and headed to the first tee-box of the round, they would quickly race over to your cart and take the free granola bar the course provided each player. They have since stopped providing players with a free granola bar in your cart bc of this.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

For a few years, the TPC actually provided each golfer with a Nature Valley granola bar in your cart as part of the round. It didn't take long for the fox squirrels to figure this out, and they would hide in groups in the trees right around the hole #1 tee-boxes. As soon as you parked your cart and headed to the first tee-box of the round, they would quickly race over to your cart and take the free granola bar the course provided each player. They have since stopped providing players with a free granola bar in your cart bc of this.

That would explain why 3 years ago, one of them tore my buddy's towel, wallet and everything else out of the cubby to get to an unopened Powerbar that he had in there.  They knew exactly where people kept the good stuff, and knew the packaging perfectly.  We found many of them in the cart that day, but only that one was seriously aggressive towards getting to where the good stuff was.  The same friend left a pack of opened crackers on the seat of the cart on the 1st hole, and a huge crow came in and ripped it apart, leaving a huge mess as well.

That would explain why 3 years ago, one of them tore my buddy's towel, wallet and everything else out of the cubby to get to an unopened Powerbar that he had in there.  They knew exactly where people kept the good stuff, and knew the packaging perfectly.  We found many of them in the cart that day, but only that one was seriously aggressive towards getting to where the good stuff was.  The same friend left a pack of opened crackers on the seat of the cart on the 1st hole, and a huge crow came in and ripped it apart, leaving a huge mess as well.

Yup. The free courtesy granola bars were placed in that cubby of the golf carts. The squirrels knew exactly where they were after a very short while.

• 2 months later...

Next time you're in the MB area, Bullitt -- you might want to consider the "south" end of the strand.  We spent years vacationing on the north end until we happened onto the courses from Hwy 501 south.  They're the BEST.  Check out some awesome "affordables" like:  Willbrook, Pawleys Plantation, River Club, Founders Club, Heritage Blackmoor, Tradition .. and some exceptional ones for a bit higher greens fees, but you don't want to miss -- Caledonia & True Blue.  You might also want to consider the golf discount card now open to non-residents that would be well worth the investment as up to 4 golfers can take advantage per round for one membership.  Best, KRP

Originally Posted by KRP18

Next time you're in the MB area, Bullitt -- you might want to consider the "south" end of the strand.  We spent years vacationing on the north end until we happened onto the courses from Hwy 501 south.  They're the BEST.  Check out some awesome "affordables" like:  Willbrook, Pawleys Plantation, River Club, Founders Club, Heritage Blackmoor, Tradition .. and some exceptional ones for a bit higher greens fees, but you don't want to miss -- Caledonia & True Blue.  You might also want to consider the golf discount card now open to non-residents that would be well worth the investment as up to 4 golfers can take advantage per round for one membership.  Best, KRP

I've only been out there twice with some friends, but the 3 courses I bolded are the ones we played over those two years.  I can attest to them being great and affordable.

I will keep Caledonia and True Blue in mind for next year.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by KRP18

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I've only been out there twice with some friends, but the 3 courses I bolded are the ones we played over those two years.  I can attest to them being great and affordable.

I will keep Caledonia and True Blue in mind for next year.

you have the big two nailed, both worth the money if you have disposable income. Heritage, Willbrook and PP are the best of the rest IMO. we have stayed down south 5 of the last 6 years and love it there. one day per trip we venture north to pick some top course and dinner...but south is my groups favorite place.

Prestwick is an underated course that is easy to get to from Pawlies Island.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I played Heritage Club for the first time yesterday. That place is nice. It's on adjacent property to Caledonia. The course is not as well manicured as Caledonia (although it's very nice), but I believe the layout is much more interesting and fun. I loved it. Can't wait to get back. If you are staying south, I think Heritage Club is a must play.

Planning a return trip in June- Thanks for the recommendation on Aberdeen. Haven't played there yet in nearly 25 years of visits (not every year, though). I always had a soft spot for Raccoon Run when it was open. It was the first course my Dad and I every played down there, and we always seemed to get back to play it. Even if it kind of turned into a bit of a goat track at the end. It was LOOOOONG- even from the regular tees. At the time it was likely among the longest in the Southeast. BUT- there was usually quite a lot of roll so it may have been scary on the card but it played no harder than most others. Played quite a few of some others, and haven't really picked a real favorite. I enjoyed the Heathland and Moorland, Long Bay, MB Nationals. Some of the others I can't even remember- last trip down with some friends we played Waterway, Possum Trot, one of the Wild Wings- maybe Avocet(?) and Arrowhead on the last day since it was close to the airport and had a nice locker room so we could shower and cleanup before getting on the plane home. Might only get to play 3 times in the week, so I'll check out Aberdeen and some of the other non-condo ones I haven't gotten to as of yet. AND it WON'T be the $100 courses, have to go the affordable route this trip.

I've played Heritage, Traditions and River Club about 3 years ago, but I was on a 4 day, 8 course golf spree so by the end of the 2nd day, most of the golf courses were just a blur.  By the 3rd day, I was exhausted and on autopilot, so I probably didn't enjoy the courses as much as I would have if I was playing a single round for the day.

Hi IntheHole,  my name is Erik From Ohio and I am a regional rep for Tee Time Golf Pass. This years booklet has some nice courses from Mrytle Beach where you can save some good money. They are Azalea Sands, Beachwood, Diamond Back, Indigo Creek, Island Green, and River Oaks.. Also the nice thing about you living in PA is if you buy the book which is the Mid-Atlantic Edition you would be able to use it for both Mrytle Beach and PA. If you would like to see the website please message me back and i'll send it too you so you can see the specifics as far as how much you save at each course.

Please take no offense to this, but there isn't a course on that list that is worth more than $45 to play. Sorry to say.

Hi Erik ... sorry here too, but have to agree wholeheartedly with MyrtleBeachGolf.  Not one of the courses are more than $45.  In fact, MBG was generous with the fee outlay.  These are the courses the "Play & Stay" groups put in the mix to keep the costs "affordable" for the non-discerning golfers.  They all pretty much -- well -- suck.  The worst of the worst IMO though are Azalea Sands (you may as well tee up on your local highway) --- it's boring and just bad "real estate" -- and Island Green has a couple holes to put on the brochure, and the other 16 are pitiful!  The rates are always low, so it's jammed, jammed, jammed with youngsters and oldsters.  Nothing at all against either group of people, of course -- but when they're all together over 14 or so holes you can imagine the pace of play and those who aren't exactly following the PGA rule book.  If you're just going out to hit the ball around and are really on a budget, there are still many, many better courses in the Grand Stand area that would be a better and more enjoyable play.

If I can get a group together this spring (my normal group has fallen apart because of heath/unemployment issues), I think I am going to get the 4 night/ all 4 courses at Barefoot.  $300-$400 per person for the room and golf.  You really can't beat that deal for good courses.

The courses are:

Barefoot Norman

Barefoot Love

Barefoot Fazio

Barefoot Dye

Thoughts on the Barefoot packages they offer?

Yeah, I didn't want to offend anyone. What I wanted to say is those are the 5 worst courses in this city. I was being nice with $45. I figure in this day and age, any course where you can play 18 with a cart for $40 is reasonable. You have to think most courses charge you $18-$22 for use of the cart. So, $20 greens fees, $20 cart fees. Pretty reasonable anywhere. However, those courses listed are 'must avoid' courses. Not 'must play'.

Yeah, I didn't want to offend anyone. What I wanted to say is those are the 5 worst courses in this city. I was being nice with $45. I figure in this day and age, any course where you can play 18 with a cart for $40 is reasonable. You have to think most courses charge you $18-$22 for use of the cart. So, $20 greens fees, $20 cart fees. Pretty reasonable anywhere. However, those courses listed are 'must avoid' courses. Not 'must play'.

If I can get a group together this spring (my normal group has fallen apart because of heath/unemployment issues), I think I am going to get the 4 night/ all 4 courses at Barefoot.  $300-$400 per person for the room and golf.  You really can't beat that deal for good courses. The courses are:   Barefoot Norman Barefoot Love  Barefoot Fazio  Barefoot Dye  Thoughts on the Barefoot packages they offer?

If you can stay on property and play all 4 courses for $400, it's a solid deal. The Dye Club is semi-private, and it's perfect condition shows it. It also hosts the "Monday after the Masters" celebrity charity tourney. The Love course is my favorite layout. I would play there every day. Both Fazio and Norman have a few interesting holes, but are clearly the lesser of the 4 courses. $400 for 4 nights and 4 rounds is a good package. Those courses are almost always over $100 each.

Well, I just came across this site while perusing options for our June trip: http://www.mbga.com/ They certainly pull no punches on opinions about courses. As for Aberdeen and the fact that I have not played it in the 25 years of visiting? Well, I HAVE played it.. when it was Buck Creek!

Yeah, it gets expensive once the season starts, but early March rates are pretty cheap.  I wish my partners would get back on their feet, because we were playing at least one course a month down there and having a blast last year, although last year's course choices weren't my favorites because one was short on money.

If I can find someone to go down there with me, I'd play down there quite a bit more, it's only 1.5 hrs from the house.  I did get to play World Tour twice this year and Thistle twice, along with Aberdeen, Wild Wing, Waterway Hills, Grande Dunes and Man O' War.  I also played Keith Hills and some crappy track Sandy Ridge a couple times which are north of here.  The rest I played here locally and just down the road in Southern Pines/Pinehurst.

Note: This thread is 4101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!