IGNORED

Is 39 Too Old?

pipergsm
Note: This thread is 981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Uh, yeah..... Just to give you an idea what you're up against, I took a look at the qualifiers for my state AMATEUR championship.  In this one qualifier, the winner shot 67.  That's right, 5-under for an AMATEUR qualifier. Not the championship, just a qualifier. Oh, and #2?  He shot 67 too.  The next 3?  They shot 70.  Highest score to qualify was 74. No worries though, since you're giving instructions to pros now, I'm sure it's just a matter of hours before your handicap drops from 8 to +5.

None taken, enjoy your golf.

Robert Something

You said in one of your blogs that you were going to be scratch before the end of the year. How's that going?

If I am right, you will find that your handicap isn't moving much.

Also why the spin out at the bottom? I noticed you do a lot of the same crap I do, super short backswing, failing to turn around your spine properly, poor extension through the shot (almost looks like a little chicken wing :) ), and lastly spinning out, although yours is quite extreme. (wonder if that's symptomatic of self-teaching)

I don't doubt that you are an intelligent person which is why you think you can just 'figure' all this out, but I think the smartest people are often the most delusional. :P

Things we have in common are hitting lots and lots of golf balls and having a swing that is reasonably on plane so we can hit a lot of great shots, draw and fade at will pretty easily and get in grooves on the range where everything is going where you want it. Unfortunately an unbalanced swing where you are kind of all over will never be consistent.

But don't take my word for it, go play 18 on a fairly difficult course... Point made.

You said in one of your blogs that you were going to be scratch before the end of the year. How's that going?

Been sick for 12 years, so means a limited time spent and current season I could play once a week or less only or body shut down. worst season as far in playtime. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_fatigue_syndrome (CFS) Yea that video is a year old, horrible swing. and yes I took local lessons 2 years ago made a 1 handicap swing in spain last spring 2011 measured by others, figure my back would kill me if I used that for the distance I wanted so I went on to dig it out and the video you posted is from one of those sessions. Goal is still the same, scratch golf. My health is however setting a big limit on practice time and recovery due to it affects cordination, focus and you know life. I am on the right track just take a lot longer than I wished due to above reasons. Had a local competition ending the season a 9 hole one with BBQ after, 9 hole was a long driving on fairway prize, won it and felt good. After being a short hitter 3 years ago 180-220y to 260-290 current season and working trough the mechanics and defining the golf swing during the process I am doing rather well on the things I want to do in golf. I post a video in the spring when season opens here which now is 6 and a half month away.;-) Last swing I had, the day after the 9 hole compeition, really tired cold and rained and range closed but wanted a video to document so hit a couple of my own balls. There be some changes I be making during the spring, set up will now change as I found out how to make impact the way I want and some adjustment in the backswing will happen mainly due to a set up change, I never wanted textbook but effective and consistent making impact. [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-wLEkB-d0s[/VIDEO] This is the guy I coach, changed his swing in 3 weeks. [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1W11EgGqaw[/VIDEO]

Robert Something

That is not a golf swing thats going to break 80 consistently let alone 70.[quote name="soon_tourpro" url="/t/58187/is-39-too-old/90#post_777862"] [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-wLEkB-d0s[/VIDEO]EO][/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

That is not a golf swing thats going to break 80 consistently let alone 70.

I'm not sure how you even get to an 8 with that much lateral movement.

Originally Posted by wadesworld

I'm not sure how you even get to an 8 with that much lateral movement.

I got a whole slew of 12 handicapers from my home course lined up to take his lunch money :)

A lotta bad stuff going on in that swing! I'll give him a little bit of a break with his mentioned health issues. He may be swaying more than turning due to back problems??? I guess if you play a really short course and can chip and putt halfway decent you can get to an 8,,,,,,I guess?

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I got a whole slew of 12 handicapers from my home course lined up to take his lunch money :) A lotta bad stuff going on in that swing! I'll give him a little bit of a break with his mentioned health issues. He may be swaying more than turning due to back problems??? I guess if you play a really short course and can chip and putt halfway decent you can get to an 8,,,,,,I guess?

Rest of game is solid. Health is a big issue, most of times I cant even hold a spoon and eat soup when it happens. one reason I spent most time working the shorter game as it dont require as much energy. lateral movement dont matter as the question is, do you get to impact or not properly. I played in match play vs equal or better opponents, seldom if ever loose. I played for fun mainly for most of my golf. 3 years ago decided to overhaul my technique and found golf instruction basically is filled with theory and myth and is highly complicated. so I went with a Mike Austin based swing principle as it made most sense and even there there is confusion. so I worked to define the golf motion and as I done so there is some cut dry truth in regard to popular theory. Yea you can move laterally and add power while still improve accuracy. here is Hans doing just that. [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8exQXzg27AY[/VIDEO]

Robert Something

• Administrator
Originally Posted by soon_tourpro

3 years ago decided to overhaul my technique and found golf instruction basically is filled with theory and myth and is highly complicated.

Not all golf instruction is "filled with theory and myth" nor is all golf instruction "highly complicated."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not all golf instruction is "filled with theory and myth" nor is all golf instruction "highly complicated."

Oh, please give an example of that then. I taking lessons from someone really good at what they do, I met PGA trainers who doing work with players and they dont know what they are doing. They either make the swing hurt their back or making it a short swing. First session I had with the golf pro who spent years playing I added for him 50 yards with driver and 30 with irons with one session. Last round of the season the 6 october we had a local competition at the club, 7celsisus, cold rain and really wet conditions. 9 hole a long driving price was on fairway, agaisnt half as old kids I won that. Not bad for a sick old lateral moving all over the place swing ;-)

Robert Something

The position of the feet scream "over the top". Oh well let the guy dream, there is however no way possible a swing like that can work on uneven lies just can't.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by soon_tourpro

Oh, please give an example of that then.

Uhhh...

On the off chance you are: http://thegolfevolution.com/ . :P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

39 isn't too old for 1 if you're healthy, naturally athletic, have tons of time on your hands and always have a great attitude.  I don't know many people like that.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

wow, well i hate to disappoint you, but you probably will never play with the likes of schwarzel and mickelson, and that's even if you started playing at age 3.  don't mean to be rude, but you're being a little naive about the sport.  being 39 doesn't really help your odds either.

i actually think 39 may be too old to learn golf, too.  i don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but how many forumers can remember when they learned?  it sucked!  golf is a lot more fun once you get your ball striking down, but before then it's just damn annoying!  topping a ball and riding your cart 30 yards to hit again.  if i had to start all over now, i'd quit in a heartbeat.

i am 30 and played when i was a lot younger (pre-teen) for 5-6 years.  i hated it though and didn't start again until last year.  i remembered the mechanics so i picked up where i left off within reason, however i had a few buddies who had never played that really wanted to get into it when i did.  none of them lasted.  most of them didn't have the patience, and some of them just could not physically figure out the mechanics of the golf swing.  think about how it's easier for children to learn a foreign language than it is for adults.  it's kind of the same concept.

you may have a higher threshold for patience then those guys, either way you definitely can learn.  i'm just speculating it's going to be very hard, and there will probably be times when you seriously consider quitting.

Originally Posted by tuffluck

wow, well i hate to disappoint you, but you probably will never play with the likes of schwarzel and mickelson, and that's even if you started playing at age 3.  don't mean to be rude, but you're being a little naive about the sport.  being 39 doesn't really help your odds either.

i actually think 39 may be too old to learn golf, too.  i don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but how many forumers can remember when they learned?  it sucked!  golf is a lot more fun once you get your ball striking down, but before then it's just damn annoying!  topping a ball and riding your cart 30 yards to hit again.  if i had to start all over now, i'd quit in a heartbeat.

i am 30 and played when i was a lot younger (pre-teen) for 5-6 years.  i hated it though and didn't start again until last year.  i remembered the mechanics so i picked up where i left off within reason, however i had a few buddies who had never played that really wanted to get into it when i did.  none of them lasted.  most of them didn't have the patience, and some of them just could not physically figure out the mechanics of the golf swing.  think about how it's easier for children to learn a foreign language than it is for adults.  it's kind of the same concept.

you may have a higher threshold for patience then those guys, either way you definitely can learn.  i'm just speculating it's going to be very hard, and there will probably be times when you seriously consider quitting.

i picked up the game 5 years ago when i was 37.   i loved learning how to play and enjoyed watching myself get better.   yes, i started where i would sometimes yet a 20 yard duff, but that's part of the game.

thus, i 100% disagree with your comment about 39 being too old to learn the game.  its not as old as you think, wait and ask yourself that when you're that age.  the fact that you'd have quit had you had to start all over at the tender age of 30 shows your mental age is quite a bit younger than your physical age.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

That isn't what I said. Learning from scratch at 39 is going to be much harder than learning at 15 or 25, etc. I don't need to ask myself that question at 39 because I have already learned how to play. Don't take what I say personally, if you have the drive (pun intended) you will learn, it's just not going to be easy. I truly believe most people that don't start before 30 will never be weekend golfers, but there are certainly people who will prove me wrong. Also, not sure how starting and stopping playing golf has anything to do with intelligence level...

Originally Posted by tuffluck

That isn't what I said. Learning from scratch at 39 is going to be much harder than learning at 15 or 25, etc. I don't need to ask myself that question at 39 because I have already learned how to play. Don't take what I say personally, if you have the drive (pun intended) you will learn, it's just not going to be easy. I truly believe most people that don't start before 30 will never be weekend golfers, but there are certainly people who will prove me wrong.

Also, not sure how starting and stopping playing golf has anything to do with intelligence level...

because that's exactly what you said.. you said if you had to learn from scratch at 30, you'd have quit.  and, from someone what started at 37, i believe you are wrong.  and also making it out seem like 39 is much older than it really is.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Note: This thread is 981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!