IGNORED

Is 39 Too Old?

pipergsm
Note: This thread is 951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I'm 39 years old and started learning the game very recently.

I've always been good at technical sports and I'm in good fysical shape.

despite my age and the fact that I'm basically teaching myself how to play (video-instructions, research on the internet), I have the feeling I'm advancing rather quickly (I do intend to contact a pro-teacher though, but living in thailand where many people dont speak decent english doesn't make it easy).

My first few real games (I've only played 5 so far) were very disappointing in the sense that I seemed to be unable to transfer the results from the driving range to the course. I guess that's a matter of game-practice.

I'm quite sure that, once I manage to make this transfer successfully, I should be able to play a 1 digit handicap, maybe even par (on a relatively easy course that is!)

I'd like to know if there are people with similar experiences and what the general/realistic expectations are for someone starting to play the game at such a late age (since most people seem to start very young).

All reactions are welcome!

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally Posted by pipergsm

too old to be able to play under par, maybe even play real money tournaments or turn pro?

Never to late.

Going low at your home course is step one meaning shooting 63-68 regulary if you are going Pro.

Getting scratch or even a + index is np even at your age.

going Pro however is a different game and its pretty tough.

senior tour at age 50 is doable for you, the other tour, forget it.

Robert Something

I have a friend who is 49 and play a 2 handicap ...he is 5'10, he still can hit 300yards ..to maintain his physical , he hits the gym 3x a week .
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Par: remotely possible,  maybe 1 in a million.  Make money playing golf: superball lottery odds, 1 in hundred million.  Enjoy and improve, those are the goals. Have a nice retirement in T'land and all the cheap golf there. And i have played with many very good Thai golfers so the game is well established there.

Hi everyone,

I'm 39 years old and started learning the game very recently.

I've always been good at technical sports and I'm in good fysical shape.

despite my age and the fact that I'm basically teaching myself how to play (video-instructions, research on the internet), I have the feeling I'm advancing rather quickly (I do intend to contact a pro-teacher though, but living in thailand where many people dont speak decent english doesn't make it easy).

My first few real games (I've only played 5 so far) were very disappointing in the sense that I seemed to be unable to transfer the results from the driving range to the course. I guess that's a matter of game-practice.

I'm quite sure that, once I manage to make this transfer successfully, I should be able to play a 1 digit handicap, maybe even par (on a relatively easy course that is!)

I'd like to know if there are people with similar experiences and what the general/realistic expectations are for someone starting to play the game at such a late age (since most people seem to start very young).

All reactions are welcome!

I'd say the only thing you're too old for is the PGA Tour. Everything else - including the Champions Tour is, in theory, within reach. 11 years of intense practice, playing and playing in competitions (very important), and who knows? Larry Nelson didn't play his first round of golf until he was 21 & 15 years later he was the US Open champ. Let him be your inspiration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Nelson

I don't have too many regrets in my life, but one of them is listening to people when I was a teenager who told me I could never make it to the tour. I was a 5-handicap at the age of 16 but never got much better than that (got it to a 2) because I believed them & gave up on aiming high. I should have ignored those people and worked my butt off.

Enjoy the journey!

My (EX) Father in Law was a 4 handicap and he didn't start playing until he retired at 55.....used to tick me off....180 off the tee, 150 second shot.  pitch on to the green...one putt for par..

I took up the game in February of this year.  I'll turn 65 in July.  No, you aren't too old, by a long shot. Take some lessons, even it you are overseas.

When I was in Thailand, many years ago, there were enough people who spoke enough English so that you could get what you needed.  I found that

a good golf pro can solve a lot a problems in a few minutes, when I would spend hours on the range trying to figure it out.

• Upvote 1

39 is a good age to start the game.

You will be able to enjoy it and may even get to a single figure handicap.

But if you don't, who cares?

Nothing wrong with playing to 24 or 18 or whatever.

You will NOT be able to make money playing golf. That is a fact.

If someone suggest the Champions Tour, just go to PGATour.com and see who the 39 year old players are.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I just started at a 36.  I  am 40 now and went from my first 9 ( at a tough course) of 122, to my not so great 52-53 average for 9.  I am getting better each year but it takes awhile.  Some lessons are in order for sure.

39 is a good age to start the game. You will be able to enjoy it and may even get to a single figure handicap. But if you don't, who cares? Nothing wrong with playing to 24 or 18 or whatever. You will NOT be able to make money playing golf. That is a fact. If someone suggest the Champions Tour, just go to PGATour.com and see who the 39 year old players are.

Ding ding ding...... We have a winner! Exactly right. If you can't beat them now, why in the world would you expect to beat them in 11 years. Have fun, enjoy the game for what it offers you.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do wonder though - and I mean this sincerely, not as a condescending suggestion - if you really love the game so much that you want nothing more than go pro, or if this is a product of an obsessive personality...? If you just started out, it is a bit intriguing that you would fall in love with the game so deep and so quick.

IMO to be on any tour would take a miracle but to be scratch...it comes to your talent and work ethic. i started playing 5 years ago at 38 and have had acactly 2 lessons...which is dumb. if i want to go lower i am going to need some help.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I started when I was 46 (basic couch potato desk jockey - you're in better shape than me & I have a bad back on top of that).     Been playing a year and a half and have gone about it same as you - there are so many online & TV resources available today, it's possible to self-teach yourself the game & become reasonably proficient if you put in the time (a video camera is your best friend).      I have a severe case of golf OCD - play 3-4 times per week, so my learning curve is shorter than most, and I have a long ways to go I realize, but to answer your question ... you have 7 years on me, and you're definitely NOT too old to become a very good player ifyou're committed to it.    Not sure if you have the body left to become scratch, but thats ultimately up to you (I don't).

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

Ding ding ding...... We have a winner!

Exactly right. If you can't beat them now, why in the world would you expect to beat them in 11 years.

Have fun, enjoy the game for what it offers you.

This is a great point. I remember thinking the same thing when I was 39, that, with 11 years of hard work I could make the Champions Tour...

...until I realized I would be playing against Freddie Couples, Hal Sutton, Corey Pavin, John Cook...and other guys my age that could spot me 5 a side & still kick my butt.

If you haven't done so yet, try to get to a local Tour event, even a Nationwide Tour event, and watch how well these guys hit the ball. It's a serious reality-check.

Hi everybody,

thanks a lot for all your reactions.

Let me just clarify a few points : I don't dream about acually winning real PGA tournaments or beating players like Mickelson or Schwarzel.

I just believe it's not entirely impossible to actually join the tour and maybe have a few top 20 or top 40 finishes,

even when starting at my age and without having to practice for 10 or 15 years before being able to shoot under par

and join the tour.

When I analyse my own progress on the driving range in just a few months time (not yet transferred to the course, I admit!),

I just can't believe that it would take me 10 years before being able to play scratch or under par.

And once you reach that point, it's all a matter of self-confidence and building up experience on different courses.

Keep on posting you thoughts on the subject guys (and girls)!

Hi everybody,

thanks a lot for all your reactions.

Let me just clarify a few points : I don't dream about acually winning real PGA tournaments or beating players like Mickelson or Schwarzel.

I just believe it's not entirely impossible to actually join the tour and maybe have a few top 20 or top 40 finishes,

even when starting at my age and without having to practice for 10 or 15 years before being able to shoot under par

and join the tour.

When I analyse my own progress on the driving range in just a few months time (not yet transferred to the course, I admit!),

I just can't believe that it would take me 10 years before being able to play scratch or under par.

And once you reach that point, it's all a matter of self-confidence and building up experience on different courses.

Keep on posting you thoughts on the subject guys (and girls)!

OK, so you are saying you just took up the game, haven't really played much on a real golf course, and don't believe it will take you 10 years to shoot under par, then to join the tour and get some top 20 finishes.

I'm thinking I should buy a guitar, start to practice and, with self-confidence, take over for Eddie Van Halen in a year or two.  Hey, it's not impossible.

Note: This thread is 951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!