IGNORED

Sun Protection

Matt P
Note: This thread is 6181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Now that we are heading into summer, and I have gotten the first nect and forearm burn (and gotten yelled at for not putting on sun-screen) I was wondering what do others do for sun protection. Later sun screen, wear long pants, wear a wide brimmed hat...or simply suffer the pain of a burn.

Thought of this after seeing an article on msnbc re: health effects of sun...they showed pictures taking with a uv camera that showed sun damage to a womans face that under normal conditions looked young and smonth.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

I've been using a spray on SPF 45 because I hate to slather that stuff all over myself. My hands feel slimy for hours afterward even if I wash them. That said, it's more expensive and doesn't last nearly as long as the lotion types do.

I always try to wear sunscreen and a hat when i golf. I got burnt on Sunday this week because i was stupid. My family has a history of skin cancer and i've get monthly checks at the local cancer center for it. I can just imagine the talking to i'll get from all the doctors there if i come in with a nice tan.

Driver: 9.5* SQ Sumo Stiff
3W: 15* SQ Stiff
Irons: 3-PW R7 Stiff Flex
GW: X Tour Vintage 52 11 bounce
SW: X Tour Vintage 56 13 bounceLW: X Tour Vintage 60 8 BouncePutter: Monza CorzaBall: HX Tour 56

Sun screen is a MUST in my bag. I used to not care at all if I got burned and I always had a nice tan by the end of summer. But last summer I had a couple "sun spots" that the doctor thought might be cancerous. I had to have them "fully excised", which amounted to about 20 stitches in my shoulders. Turned out they were precancerous, so now I'm a firm believer in sun screen. I like the spray on stuff the best.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

Always a hat, always sunscreen on the ears, neck, face and arms, and legs if it's warm enough for shorts. I keep sunblock in my bag.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I like the Coppertone spray in the blue bottle, or the gel sunblock. It goes on easy, protects both UVA/UVB, and my hands don't feel slimey when I use it. I think they market it as "sport" sunscreen or something like that. Haven't been burned yet.

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

Hat, sunscreen on any exposed places, and polarized sunglasses.

I would wear longer clothing, but playing in Los Angeles, Orange County, and Palm Springs in the summer months makes this a non-option.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wide brimmed hat (just bought a new Tilley Hat... love it) to keep the sun off my neck, face and the tops of my ears. Sunscreen... as we get into the high summer season. My arms and legs don't really sunburn, because they get exposed to the sun early in the season, when it's not so intense. But I still use SPF 30 or 45 throughout the peak of the summer. I don't wear long sleeves or long pants in ths summer... it's too hot for that. If I had to do that to play, I'd probably give up the game.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started plying a lot earlier in the year when the sun wasn't so bad...I've got a pretty decent tan by now, even with summer just now beginning. When it gets really bad, I put some spray-on sunscreen (the cream is annoying not to mention difficult to clean off), with either SPF 30 or 45, I believe. Also sometimes I wear a hat, although that's more so the sun stays out of my eyes than avoiding getting burned.

Haven't been burned yet this year, so I'm not gonna fix something that still works.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Sunscreen during the round - usually put it on twice- I hate the slimy feeling of it as well but it goes away quickly. Always wear a hat. Too hot for long sleeves and pants.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

I like the Coppertone spray in the blue bottle, or the gel sunblock. It goes on easy, protects both UVA/UVB, and my hands don't feel slimey when I use it. I think they market it as "sport" sunscreen or something like that. Haven't been burned yet.

It's called Coppertone Sport. This stuff is the absolute best. It sprays on dry and you don't need to rub it in al all. It is also sweat and waterproof. I spray it on my face, neck and ears before I put on my shirt. I am fair skinned and burn easy, although as I have aged I am not as bad as I was. I use the SPF15, but it comes in 30 and 45. They used to offer an SPF8 as well, but I can't find it anymore.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 6181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!