IGNORED

Wie almost shoots 88

elivate
Note:Β This thread is 6185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I used to be quite a fan of hers when she was coming up the ranks....but over the past year I have moved to the other side....

If she wasnt making 19 million a year, I would have all the love for her and wish her all the success, but when she hasn't produced yet (to justify a 12 million dollar nike contract) and you are earning boatloads more than the other crop of excellent talent in the LPGA....its a sin and a smack in the face to the other great young players.
Nike is paying her these rediculous sums of money because they want to break into the asian golf demographic...which at least in Ontario is huge.
That may be business but it also doesn't mean I have to like it :D
Anyways if she turns out like all the predictions say, then power to her... she is worth the money....BUT she should only be paid these sums only after she has been a proven commodity.
Frankly at this point I see little difference than the crap adidas did with Anna Kounikova in tennis.
And in terms of Wie pulling out...shame on her. If she was hurt....do it at the turn...not on the 16th hole when you are two shots away from not being able to play for the rest of the year.
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5Β°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5Β°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21Β°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52Β°, 56Β°, & 60Β° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If she wasnt making 19 million a year, I would have all the love for her and wish her all the success, but when she hasn't produced yet (to justify a 12 million dollar nike contract) and you are earning boatloads more than the other crop of excellent talent in the LPGA....its a sin and a smack in the face to the other great young players.

She is paid huge sums of money because the people at Nike feel she will help them sell more womens golf products and clothing. If she ultimately craps out then it's Nike's loss. The people at Nike are the best in the business of marketing atheletes and I'm sure they know exactly what she could make them and are willing to take that chance.

As far as the slap in the face to the better players, similar things were said when Tiger made $60 million in endorsements before putting a ball on the tee in his first tournament as a pro. 10 years later everyone on tour is far richer because of him. She will do the same thing for the LPGA. Sponsors will want to have her in their tournaments. Networks will want to show her playing. The events she is in will, like Tiger, be much higher rated and therefore more valuable to TV sponsors. Remember, this is professional golf. It is a business. The descision to pull out was a business descision and like it or not, the right descision for her career. If the LPGA did not have a rule preventing members under age 18, she would have easily qualified for full status on tour this year based on her earnings from last season and the 88 rule would not matter. If she had finished the round and shot 88, she would be baned from playing in any LPGA events for 1 year. That would prevent her from being a member of the tour until Summer of 08. It would cost the tour and it's sponsors a ton of money and further hamper her development. I would not be shocked if someone from the LPGA brass actually told her people about the rule in an effort to prevent a major disaster to all parties.
Driver: 9.5Β° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.Β° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0Β° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0Β° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58Β° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

dude isnt that cheating...well not cheating more like pathetic..pulling out to protect your privelages, no one else does that and will only give other tour players a reason to do it in the future. Michelle wie is a disgrace to both tours and i hope shes embarassed out of her panties.

She is paid huge sums of money because the people at Nike feel she will help them sell more womens golf products and clothing. If she ultimately craps out then it's Nike's loss. The people at Nike are the best in the business of marketing atheletes and I'm sure they know exactly what she could make them and are willing to take that chance.

While I don't really care that much one way or another, I think you summarized it perfectly. It's pretty obvious that the LPGA wanted her to pull out as much as anyone based on the fact the LPGA official prodded her handlers to make that decision. If they didn't care they would have kept quiet. They have a lot to lose if she's gone for the next year in all of their events. Like her or not, she generates a TON of income and fan/TV interest for the LPGA and they are not going to ignore what's in their best business interests.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12Β°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5Β°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20Β°, 23Β°, 26ΒΊ Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50Β°/8Β°, SW 54Β°/14Β°, LW 58Β°/4Β°Boccieri...

It really is a shame as it sends the wrong message to people, and especially kids, that is OK to behave improperly. It is ridiculous to even defend her because she is 17. That should have no bearing. If she cannot handle the pressures or shoot the scores that she needs to shoot, then she should get out for a while and work at it until she can.

Tiger was and is a phenom and he handled himself with grace and composure while coming up. It really goes to show how greed and golf don't mix.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

I don't really understand where all the Michelle Wie hate comes from. She has an unbelievable swing, amount of talent and potential. I also don't understand why people keep saying her age doesn't matter. Of course it matters. Tiger Woods handling himself with grace and composure? Haha... How quickly we forget. I wonder what people's reaction would be to Wie swearing on camera after a bad shot. Tiger has grown into this do no wrong image he has now. Really I don't blame her for what has happened with her game. It's a shame because she's already getting this rep as a spoiled brat, over-rated player, etc. Personally I think she has gotten some bad advice. I blame her agent, her sponsors, the media and her family. She's only 17 guys. Throw a bunch of money at me when I was 17 and I'm sure I would have acted a lot worse than she has. The media is trying to make her out to be the LPGA Tiger Woods and that's not fair. I think Tiger at least had a strong support group around him. I'm not so sure about Wie.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

When she finishes a round, does she put her age down on the scorecard next to her score or her name? Nope. Does anyone else out the LPGA or PGA Tours? Didn't think so. And I don't hate her. I just think her actions are bush-league. The thing is, she has played enough golf and been around enough older people to understand what good and bad behavior is. So have her parents.

And Tiger did handle himself with grace and composure on his way up. He is the petulant pouter now and I don't agree with that either.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

There is no doubt she has made some mistakes. I think the people arround her have made bigger ones at times. She is young and they need to show her the way to handle the tougher situations.

Tiger has been in the spotlight since he was her age, but it was not nearly as bright on him at 15, 16, 17... Tiger was a great story when he was winning the US Am, but even when he first turned pro it was not as over blown until he started winning at his ridiculous pace. Tiger has not been perfect either. Remember, he let Fuzzy twist in the wind for a few days before half heartedly accepting his appology for the comments at the 97 Masters. He is also the most fined player in PGA Tour history for dropping F-Bombs on national TV. His play and his association with Nike has made him one of the biggest stars in the world. He at least had the benefit of two years of college and he was three years older when he turned pro. I also think he has surrounded himself with better people. Earl Woods may have had his moments, but he always seemed to put Tiger first. I don't know if B.J. Wie is the same type of guy. I would have much rather seen her wait to turn Pro until she was 18.

The initial injury was legit. She has been out for a while and tried to make her comeback a week before the next major of the season. To me it seemed like she was going to try and play through it and her people told her not to take the chance. I still think they did the right thing for the big picture.
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58Β° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I don't really understand where all the Michelle Wie hate comes from. She has an unbelievable swing, amount of talent and potential. I also don't understand why people keep saying her age doesn't matter. Of course it matters. Tiger Woods handling himself with grace and composure? Haha... How quickly we forget. I wonder what people's reaction would be to Wie swearing on camera after a bad shot. Tiger has grown into this do no wrong image he has now. Really I don't blame her for what has happened with her game. It's a shame because she's already getting this rep as a spoiled brat, over-rated player, etc. Personally I think she has gotten some bad advice. I blame her agent, her sponsors, the media and her family. She's only 17 guys. Throw a bunch of money at me when I was 17 and I'm sure I would have acted a lot worse than she has. The media is trying to make her out to be the LPGA Tiger Woods and that's not fair. I think Tiger at least had a strong support group around him. I'm not so sure about Wie.

I think it all really stems from the Tiger comparisons... She has not gone the same route that Tiger did, she has not won all of the tournaments that Tiger did at that age. She really has not gone out and won anything and for that she has been given $19 million... So there is bound to be a lot of backlash...

Personally I think she is a great talent that could be the next dominant player on the LPGA tour. They certainly should have made an exception and allowed her to play as many events on the LPGA as she could qualify for or get exemptions in... I think that the LPGA as well as Michelle's "people" have made a lot of mistakes with her career to date and it is unfortunate...

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

She did the right thing by pulling out.

Continuing to play would have done nothing for her. Being banned for a year may have nulled the Nike contract too, you never know the details of those contracts....could have been simple....not eligible for LPGA Tour = no money for you!!

Tiger has not been perfect either. Remember, he let Fuzzy twist in the wind for a few days before half heartedly accepting his appology for the comments at the 97 Masters.

Fuzzy brought that about himself and deserved what he got for it. While i find it hard to believe he wasnt joking knowing the personality of his we see, you just simply cannot say that and not have reprocussions. It was not Tigers job to come to a grown mans aid. Not to mention Tiger would be looked at as an Uncle Tom if he said something immediately after the comments.

Fuzzy brought that about himself and deserved what he got for it. While i find it hard to believe he wasnt joking knowing the personality of his we see, you just simply cannot say that and not have reprocussions. It was not Tigers job to come to a grown mans aid. Not to mention Tiger would be looked at as an Uncle Tom if he said something immediately after the comments.

No question. Fuzzy was 100% wrong. I would tend to agree that it was simply an off the cuff joke that was not meant to offend anyone, it still did. I am also a huge Tiger fan and tend to support him on most things. He waited too long to contact Fuzzy and would not take any of his phone calls. Tiger didn't need to make any kind of public statement until he was ready, but he should have at least spoken with the guy who made the comments. At least listen to the guys appology and determine for yourself if it's genuine. Don't make a public statement through your people, before you even talk to him.

He has also done things like refusing to sign a golf ball for a fellow pro that was going to be part of a grand prize with other balls signed by the games greats at a charity auction. I understand why Tiger does not sign golf balls as a general rule, since there are a ton of people out there that ask for an autograph and turn arround and sell it as well as the number of counterfit items that are out there. However, this is a case of a peer asking for a favor for a special charitable situation.

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.a...7&select;=22772

Interesting article from the golf channel. Stating that she was out the next day practicing at the range. More suggestions that it wasn't an injury.
I say good on Annika for speaking up
Thank god the commissioner of the LPGA has spoken with her camp and hopefully this will be the end of the garbage.
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5Β°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5Β°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21Β°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52Β°, 56Β°, & 60Β° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

What the hell is wrong with practicing? Give me a break. F Annika, that steroid infested man-woman.

I personally could care less about Wie. What I do find amusing though is why Nike paid so much so quick. She really hasn't proven herself, but that has already been covered in this thread.

We do have to remember that her actions are a direct reflection of her age. I coach little league football and it amazes me how much more the kid that gets hit and fumbles the ball is injured compared to the one that didn't fumble it. It is a direct correlation between what kids see as a way for people not to blame them for their mistakes. Anyone with children know this.

Once she stops acting like a child, then Nike and the LPGA should start treating her like a golfer. She "hurt" her wrist running in a park. Funny, I use my legs and feet to run!

R5 Dual 9.5
F50 16.5
R7 TP 3-PW
RAC Satin 52 and 56 deg
Vokey 59 deg Studio Newport 2 HX Tour 56

What the hell is wrong with practicing?

No one said there's anything wrong with practicing, it just seems strange given that she "re-injured" her wrist during the round.

I'm not a doctor, but usually after an injury one is asked to rest/recuperate before resuming activities....

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

I try to stay out of these things but couldn't keep quiet.

1.) The biggest difference between Tiger Woods and Michelle Wie is the mindset, whether it be the acutal person or their inner circle and that is simple. "Team Tiger" as it was called, put Tiger Woods becoming the best golfer in the world as the number one priority, most likely coming from Tiger's drive to be the best, and the money followed but was always treated as secondary. I thought I remember reading somewhere that Tiger held off building his new home in Florida until he could pay for it from the money he WON, not his endorsement deals, that spoke volumes to me about his mindset. Team Wie put the money first and didn't focus on developing Michelle as a player. You cannot deny her talent and her ability, but I question her drive.

2.) I really question the whole injury thing becuase not only was she out at the range the next morning, but ESPN reported she was at Bulle Rock(??) the site of the McDonald's this week playing a pracitce round!

3.) She has shown little or no respect to the other players. There have been complaints from several tournaments that she goes off into her own little world and completely ignores her pro-am partners who pay big bucks to be there. In addtion, since she is not a member of the tour she infuriates players by playing practice rounds in the week before an event when they are not allowed to. Call me, old fashioned but I would think the respectful and noble thing to do would be to abide by the same rules everyone else does.

My bag:

Driver: Cobra AMP 9.5 degree w/ GD6 stiff flexΒ shaft

3 Wood: Ping Anser 14.5 degree THC-800 stiff flex shaft

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19 degree Mitsubishi Kiani Blue stiff flex shaft

Irons: Nike Pro Combo Tour 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Wedges: Titleist Bob Vokey 52-8, 56-11 and 60-4

Putter: 2-Ball White Steel, 34" bent 1 degree flat

No one said there's anything wrong with practicing, it just seems strange given that she "re-injured" her wrist during the round.

Well Phil Mickelson has been practicing after WD'ing from the Memorial. Granted he dropped out of St. Jude but that's only because the Open is next week. You damn well better believe he'd play if it were this week. Ok, I know that's not quite the same thing but you get my point. You don't even know the extent of the "injury" or what she was even practicing. Now I'm not trying to justify everything Michelle Wie has done, she's clearly made some mistakes. But she's 17 and I don't like the fact that it seems people are just looking for things to not like about her. She's a complaint magnet, an easy target. Again, she is responsible for her actions but I don't put all of the blame in her. "Team Wie" are a bunch of morons IMO and I don't care how mature you are, 17 year old is going to look to elders for advice. It seems most of the posts biggest complaints are regarding money and sponsors exemptions. Blame Nike, blame the sponsors. Nike, as usual, dipped into their bottomless pit of money to sign the next young phenom. The LPGA Tiger Woods and again, that's just ridiculous.

Anyways, I'm for anything that pisses off Man/Woman Sorenstam.

Note:Β This thread is 6185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!