IGNORED

Nutrition to help golfers.

ApocG10
Note: This thread is 4246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At a minimum people should be walking daily, at least 30 minutes a day, and lift heavy weights once a week. This is a good baseline, and should be easy to do.

From there, just eat fresher foods. To me the key is, eat foods that are closest to the ground. Meaning, if you eat bread, the wheat has to be harvested processed, mixed with other ingredients, baked... If you look at a potato you just have to bake it. So boxed cereals, frozen dinners, things like that are absolutely the worst thing to eat, then fast food, then bread cereals, ect.. Freshly cooked foods are the best, even better is foods you don't have to cook at all, like raw veggies, fruits, and nuts.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well this thread has motivated me to change my diet.

Breakfast: Oatmeal and fresh fruit with a bit of jam mixed in (MWF) OR Granola and milk with fresh blueberries (T-TH)

Lunch: Homemade Kidney Beans, Quinoa, Homegrown Tomatoes, Salad, Brussel Sprouts

Dinner: Chicken and Broccoli, Tilapia and Green Beans, etc along these lines

Snacks: Raw Carrots, Granny Smith Apples

Would anyone make any additions/subtractions to this, and if so, what and why?

Thanks for the motivation, everyone!!!

Originally Posted by Goat Green

Well this thread has motivated me to change my diet.

Breakfast: Oatmeal and fresh fruit with a bit of jam mixed in (MWF) OR Granola and milk with fresh blueberries (T-TH)

Lunch: Homemade Kidney Beans, Quinoa, Homegrown Tomatoes, Salad, Brussel Sprouts

Dinner: Chicken and Broccoli, Tilapia and Green Beans, etc along these lines

Snacks: Raw Carrots, Granny Smith Apples

Would anyone make any additions/subtractions to this, and if so, what and why?

Thanks for the motivation, everyone!!!

As long as you're using steel cut oats and must boil them for 30 min - no instant

Don't overdo the granola - use it like a topping.

Try Fuji and Gala Apples - they're better eating raw than Granny Smiths.

Add garlic when cooking, and mushrooms are good for you - sautéed with olive oil, a little salt and pepper, garlic pressed, a little wine, boil down the wine, and worchestershire sauce to taste.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Or get rid of the steel cut oats all together and go with a sweet potato hash, way better than steel cut oats.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 1 month later...

Quote:
Yes, you SHOULD be eating 5 meals a day

Not really. What is important is that blood sugar levels are kept stable throughout the round. This doesn't necessarily mean 5 meals a day. Most nutritionalists are getting away from the increased meal frequency myth now, as it was thoroughly debunked by the latest scientific meta analysis.

Quote:

Now heres the problem, im a firm believer in the term, 'A calorie is not just a calorie', meaning the caloric intake of lean chicken, sweet potatoes, and veggies is nothing like the caloric intake of an equal calorie meal at McD's. So let me get to the foods you should be eating.

Carbs: All carbs should be low on the Glycemic Index (from here to be called GI). What is a glycemic index? Well, the lower the glycemic index, the slower theses carbs break down, so instead of an energy spike after meals, your body uses that energy over the next few hours, slowly fveeding your body energy as it needs it, instead of all at once, leading to burnout by the end of the round.

In terms of weight loss, a calorie is definitely a calorie. Lots of studies have looked at eating 'clean foods' versus 'dirty foods' and found no difference when macronutrient values are kept the same. hormonal responses to dirty and clean foods are also the same, regardless of where that food comes from. Your body cannot differentiate between a gram of fat coming from McDonalds or a cleaner source. What matters more is the source of the energy (in terms of blood sugars, but not weightloss/gain) regarding fats, protein and carbs.

Carbs don't necessarily have to be low on the Glycemic index. Total amount of carbohydrates and energy is more important for keeping blood sugar levels stable. If I eat a teaspoon of sugar, I will see less of a blood sugar spike than if I was to eat a larger meal of oatmeal. Small bites of high glycemic can be just as effective as large meals of low glycemic index at controlling blood sugars.

Quote:
Sugar is the major cause of obesity in America today. Some people take in hundreds of calories in sugar every day, and this WILL kill you, as sure as smoking will.

Sugar is not the cause of obesity, excess caloric intake is. Studies comparing weight loss using high glycemic carbs (sugary) vs low glycemic carbs show no statistical difference.

Quote:
Now, i know people are going to say, "I dont have time to eat 5 meals a day, especially when im golfing for 5 hours". But yes, you do.

Why would people need to eat 5 times a day?

Quote:
Don't worry about things like the separation of fats and carbs, you aren't a bodybuilder,

separation of carbs and fats is a useless science also, has been thoroughly disproved by scientific literature over and over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApocG10 View Post

A note on High GI carbs. The only time these should be consumed, is with protein, AFTER a weight training workout. This will help usher proteins to your muscles, and allow muscle growth and fat burning post-workout. (Google will give you tons of post workout shake recipes).

Muscle growth and fat burning always occur post workout. high GI carbs are not necessary for this to occur. I do agree that high GI is probably more appropriately placed post exercise, but even then it is not necessary. Muscle glycogen replenishment is fully achieved through high and low GI intakes. It is more important that the total amount of carb intake is necessary, not the type. the only situation where high GI carbs are necessary is if you have multiple bouts in short time span, such as athletics or perhaps if you were to have a 4 day golf tournament.

Sorry, overall I agree with a lot of it, but some of it is just debunked science and unnecessary, probably causing more of a neuroses than better understanding. In terms of weigh loss, eat less calories and burn more. In terms of fat loss, up your protein, throw in a weight workout. In terms of golf performance, eat small and often through the round

Originally Posted by TN94z

Yes, way down!  I was wondering about you caloric intake level when I read it, but I didn't comment because if it works for you, it works.  I'm doing a zig zag style diet.  Higher calories on workout days, lower calories in between....all days in a deficit.  My highest day is 2405 on Fridays. If I do any cheating, this is the day I do it on...or try to. Here lately, the cheating has come more frequently.

Zig zagging is a great way to lose weight. The biggest part of weight loss is to maintain a consistent caloric deficit. A constant deficit will drive you insane, but a zig zag is much more easier mentally as you always have Tomorrow.

I apply a slight zig zag, with high days being on weight training days to improve nutrient partitioning. I also throw in a 'once a week fast', which is where I fast completely for 24 hours (eat nothing from 8 pm the previous night until 8pm the next night). then I will have a 500 calorie meal. This basically cuts out 1,700 calories in one chunk.

Originally Posted by saevel25

At a minimum people should be walking daily, at least 30 minutes a day, and lift heavy weights once a week. This is a good baseline, and should be easy to do.

From there, just eat fresher foods. To me the key is, eat foods that are closest to the ground. Meaning, if you eat bread, the wheat has to be harvested processed, mixed with other ingredients, baked... If you look at a potato you just have to bake it. So boxed cereals, frozen dinners, things like that are absolutely the worst thing to eat, then fast food, then bread cereals, ect.. Freshly cooked foods are the best, even better is foods you don't have to cook at all, like raw veggies, fruits, and nuts.

My daily diet starts with 3 glass of water. I've read in a japanese health magazine that it helps detoxify. So far I like it because my urination is normal. Yes fresh foods are very advisable. I stop eating boxed cereals a year ago because my sugar level was bad. I guess the biggest benefit of having a balance diet is not just to stay longer in course, it means you have a better chances of living longer.

Note: This thread is 4246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!