IGNORED

Michelle Wie...Will she ever return to her previous form?

Tontj5
Note: This thread is 3565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From what I read she only got her degree/diploma this past weekend. Give her some time  to where she is only concentrating on golf. She graduated from Stanford for crying out loud! I think she deserves praise and not criticism.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I wouldn't say she's burned out because there was never a fire in the first place.

Hyped to be a great golfer. Going to do this and that, but never has. So I'd say she is still exactly where she has always been - a nike commercial.

Let's not drag up the Stanford thing please.

• Upvote 1

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

• Administrator
Let's not drag up the Stanford thing please.

Huh?

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldn't say she's burned out because there was never a fire in the first place. Hyped to be a great golfer. Going to do this and that, but never has. So I'd say she is still exactly where she has always been - a nike commercial. Let's not drag up the Stanford thing please.

"The Stanford thing" is basically her entire life for the last 5 (?) years.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

The Stanford remark was aimed at whether she actually went there based on her accademic abilities or golfing abilities? Also I'm sure she picked something really accademic to major in as well just like all other sports stars.

It was aimed at the poster who said we should lay off because she has just graduated from Standford. Like that's what's caused her to be a mediocre golfer.

• Upvote 1

bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

Originally Posted by the19thhole

The Stanford remark was aimed at whether she actually went there based on her accademic abilities or golfing abilities? Also I'm sure she picked something really accademic to major in as well just like all other sports stars.

It was aimed at the poster who said we should lay off because she has just graduated from Standford. Like that's what's caused her to be a mediocre golfer.

haters gotta hate.  so much for golf being a gentleman's (or gentlewoman's) game.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

The Stanford remark was aimed at whether she actually went there based on her accademic abilities or golfing abilities? Also I'm sure she picked something really accademic to major in as well just like all other sports stars. It was aimed at the poster who said we should lay off because she has just graduated from Standford. Like that's what's caused her to be a mediocre golfer.

FWIW, she was a Communication major. Also, she isn't "just like all other sports stars." She turned pro when she was 15, and never played college golf. If you want to argue the challenge of a Comm degree from Stanford and whether or not she was given preferential treatment by the admissions department be my guest, but she won two LPGA Tour events while she was still a college student. That's pretty impressive.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
The Stanford remark was aimed at whether she actually went there based on her accademic abilities or golfing abilities?

Uhm... She was a pro and thus unable to play for Stanford or do anything to advance Stanford as a college golfer. And golf isn't exactly a high-profile sport - she wasn't some top-ranked QB coming out of high school for which they might bend the rules. And, you know, it's Stanford, not Florida State or something. Plus I bet she can spell the word "academic." [quote name="the19thhole" url="/t/59296/michelle-wie-will-she-ever-return-to-her-previous-form/0_100#post_727354"] It was aimed at the poster who said we should lay off because she has just graduated from Standford. Like that's what's caused her to be a mediocre golfer. [/quote] Seriously? First, she could probably give you five a side and beat you silly, and what about "full-time student, graduating on time" says to you that it couldn't have had an effect on her ability to compete against full-time golfers? Plus, what Jamo said.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by jamo

FWIW, she was a Communication major. Also, she isn't "just like all other sports stars." She turned pro when she was 15, and never played college golf. If you want to argue the challenge of a Comm degree from Stanford and whether or not she was given preferential treatment by the admissions department be my guest, but she won two LPGA Tour events while she was still a college student. That's pretty impressive.

And your point is:

http://blogcritics.org/culture/article/what-is-a-communications-major/

Originally Posted by iacas

Uhm... She was a pro and thus unable to play for Stanford or do anything to advance Stanford as a college golfer. And golf isn't exactly a high-profile sport - she wasn't some top-ranked QB coming out of high school for which they might bend the rules. And, you know, it's Stanford, not Florida State or something. Plus I bet she can spell the word "academic."

Seriously? First, she could probably give you five a side and beat you silly, and what about "full-time student, graduating on time" says to you that it couldn't have had an effect on her ability to compete against full-time golfers?

Plus, what Jamo said.

Well whip my ass for spelling academic wrong and as a communications major I'd expect her too. I'm sure her being a pro and attending there didn't benefit Stanford. You think.

There are lots of golfers who could give me 5 a side and beat me silly (probably even some on this forum) - all I'm saying is don't use being a full-time student as an excuse for not performing well. Maybe she should have deferred turning pro until after her studies. My main point was I think she was all hype and will be mediocre at best.

I wish I'd never mentioned Stanford to be honest.

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

haters gotta hate.  so much for golf being a gentleman's (or gentlewoman's) game.

I never said I hate her  - I said she will be mediocre for the rest of her career. But if it makes you feel better. Michelle, I think you are going to be the best golfer ever, will win a bunch of majors on both the LPGA and the PGA and go on to have a fantastic business career after retirement because of your no doubt excellent communications major from Stanford. I am a gentleman now.

Originally Posted by Shorty

She never had any form.

She is the most overhyped female in the history of sport.

She has delivered zero percent oh her promise and the sponsorships were based largely on her looks. She is also barely capable of coherent speech and has pretended not to be a cheat.

I agree - oops not being a gentleman again.

And your point is: [URL=http://blogcritics.org/culture/article/what-is-a-communications-major/]http://blogcritics.org/culture/article/what-is-a-communications-major/[/URL]

I wasn't making one with the sentence, which I why I prefaced it with the "For What It's Worth." You said, "Also I'm sure she picked something really accademic to major in as well just like all other sports stars," and I told you what she majored in.

In my bag:

• Administrator
Well whip my ass for spelling academic wrong and as a communications major I'd expect her too. I'm sure her being a pro and attending there didn't benefit Stanford. You think.

I think you're dramatically over-stating how much it "benefitted Stanford." She's not well known outside of golf, and Stanford didn't trot her out all the time as some sort of trophy. She didn't wear Stanford gear when playing. She was - for all intents and purposes - just another student, albeit one who could pay her own way. [quote name="the19thhole" url="/t/59296/michelle-wie-will-she-ever-return-to-her-previous-form/0_100#post_727409"]all I'm saying is don't use being a full-time student as an excuse for not performing well.[/quote] It's a perfectly legitimate reason. Haters gonna hate is about right.

Originally Posted by iacas

Haters gonna hate is about right.

I don't hate her I just don't think she is a good golfer (my opinion).

You found one blog that trashes Communications Majors and you feel that validates your position?  I guess you turned down admissions into Stanford because it wasn't a tough enough school for you.   You're right you shouldn't have brought it up, seems you thought she went there because she played golf for their team and then trashed her degree when you found out golf had nothing to do with her going there.

No one is saying Wie is a great golfer at this time, but you can't say she wasn't, or won't be in the future.  She won 2 LPGA tour events, so she's better than most of the women on Tour who have yet to win their first.

Originally Posted by the19thhole

And your point is:

http://blogcritics.org/culture/article/what-is-a-communications-major/

There are lots of golfers who could give me 5 a side and beat me silly (probably even some on this forum) - all I'm saying is don't use being a full-time student as an excuse for not performing well. Maybe she should have deferred turning pro until after her studies. My main point was I think she was all hype and will be mediocre at best.

I wish I'd never mentioned Stanford to be honest.

Joe Paradiso

You found one blog that trashes Communications Majors and you feel that validates your position?  I guess you turned down admissions into Stanford because it wasn't a tough enough school for you.   You're right you shouldn't have brought it up, seems you thought she went there because she played golf for their team and then trashed her degree when you found out golf had nothing to do with her going there.  No one is saying Wie is a great golfer at this time, but you can't say she wasn't, or won't be in the future.  She won 2 LPGA tour events, so she's better than most of the women on Tour who have yet to win their first.

Actually I knew she didn't play golf for them (not eligible), but I was curious if being who she is helped her gain entry to that school. I'm sure Michelle Wie professional golfer on her entry application didn't help. I trashed her degree because it's the typical degree that non academics do when they want an easy ride at university and I didn't go to Stanford or any other American university because I'm not American. Communicatiosn is like social science and the typical answer to someone who majors in this type of field is "big Mac and fries please". The reason I picked that blog was it just happened to be funny. And I can say she isn't, wasn't and won't be good a great golfer - it's called an opinion. Mine.

• Upvote 1

michelle-wie-picture-2.jpg

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Michelle Wie's form.

• Upvote 1

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Note: This thread is 3565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!