Jump to content
IGNORED

Tiger Woods is no longer the highest paid professional athlete according to Forbes


Note: This thread is 3326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

Floyd Mayweather Jr. replaces Tiger Woods as highest paid athlete

June 19, 2012 , 9:41 a.m.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-floyd-mayweather-tiger-woods-20120619,0,2001731.story

Floyd Mayweather Jr. earned $85 million over the past 12 months, more than any other athlete in the world, according to Forbes magazine .

Not bad for a guy who put in less than an hour's worth of work.

Just kidding. While it may have taken Mayweather that scant amount of time in the boxing ring to defeat  Victor Ortiz and Miguel Cotto, he obviously put in plenty of time training for the bouts -- not to mention all the work he does as his own promoter through Mayweather Promotions.

That venture helps Mayweather, currently serving an 87-day jail sentence in Las Vegas in a domestic violence case, maximize his earnings by allowing him to keep all of the revenue from tickets, pay-per-view and sponsorships, allowing him to take home typically at least 50% more than what Manny Pacquiao earns per fight.

Still, Pacquiao trails only Mayweather on the Forbes list, after pulling in $62 million -- $56 million for fighting Juan Manuel Marquez and Tim Bradley and an estimated $6 million in endorsements.

Tiger Woods dropped to No. 3 on the list after an 11-year reign at the top. He earned only $59.4 million last year (poor guy), a dropoff of $16 million from the previous year and half of what he made at his peak in 2009. A loss of sponsors and struggles with his golf course design business help account for the dip in earnings.

The top 10 is rounded out by LeBron James ($53 million), Roger Federer ($52.7 million), Kobe Bryant ($52.3 million), Phil Mickelson ($47.8 million), David Beckham ($46 million), Cristiano Ronaldo ($42.5 million) and Peyton Manning ($42.4 million).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

I'm curious to see how Mayweather fairs after his jail days.  His manager and lawyer have been pleading for them to at least allow Floyd in gen pop.  They are saying that it is really taking it's toll on the fighter. If he doesn't get on house arrest or at least in gen pop, I wonder what kind of shape he will be in once he's done.  He may have a short term on the top of that list.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by TN94z

I'm curious to see how Mayweather fairs after his jail days.  His manager and lawyer have been pleading for them to at least allow Floyd in gen pop.  They are saying that it is really taking it's toll on the fighter. If he doesn't get on house arrest or at least in gen pop, I wonder what kind of shape he will be in once he's done.  He may have a short term on the top of that list.

Its 90 days. Whatever damage he manages to do in 90 days can be un-done for the next 90 days after he is released.

If it was a serious prison bid, then maybe.

However I feel he does have a case as to why he is being held in solitary. Simply because he is a celeb? Thats cruel and unusual, frankly he may have a lawsuit unless he did something criminal while in jail to land himself in solitary

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Its 90 days. Whatever damage he manages to do in 90 days can be un-done for the next 90 days after he is released.

If it was a serious prison bid, then maybe.

However I feel he does have a case as to why he is being held in solitary. Simply because he is a celeb? Thats cruel and unusual, frankly he may have a lawsuit unless he did something criminal while in jail to land himself in solitary

Oh I agree...it's just 90 days but his people are making it out like he is all but dying in solitary and that he will wither away if not allowed out and about.  It's strictly because he is who he is.  There is no way they are going to allow him into gen pop.  If that were to happen, and then he gets hurt and can't fight, they would face some kind of lawsuit anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by brocks

He should be careful what he wishes for. I would much rather be in solitary than general pop, and I'm not young or good looking.


Really lol? Been watching much Oz?

Id say gen pop is the place to be even if you have to throw some fists, which doesn't happen unless you ask for it anyway, as opposed to solitary where you may find yourself talking to your hand or tearing out your own hair once enough days/weeks have gone by.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Id say gen pop is the place to be even if you have to throw some fists, which doesn't happen unless you ask for it anyway,

I really disagree here.  I know a guy in prison and that couldn't be farther from the truth.  Gangs run rampant in prison.  He gets jumped twice a week probably and it's never a fair fight. The whole gang jumps on you and doesn't let up....asked for or not. He says it happens all the time with gangs wanting to use the phone.

So while there are some places where it's not that bad, it happens quite often without instigation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I live next door to a prison guard.  He said if guys like Mayweather get into gen pop they are expected to do favors to ensure they don't take a sharp object to their back.  if they refuse, their familes get threatened or held for ransom.  Plus  some lifers would like a shot at the champ for some instant cred within the prison.   He said overall it's a lot safer for the prisioner and guards to keep a guy like than in solitary.

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Really lol? Been watching much Oz?

Id say gen pop is the place to be even if you have to throw some fists, which doesn't happen unless you ask for it anyway, as opposed to solitary where you may find yourself talking to your hand or tearing out your own hair once enough days/weeks have gone by.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. amgolfer
      amgolfer
      (37 years old)
    2. At least 7 handi-andy
      At least 7 handi-andy
      (30 years old)
    3. MSDOGS1976
      MSDOGS1976
      (67 years old)
    4. Rob Lane
      Rob Lane
      (62 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...