IGNORED

Beau Hossler gets Congressional invite

TN94z
Note: This thread is 4317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I didn't read the entire thread, but I can definately see the side pointing towards education. It is extremely valuable in all aspects of life. But.... If someone is offering a pile of money I say take it! He can make a mint on endorsements NOW! Here's another IF... IF he gets hurt, IF he's not as marketable in a couple years, IF IF IF! He CAN make the money now and probably enough to be set for life. Then if the pro golf career doesn't pan out as expected, he can still go to college. He still has the money.

Skipping out on College, is just asking for a ass kissing in this world.

Anything can happen. Lose their game (Duvall), or get a serious career ending injury.

No College to fall back on, when it's right their being provided for free. Is just plain stupid.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Not everyone wants to be a pro athlete. I grew up and played defence with the same guy from 4 years old, right up to when we finished high school. We both had offers for university, but he was invited to an Islanders training camp as well.

He had made the decision to become a doctor when we were in Junior high. He did not want to be a pro athlete, he wanted to be an Orthopedic Surgeon. He turned down the offer of going to the training camp, and today he is doing what he always dreamt of.

But college won't hurt Hosslers game. That is a ridiculous thought. He will be playing golf daily with great instructors and coaches, and it'll give him time to mature and get ready for life on the road, which is extremely hard when you are as young as he is.

That is 100% incorrect the NCAA limits the amount of practice time and what great instructors will he be working with at Texas? I'm not saying over the summer he won't have all the resources but while he is at Texas he will have to follow the NCAA rules. Which is my point if he goes pro he will be practicing playing 24/7 and work with a top notch instructor while getting experience on tour. Which scenario would you think turns him into a better player?

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

College isn't free. He gives up 4 years of his golfing life which might be worth something like 1+ million/year in endorsements.. That free college education could really cost him 4+ million. Playing 4 years of college gives you all that injury risk for very little pay (~40k/year).  Opportunity costs are just as real as the ones you pay for with cash out of your pocket. And if things don't work out, he can take that money he made and go back. The part none of us know is what type of sponsorship money he can get. AT 10k/year, college looks good. At 5 million/yr college is stupid.

Originally Posted by Motley01

Skipping out on College, is just asking for a ass kissing in this world.

Anything can happen. Lose their game (Duvall), or get a serious career ending injury.

No College to fall back on, when it's right their being provided for free. Is just plain stupid.

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

No actually I wrote:

"Has it occurred to you that maybe the kid or his family value being an educated person?

You made the point that the only reason to go to college is to get a job.  That is wrong.  We definitely will have to disagree about this one.

Just to clarify: you believe that people go to college purely so they can learn?

Also, not to be petty, but two things: 1. what he or his family value is not the reason why either of us constructed our opinions. 2. did not say only reason, i said the reason, i.e. the main reason.

The NCAA is corrupt but thats an entirely different argument. If you have a chance to make millions now I say take it. He can always get his degree later on in life if he chooses to do so. Guys like Fowler have this celebrity status on tour and he didnt get his first win until recently so why not make boat loads of money and work on his game at the same time?

In the words of Randy Moss.............Straight Cash Homey

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Hossler's problem is, that he is not exactly a marketing dream. He looks boring, not flashy. Because of that he has to win or contend to get big sponsorships. He's not like Fowler who made a fortune off his looks et cetera. I really doubt he could get good sponsoring money right now with only a t20-something at the US Open to show.

Originally Posted by Zwick

Hossler's problem is, that he is not exactly a marketing dream. He looks boring, not flashy. Because of that he has to win or contend to get big sponsorships. He's not like Fowler who made a fortune off his looks et cetera. I really doubt he could get good sponsoring money right now with only a t20-something at the US Open to show.

I didnt think of it that way, and you're right. I have no idea how any company could market this kid.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I think you guys are overstating the "injury risk" of college golf.  This ain't NCAA football.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Kapanda

Just to clarify: you believe that people go to college purely so they can learn?

Also, not to be petty, but two things: 1. what he or his family value is not the reason why either of us constructed our opinions. 2. did not say only reason, i said the reason, i.e. the main reason.

No where did I say that.  You said the only reason people go to college is to get a job.  I mentioned the education as well.  You seem to have difficulty with reading comprehension.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

No where did I say that.  You said the only reason people go to college is to get a job.  I mentioned the education as well.  You seem to have difficulty with reading comprehension.

Trolling?

Originally Posted by Kapanda

Trolling?

Nope.  You?

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Injuries are a major part of golf. A guy isn't getting crushed by a 300lb lineman head one but the repetitive overuse injuries are a constant problem for someone looking to golf 6 hours a day 360 days a year. Not vary many are career threatening unless they are not treated promptly.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I think you guys are overstating the "injury risk" of college golf.  This ain't NCAA football.

Originally Posted by x129

Injuries are a major part of golf. A guy isn't getting crushed by a 300lb lineman head one but the repetitive overuse injuries are a constant problem for someone looking to golf 6 hours a day 360 days a year. Not vary many are career threatening unless they are not treated promptly.

How many college golfers would you estimate have their highly anticipated professional careers cut short because of injuries sustained in college?  I just can't see it being very many.

About as many as college football players whose professional careers are end by injury. Not very many. You would have to suffer the injury (very rare) and then be one of the guys who is a legit pro (even rarer).  And most of the time there is no way of telling. The guy that struggles with injuries for a couple of years and quits may have been a PGA pro if things went his way. Or he may have just been another +2 golfer.

It definitely isn't a big risk. But neither being on the PGA tour and suffering a career ending injury and needing to fall back on your college degree.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

How many college golfers would you estimate have their highly anticipated professional careers cut short because of injuries sustained in college?  I just can't see it being very many.

Originally Posted by x129

About as many as college football players whose professional careers are end by injury. Not very many.

I would beg to differ on that point.  Obviously there are a ton of injuries in NCAA football every year, and some of those guys would otherwise be able to attempt to make an NFL roster.  How many, I do not know and obviously can't prove.  But I do know that sometimes just making it in the door allows a player a window of 2-3 years to make a roster and eventually get a solid payday, whereas getting injured and never getting into the pro circuit (my story is more along these lines), so-to-speak, means never being able to have that opportunity.  It's under those circumstances that I could understand a player getting hot/popular at the right time and foregoing his education in order to capitalize on his draft status when he otherwise would just be another guy trying to make a team.  An overrated college star can make millions by going pro in the right moment, and if he passed up that opportunity, he could become old news by the time it comes around again.

I'll offer an example that hits very close to home for me, as it was my best friend.  We both played high school football together as teammates on defense.  Both cornerbacks.  I chose UCLA, he chose USC.  He started as a true frosh at strong safety/rover.  Played great and had a big impact.  Sophomore season was more of the same.  Junior year he made several highlight reels on ESPN.  In that same year's draft, Mel Kiper selected him as one of the top juniors heading into next years draft.  I also had a couple magazines that had him slated as the #6 overall prospect for  next years draft class.  Then in the off-season, they found a tumor between his spinal cord and stomach which had to be operated on.  He lost a lot of weight and strength, and thus had to sit out the upcoming season.  He redshirted and came back for his redshirt senior season completely off the radar.  Nobody had him pegged as a top senior.  He had a good/solid year (even had one of the top college highlights of the year) and still went completely undrafted.  He had a couple tryouts but was eventually cut from each team.  He played a couple years of AFL before getting into coaching.  If he leaves his junior season, he is possibly a first round pick.  2 seasons later, he can't even make a team.  The line is that thin.

I don't see the line being that fine in collegiate to professional golf.

Not to be flippant but that isn't a football injury. That is life happening. It could easily happen to a golfer and I can imagine the golfer never being the same afterwards. Heck Johnny Miller blames his decline on working on a farm one winter.   I am not saying injuries don't derail pro careers. I am saying they happen in all sports.  There is a fine line at the top of having confidence and faith in your ability which is pretty easy to shatter. Would Ty Tyron made more money turning pro at 21 instead of 17? Only if his golf game was better than it was at 17.

I would beg to differ on that point.  Obviously there are a ton of injuries in NCAA football every year, and some of those guys would otherwise be able to attempt to make an NFL roster.  How many, I do not know and obviously can't prove.  But I do know that sometimes just making it in the door allows a player a window of 2-3 years to make a roster and eventually get a solid payday, whereas getting injured and never getting into the pro circuit (my story is more along these lines), so-to-speak, means never being able to have that opportunity.  It's under those circumstances that I could understand a player getting hot/popular at the right time and foregoing his education in order to capitalize on his draft status when he otherwise would just be another guy trying to make a team.  An overrated college star can make millions by going pro in the right moment, and if he passed up that opportunity, he could become old news by the time it comes around again.

I'll offer an example that hits very close to home for me, as it was my best friend.  We both played high school football together as teammates on defense.  Both cornerbacks.  I chose UCLA, he chose USC.  He started as a true frosh at strong safety/rover.  Played great and had a big impact.  Sophomore season was more of the same.  Junior year he made several highlight reels on ESPN.  In that same year's draft, Mel Kiper selected him as one of the top juniors heading into next years draft.  I also had a couple magazines that had him slated as the #6 overall prospect for  next years draft class.  Then in the off-season, they found a tumor between his spinal cord and stomach which had to be operated on.  He lost a lot of weight and strength, and thus had to sit out the upcoming season.  He redshirted and came back for his redshirt senior season completely off the radar.  Nobody had him pegged as a top senior.  He had a good/solid year (even had one of the top college highlights of the year) and still went completely undrafted.  He had a couple tryouts but was eventually cut from each team.  He played a couple years of AFL before getting into coaching.  If he leaves his junior season, he is possibly a first round pick.  2 seasons later, he can't even make a team.  The line is that thin.

I don't see the line being that fine in collegiate to professional golf.

Note: This thread is 4317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!