IGNORED

The Higgs Boson Particle has been found!

mosnas
Note: This thread is 4309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

cliffj, nice work man!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

cliffj, nice work man!

Thanks...it was relatively easy

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Etzwane

To be founded for such a large international project, the scientific case is often a combinaison of

1/ measuring better what we know exists

2/ we think hypothesis (e.g. the Higgs for the LHC) is true and we can prove or disprove it

3/ We have hypotheses on what else could exist (for the LHC that would be a theory more fundamental that the Standard Model) and we can investigate

And yes, the Higgs bosons has a mass (around 125 times the mass of a proton if what was since is indeed the Higgs).

That doesn't quite answer the question... was the Higgs the only purpose for the LHC?

EDIT: it seems like you're explaining the null and alternative hypotheses approach with points 2 and 3. But doesn't really answer the question, unless I am to infer that the Standard Model is a separate research topic from the Higgs altogether, which from my understanding, it isn't.

[That came out wordier than I thought it would, but hopefully my query is still clear...]

The last sentence does answer the other questionl

I think golfers everywhere should be thankful for the higgs field and all it does. From my understanding its the reason we have inertia.

What would golf be without inertia?

Hilarious.

Quote:
http://postbulletin.com/news/stories/display.php?id=1502075
Scientists in Geneva announced last week that they had found a new subatomic particle that they were 99.999999 percent sure was the elusive Higgs boson, nicknamed the "God particle." Even though we had no earthly idea what that meant, we were definitely excited.
It's given us so much to think about: how existence began, the structure of the universe, the difference between bosons and fermions. And, of course, what it will mean to the presidential race.

The first thing all patriotic Americans are going to want to know is why something this important happened elsewhere. The Large Hadron Collider, where the physicists did the work, was built by the European Organization for Nuclear Research. We were building a Superconducting Super Collider of our own, in Waxahachie, Texas, but Congress stopped the financing for it in 1993.

"It's disheartening that a large number of fairly intelligent people could do such a thing," Leon Lederman, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist, said when the budget-cutting House of Representatives ended the program. This was, of course, a long time ago, back when Americans still undertook expensive, daring construction projects and believed the House of Representatives had a large number of fairly intelligent people.

But about the Higgs boson. As Dennis Overbye explained in the New York Times, it is "the only manifestation of an invisible force field, a cosmic molasses that permeates space and imbues elementary particles with mass." And we have so many questions. Does it provide evidence of the existence of parallel worlds? If so, is it possible to move to one that doesn't have Michele Bachmann?

Most of all, however, we want to know whom this helps in the election:

WOLFEBORO, N.H. — Mitt Romney today denounced Barack Obama for allowing Europe to beat the United States at particle physics research. Under his administration, Romney vowed, "All particles that bind the earth together will be discovered in America, by Americans and for Americans."

Under questioning from reporters, Romney said that his favorite kind of subatomic particle is the fermion.

SOMEWHERE ON A BUS — Speaking to a crowd of blue-collar workers in Ohio, President Barack Obama hailed the scientific news from Geneva as "a great moment in history, not unlike my rescue of the auto industry." The physicists who made the discovery, Obama noted, all had health insurance.

TRENTON, N.J. — Gov. Chris Christie today called for the privatization of the Higgs boson. "Binding the earth together is something that could be handled much more efficiently by the for-profit sector," the Republican governor and deeply available vice presidential prospect said. "Auctioning off the rights to the Higgs boson will create American jobs and balance American budgets."

When a reporter noted that the boson was discovered in Switzerland, Christie called him "stupid" and "off-topic."

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa — Rick Santorum today denounced the European Organization for Nuclear Research for discovering something that is nicknamed the God particle. "If God had wanted there to be a particle, he'd have given it to Adam and Eve," said Santorum, who is traveling through the Hawkeye State this week because, really, he doesn't have much else to do.

WOLFEBORO, N.H. — Aides to Mitt Romney said the former governor's favorite kind subatomic particle is actually the boson.

SOMEWHERE ELSE ON A BUS — President Barack Obama told a crowd of blue-collar workers that there have been more Higgs bosons discovered during his administration than during those of both George Bushes combined.

WOLFEBORO, N.H. — Mitt Romney said today that when he called for an American effort to beat the Europeans in particle physics research, he did not actually mean spending money to build a supercollider, but merely "the need for our physicists to think harder." The Republican presidential contender said he believed this could be accomplished by "the elimination of onerous, physics-research-killing regulations."

JUST OUTSIDE OF WOLFEBORO, N.H. — Protesters today passed out cartoons of Mitt Romney with a large, cuddly looking Higgs boson strapped to a crate on the front of his jet ski.

WASHINGTON — Surrogates for Barack Obama and Mitt Romney sparred over the meaning of the potential discovery of the Higgs boson. On "Meet the Press," Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana called it "a questionable throw of the dice by the same folks who gave us the euro."

On "Face the Nation," David Axelrod, the Obama campaign communications director, said that if the Large Hadron Collider had been acquired by Bain Capital it would have been "burdened with debt and sold for scrap metal" and that Romney would be "the most anti-physics president since Franklin Pierce."

NEW YORK — Donald Trump told reporters that "my people in Hong Kong" have uncovered evidence that America's failure to take the lead in subatomic particle research was because of a conspiracy between the Obama administration and unnamed Chinese industrialists. He also said that he had invited the Higgs boson to be a contender on "All-Star Celebrity Apprentice."

Gail Collins is a columnist for the New York Times.

-Bryan

Bag: TM Superfast Driver, TM Burner '08 3W, GigaGolf Irons, Yes! Sandy Putter

Originally Posted by Kapanda

That doesn't quite answer the question... was the Higgs the only purpose for the LHC?

EDIT: it seems like you're explaining the null and alternative hypotheses approach with points 2 and 3. But doesn't really answer the question, unless I am to infer that the Standard Model is a separate research topic from the Higgs altogether, which from my understanding, it isn't.

[That came out wordier than I thought it would, but hopefully my query is still clear...]

The last sentence does answer the other questionl

The LHC was also built for precision measurements, like the measurements of the top quark and the W boson masses (the current best measurements come from FERMILAB experiments). In the Standard Model they are linked with the Higgs mecanism and Higgs mass. Now that we have a Higgs we can test if they are compatible with the Standard Model.

The LHC was also constructed to search for new particles, like those predicted by supersymmetry, an extension of the Standard Model that may solve some of its shortcoming and could be a first step towards quantum gravity.

Originally Posted by Etzwane

The LHC was also built for precision measurements, like the measurements of the top quark and the W boson masses (the current best measurements come from FERMILAB experiments). In the Standard Model they are linked with the Higgs mecanism and Higgs mass. Now that we have a Higgs we can test if they are compatible with the Standard Model.

The LHC was also constructed to search for new particles, like those predicted by supersymmetry, an extension of the Standard Model that may solve some of its shortcoming and could be a first step towards quantum gravity.

That is correct. It is going to do a lot more than just measure the Higgs, but a major driver for its design was to reach the range of energies where the Higgs was thought likely to be found. I'd say that the LHC might not have been built if it weren't looking for the Higgs, but it certainly would not have been built if it were only looking for the Higgs. The Higgs was vital to this search because it was something concrete to look for, keeping the project from being a fishing expedition. It's one of the largest projects in the history of science, and that kind of investment needs a fairly clear purpose.

The other particles---supersymmetry, etc, are rather pie in the sky by comparison. It's quite encouraging that the probably-Higgs was found relatively early in the search. There's more that can be done with the existing data, and the accelerator will eventually explore even higher energies.  So there may be some big surprises left. The big difference is that there's a fairly long list of things that might be found, whereas the Higgs was the one piece that was missing from the puzzle we'd already put together.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 4309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!